The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2015, 07:34 AM

During this time of working through these issues, try to focus on other ways to bring glory to Him. After all, that's the real reason many of us are members of a worship team.

Prayers going up for you this morning, brother.

Martin Custom MMV
Taylor GS Mini
Paul Reed Smith CE24
Ibanez Performance PF-40
Ibanez Mandolin Electrified!
Lanikai Uke
Hagstrom Swede
Peavey Reactor
Old 03-22-2015, 08:24 AM

Kip,

Sorry you are having a tough time. When I have downtime from playing, often I will work on my charts and getting song cover ideas, or type up my original charts into some iPad app for performance later. This wood shedding on paperwork can be very time consuming. I use onsong, but as of late I am using ultimate guitar app to do all my chord charts and cover song ideas. I will often just listen to the radio, and jot down songs I might want to work on when I get back to the guitar itself. Sometimes I go to chordie and just browse others songbooks for song cover ideas.

Addison
Old 03-22-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Some really great suggestions and thoughts folks.. really appreciate it. Your ideas are vastly better than the GASing I have been up to in lieu of playing. It's a good thing I didn't have a budget to blow because i'd have spent a substantial fortune in these last several weeks.
Good grief don't do that.... as hard as it is for you not to be able to play, how much harder on you would it be if you had a newly acquired guitar sitting there staring at you..... hope you feel better soon...

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 03-22-2015, 09:25 AM

Hi Kip,

Sorry to hear you're indisposed. Please get better soon. You are the primary reason I got my LL16R-12 so I'll be praying for your speedy recovery.

"Difficulties may challenge mediocrity and defeat the fearful, but they only stimulate the true children of God."
Marshall DSL15C (Amp)
Old 03-22-2015, 09:29 AM

Get well soon Kip. I broke my finger, and have been away from playing for 5 weeks. One more week to go! In addition to playing I also do repairs and setups, so I've spent the last few weeks working on all my stuff. I leveled and polished the frets on both of my acoustics and two of my electrics, and did complete top-to-bottom setups. I also finished restoring an old Fender Deluxe amp from the 1950's that's been sitting unfinished in my shop for two years.

It's a great alternative to gear lust, because it's easy to fall back in love with the stuff you already own.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 03-29-2015, 03:37 PM

Default Update

Update!!

Great news guys! It may be temporary... but at least it is for now. Got some sample medication from my neurologist 9 days ago and it has done its magic once again and returned me to being a human being once again that can enjoy music without pain! So today I was able to play with the church praise team once again and only came way with a slight headache as a result. (was totally worth it!) It was awesome and my 12er just was happy to be in my hands again.

I only have 5 more doses of the med but going to go see the dr. tomorrow and beg for some more samples if he has them as the insurance still hasn't approved the drug yet (but it appears they will as soon as they receive a physician's letter of medical necessity' from my doctor) but it appears this saga may be soon coming to a close.

Thanks for all the prayer and well wishes.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 03-29-2015, 03:50 PM

Great news! Welcome back

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 03-29-2015, 04:04 PM

Good news. May you continue to be free of pain.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:13 PM

Default What I do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Bingoccc[/B];4415939]Another vote for studying music theory.
I play a hollowbody electric unplugged.
I got a good book on guitar maintenance and repair to study.
Some good advice there, Bing.
When I need a change or a rest for any reason I switch from physical practice to reading guitar theory and music theory and music history to just plain listening to folk and Celtic singing and classical music. Notice that I did not say "playing" anywhere in that series. That should follow soon; "Jingle Bells", anyone?
I have also found some strength in reading from the Buddhist tradition, but I see that our friend Kip already has that spiritual connection well taken care of.
Take care, Kip, and get lots of rest.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:21 PM

Many serious classical players visualize their playing using each hand independently. I have never had any success with this but it's worth a try.

Avtually, when I wake in the middle of the night and can't sleep with work problems on my mind, I have learned to visualize the fretboard as I play slowly a simple piece. No way to think about anything else when I do this. Soon, I fall back to sleep.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 PM

Does it hurt your fingers or hands to play? If not and it is only the noise, maybe pull a sock under the strings to quiet them down, or even tie a t-shirt around the neck/strings at the 10th fret.

There are numerous left hand exercises you can do without playing any notes... spiders, hammer-pull-hammer scales, etc.

For the right hand, work on rhythms while holding and muffling all the strings, this keeps your right hand loose.

All of these are quiet exercises so you can do them in front of the TV... do them and you are still doing real practice, not falling behind.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Update!!

Great news guys! It may be temporary... but at least it is for now. Got some sample medication from my neurologist 9 days ago and it has done its magic once again and returned me to being a human being once again that can enjoy music without pain! So today I was able to play with the church praise team once again and only came way with a slight headache as a result. (was totally worth it!) It was awesome and my 12er just was happy to be in my hands again.

I only have 5 more doses of the med but going to go see the dr. tomorrow and beg for some more samples if he has them as the insurance still hasn't approved the drug yet (but it appears they will as soon as they receive a physician's letter of medical necessity' from my doctor) but it appears this saga may be soon coming to a close.

Wonderful! Continuing to keep you in prayer, brother.

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
”Hydro Genesis” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
Old 03-29-2015, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Hey Kip, that's great news! Glad you're back playing.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:49 PM

Get well soon... Prayers sent...

Recovering from illnesses, I think about playing even when I'm too weak to play....
Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Update!!

Great news....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion