The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Hercules stands

I'm considering buying another Hercules stand but I've read some reviews by owners of these that after a couple years the foam starts breaking down and becomes gooey and sticky. They also report that the plastic breaks down too. I don't know if they've had the stands in the sunlight or something else that may have negatively affected the foam. I know some people here really like this brand and I'm wondering if anybody has some long term experience with their stands regarding the foam or the plastic.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Guest 213

Although I have not personally owned a Hercules stand, the overwhelming consensus from those who do seems to be they are excellent. I can't imagine why the foam would break down unless it was exposed to the elements.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:54 PM

I've owned Hercules stands for over 5 yrs. and none of those problems have cropped up.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-17-2015, 02:02 PM

I have owned one for several years and have not had any problems with the foam breaking down.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:03 PM

I own two Hercules stands, one of which I have had for 8 years. No problems at all.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 PM

10 years, maybe more. No problems.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:07 PM

I have a Hercules 5 guitar stand. It is excellent in every way and zero problems.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-17-2015, 02:08 PM

Apparently there was an issue with the plastics (not the foam) in the Home Series (the nice brown wood tone versions that I keep in the house).

The grip release for the up/down of the stem does get sticky. I've run across that with some other plastics made with that sorta "soft touch" feel to them ( a portable radio, for instance).

I believe that is why they discontinued that series. I have three of them and they're structurally sound & the parts that touch the guitar are fine.

The stock yellow/black ones (I also have three of those for stage work) have never had any issue and some of them are over a decade old at this point.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Default Hercules stand

I love mine and have never heard of that being a problem.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've not seen or used the 'home' series, but have used the standard yellow ' black ones for at least 7 years now. No issues whatsoever, they are solid, safe, dependable and the only stands I will trust my guitars on.

Cheers,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Apparently there was an issue with the plastics (not the foam) in the Home Series (the nice brown wood tone versions that I keep in the house).

The grip release for the up/down of the stem does get sticky. I've run across that with some other plastics made with that sorta "soft touch" feel to them ( a portable radio, for instance).

I believe that is why they discontinued that series. I have three of them and they're structurally sound & the parts that touch the guitar are fine.

The stock yellow/black ones (I also have three of those for stage work) have never had any issue and some of them are over a decade old at this point.

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone. I've never had any issues with mine either. I was looking at reviews on amazon and as is probably usual, the people with complaints make a review but the thousands of happy customers usually don't bother.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Although I have not personally owned a Hercules stand, the overwhelming consensus from those who do seems to be they are excellent. I can't imagine why the foam would break down unless it was exposed to the elements.
I can't attach this answer to guitar stands in specific. But, I've had SLR cameras where the rubberized body coating has broken down and turned to mush. It seems to be an indiscriminate occurrence, since I've had camera bodies which I bought at the same time, and perhaps even used more, which didn't do that....

You want to try and blame all the usual suspects, (heat, light, humidity, acid sweat, acid rain, etc.), yet it just seems to happen summarily, with no rhyme or reason. Sweat being a concern for a camera body, but obviously not so much for a guitar stand. At that, I usually refrain from walking around holding a camera, and prefer to leave it hanging from the strap when not in use.

You know, maybe the mixing proportions were goofed up, the batch wasn't cooked long enough, who knows.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitarre View Post
I'm considering buying another Hercules stand but I've read some reviews by owners of these that after a couple years the foam starts breaking down and becomes gooey and sticky. They also report that the plastic breaks down too. I don't know if they've had the stands in the sunlight or something else that may have negatively affected the foam. I know some people here really like this brand and I'm wondering if anybody has some long term experience with their stands regarding the foam or the plastic.
I did have this problem on my first (of 4) Hercules stand. They replaced the part at no cost. I have had no problem on any of the newer stands. Great product and great customer service.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitarre View Post
Hi Gitarre…

I have Hercules stands on my wall which are over 12 years old, and the foam is like new.
  • No breakdown
  • No Goo
  • No stiffening
  • No crumbling

They are in a room which never gets direct sun, but it gets sun.

I have 2 of the portable stands as well and they have not changed at all in the 3-5 years I've owned them (bought them at different times).

[/size]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-17-2015, 03:45 PM

Chiming in the same here: free-standing Herc for 5+ years now, and 10 wallmounts for several years (less than 5), and never an issue.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion