The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Guest316

Default Baden Guitars

Today we welcomed a new acoustic guitarist on our worship team, and he played excellently. He used a brand of guitar I had never heard of - "Baden". He let me play it for a few minutes, and I was very impressed. It was not at the level of my Gibson or Yairi, but it had a bright, quality tone and a lot of volume. I snapped some polaroids (sorry about the size, I've got one o' them new phones with a million megapixel camera lol):

I found the Baden website, which states that these instruments are made in Vietnam by a boutique shop. Again, the sound is very nice.

The body style is their version of a Dread, and our new guitar player states that his instrument costs $3500. I scanned the website and couldn't find a Dread there for over $1000, so I dunno.

But she was a sweet guitar. Anybody have any 411 on Baden guitars?

EDIT: I found a couple of $1200 dreads there . . . .
Old 03-29-2015, 02:03 PM

TJ Baden used to be VP of sales for Taylor, and went out on his own 5-6 years ago. These are nice instruments with a unique design aesthetic, and mostly built overseas. The few that I've tested have been tempting, but not at $3500, more like used under $800-$900. TJ recently set up a sales shop here in the Boise area, BTW. I don't know if he is still building or not. I've not had the time lately to go visit his store and chat with him.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:07 PM

Looks like a swollen backpacker.....I like it!
Old 03-29-2015, 02:08 PM

I owned 3 Badens two were the a-style models and one was the dred. They were nice unique guitars but I think he priced them a bit too high and couldn't compete with the big boys. Mine were all demo models so I got them for excellent prices. If I remember correctly some Custom shop Badens were being built by Pantheon Guitars and those are the ones with the very high price tags.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
I owned 3 Badens two were the a-style models and one was the dred. They were nice unique guitars but I think he priced them a bit too high and couldn't compete with the big boys. Mine were all demo models so I got them for excellent prices. If I remember correctly some Custom shop Badens were being built by Pantheon Guitars and those are the ones with the very high price tags.
There were a small batch of customs but I do not think that is one of them....typically new 900 to 1400 but many used ones out there at a great price point at the 500 to 750 range. I think because of the different look that they have been a love hate sort of guitar but I think they are a really great value particularly used for an all solid wood guitar.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 03-29-2015, 05:34 PM

The first time I had seen and heard of Baden guitars was on Warren Barfield's self -titled album from 2003. I have not played one but love the a series design.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:30 PM

Played a used one ( dread) a couple years ago, and I liked it a lot. Was 800$ cdn

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 03-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

I had an "A" style but sold it pretty quickly. Didn't have the right string spacing for me but the guy I sold it to loves it. Interesting guitars but I never know if TJ is in business or not? I wouldn't mind trying his dread but who knows whether it's returnable?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:27 PM

I've got one ...mine is a rosewood dred ....great guitar and got it new for cheap

Baden is still in business but only by phone or email as far as i know ...I called them and ended up talking to TJ for 3o minutes ...really interesting fellow..

[IMG][/IMG]
G&L Legacy USA 1996
Fender American Special Telecaster 2006
Basone custom Phoenix 2007
Kevin Green custom semi hollow
Kevin Green custom hollow body
Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 AM

The most expensive models were made, if I recall correctly, in the US by Pantheon Guitars (the workshop most often noted for Bourgeois Guitars). That would explain the "$3500" comment. The lesser-priced ones are/were made in Vietnam. (Baden is not a brand that you hear about all that much these days, at least not nearly as much as when they were introduced.)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:08 PM

Default Baden D Style Rosewood

I bought one in a pawn shop for $275. Guy did not know what he had. Sounds amazing i cleaned it up and put fresh strings on and it sounds as good as anything I have. Unfortunately I need to sell, but only because the nut size is 11/16ths and the big dread s just too tough on my shoulder. I am looking for an all-solid ahogany with bevelled armrest. I may just have to pay Taylor to custom make this for me. I want a concert size, cutaway electric with armrest. Anyone have any ideas besides Taylor? ANd I do love my Taylors.

Tyalor 814ce DLX
Taylor 812e DLX
Taylor KCE- 24
Taylor Koa Limited 12 Fret
Martin OMJM
Blueridge BR-163ce
Recording King RP616
Washburn Comfort Series
Taylor Big Baby (with crack... beach guitar
Breedlove C25/Sme
Blueridge BR-163ce
Recording King RP2-626
Taylor GS Mini
Old 01-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

FWIW, there's been a Baden A-style with pickup and OHC for sale in the AGF classifieds for a couple of months now. I have no dog in this fight, just trying to help out a fellow AGFer. I gave some thought to buying the guitar, but I think I want something with a wider nut.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemtneer View Post
......I am looking for an all-solid ahogany with bevelled armrest. I may just have to pay Taylor to custom make this for me. I want a concert size, cutaway electric with armrest. Anyone have any ideas besides Taylor? And I do love my Taylors.
Not a Taylor and not mahogany, but you might look into the Emerald X20 carbon fiber GA size. A beveled armrest is a standard part of the package, plus other ergonomic features. I have several Taylor GA's in various wood combinations but still play the X20 almost 100% of the time now. Emerald also now has a smaller "new version" X7 that is more like GC/00 size, yet by all reports sounds almost as big as the X20. Food for thought.....
Old 01-23-2019, 11:03 PM

Rather have a gooden
Old 06-23-2021, 08:10 PM

Hi, Just bought a Baden A Style Maple acoustic , think it's a 2008, not sure how to check though.. What gauge strings sounds best on this model?.. I like a rather lower action and am a strummer.. Thanks heaps Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion