The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 05:08 PM

I sense an additional business opportunity for Thalia enterprises coming on. How about "Thalia Capo Polish"?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Received my Thalia replacement today

I will echo the OP's comments in his initial post. Chris has gone to tremendous effort, and I'm sure great financial pain, to make things right with his backers/customers. He has done an exemplary job of communicating with all of us.

I received my replacement Black Chrome/Lacewood capo today. Quick review of the new one vs. the original one:
- It is a stunningly beautiful capo - by far the nicest looking capo I've ever seen!
- The black chrome on the new one is perfect. The original had some finish flaws/scratches.
- The lacewood veneer is beautiful on the new one. The lacewood on the original was pretty ratty looking.
- Most importantly - the tension on the new one is corrected. It is relatively easy to depress with just one hand. Because of the design of the Thalia capo, you don't have the leverage offered by traditional capos (Keyser, Dunlop, etc). The tension on my original Thalia was so tight it was almost guaranteed you were going to scratch the back of the neck unless you used two hands, were really, really slow and careful putting it on, and even then it's possible that because of the extreme pressure of the capo it might leave a slight indentation.

BUT, the new one is still a bit cumbersome to use and not easy to quickly put on or take off. I mostly play with the praise band at church, where we regularly roll from one song into another. Many times I have to put on or remove the capo between songs and I have just seconds to do so. I'm just not comfortable using the Thalia capo in that kind of situation. I'll stick with my Dunlop capo for live performances. Quick, easy and reliable.

I will use the Thalia at home or in casual playing situations where I can take my time putting it on or taking it off. Perhaps as I use it more I'll get comfortable enough with it that I'll try it on stage, but that's unlikely.

I applaud the entrepreneurial efforts of Chris and his daughter, and I truly hope they can learn from all of this. I'd love to see them come up with a new design - perhaps going back to the traditional style of capo (i.e.: like the Keyser or Dunlop), but adding in the Thalia "designer" touches - wood veneers, black chrome, gold, etc. Turns out we really need that additional leverage afforded by the traditional capo design (at least those of us that need to be able to make quick, easy and safe capo changes).
Old 03-28-2015, 10:58 PM

Got mine late tonight. My first reaction is that it's extremely difficult to squeeze and hold open with my left hand. It will not work for me that way.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:14 AM

Got mine too and will write a review in a day or so but agreed, it is harder than I want it to be. It's gorgeous and I am going to keep working the spring as it seems to be loosening up a little already. More to come....
Eastman AC412
Alvarez AP70
Yamaha LS16R A.R.E.

Gone:
Martin 000MMV
Martin MMV x2
Yamaha FG700S
Guild GAD30 Padauk
Want a bunch more...
Old 03-29-2015, 06:57 AM

I got my replacement this week. As others have mentioned, the communication along the way has been outstanding. My original was one of the black chrome ones with the stiff spring. When I let Chris know I put it on my guitar easily I also said it took me awhile to figure out how to open the plastic case and suggested that could be a problem for others. When he replied they would replace it but it might take awhile I told him no rush, I was scheduled for knee replacement and wouldn't be playing any time soon.

I was surprised when he sent the email to let me know the replacement was on the way that he asked how my knee was progressing, nice personal touch.

On to the replacement capo...it is A LOT easier to use, but before I tried it I noticed, or rather felt, they had changed the design of the plastic box. It now has two little tabs on the bottom that make it easier to open.

I tired it on my '53 Martin 00-18 (which I call ScarFace because was "rode hard and put away wet" by previous owners) first. It was easy to put on and holds the strings down nice and tight and keeps the tuning true. From there I moved on to my other guitars. The only problems I had were on my '62 Martin 00-21NY and my 2014 Blueridge BR-371, they both have 1 7/8" necks. The standard pad doesn't catch the 6th string. My other guitars have 1 11/16" or 1 3/4" necks, they were fine. For now I think I won't change the pad and continue to use my G7 on the 1 7/8" necks, but that is always an option since I got the complete pad replacement kit.

I'm glad I was a Kickstarter supporter and glad I have a Thalia Capo. In my opinion they have done what they set out to do, create a great looking very functional capo. There have been many bumps along the way for them but their customer service is outstanding.I wish them success as they continue.

Last edited by jgmaute; 03-29-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:22 AM

I received my first one today, but it's not worth the risk of damaging a valuable guitar to use it given the problems people have had. The neck cushioning is not nearly as nice as a G7, and I'm just not willing to mess up my neck with a new concept capo. Not sure what to do with it, now. Maybe eBay.
2021 Rainsong N-PA1000NSK
2022 Rainsong V-OM1000NSX
Old 03-29-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
On to the replacement capo...it is A LOT easier to use, * * * It was easy to put on and holds the strings down nice and tight and keeps the tuning true.
If this version is a lot easier to use, I can't imagine how impossible the heavy spring version was to use. When you say it was easy to put on, how easy? To me this still requires a LOT of left hand strength to fully open the capo and then to keep the capo open until it's fully seated on the guitar. A LOT more than, for example, my Planet Waves NS Capo Tuner even when not using the leverage but keeping my fingers close to the pivot point. The Thalia is much more difficult to open for me than shown in the Thalia video.

On the guitar, I quite like it. It surprisingly did not put the guitar I used out of tune and I actually like the slippery easy to move nature of the original pad. I did have trouble with it falling off the low e string when putting the capo on the 7th fret for a couple of tunes (like Here Comes the Sun). That's an issue.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:16 AM

I had mine for just over a week and it broke while opening it to put it on. The thumb lever slipped out and the bottom bracket had spread apart. Had some metal filings noticeable at that point.
I emailed them Fri Night, they got back to me within an hour, and a new one is on the way. That is impressive service.
I'm excited as it worked very well until that point. It happens, nothing wrong with the design or the way it looked from my point of view. I did replace the plastic for the rubber. Overall, it's beautiful!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:34 AM

I would go with what works..... Last thing I would want to worry about is a friggin capo at a gig.... I don't care how pretty it looks.

A $10 Kyser capo has been doing the job for me for years, and I've been using the same two as long as I can remember.... I mean if you have to worry about customer service on a capo, and the manufacturer has to circle back and fix problems with a remedial device that's been used on guitars for 100 years, then really to me that isn't good customer service IMO.

To me it would be like having to send picks back because they break my strings....
Old 03-29-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duane v View Post
I would go with what works..... Last thing I would want to worry about is a friggin capo at a gig.... I don't care how pretty it looks.

A $10 Kyser capo has been doing the job for me for years, and I've been using the same two as long as I can remember.... I mean if you have to worry about customer service on a capo, and the manufacturer has to circle back and fix problems with a remedial device that's been used on guitars for 100 years, then really to me that isn't good customer service IMO.

To me it would be like having to send picks back because they break my strings....
Duane, I don't think you get it, but that's fine.

And for me, a Kyser usually doesn't work. I have one or two sitting around somewhere, but they almost always put every guitar I tried them on out of tune. I know others have not had that problem with them, but I've seen numerous posts from others who share my experience with Kysers.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:14 PM

Just about ready to receive my 2.....a Koa and a Lacewood, curious to see how they came out and how effective the updates were.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 03-29-2015, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

So far it looks like great customer service for a product that doesn't actually work for most people. Too tight, breaks, leaves scratches, etc.

When the incumbent technology is very simple (except the G7), well liked, and very inexpensive, anyone coming up with a better, more expensive mouse trap has considerable odds to overcome and only one shot at success. As much as I applaud entrepreneurs, this Thalia project seems misguided or mismanaged.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duane v View Post

This is kind of my approach as I've read the multiple threads on Thalia, except that Shubbs are my favorite capo. If I need a quick change, Kysers do a 90% job. Having a blingy capo doesn't mean much if it scars my guitar neck.

This company's story is definitely commendable, but it seems their commidity is not, so in the end I don't know how well they'll fare.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 03-29-2015, 08:06 PM

I found a new video (about a week old) by Chris in which he appears to acknowledge that not everyone is able to open the capo easily with one hand and he shows a two handed method for putting on and taking off the capo. I'd like to see him post a video of Thalia putting on the capo with her left hand only. I'd be surprised if she could do it. I also noticed that none of the demo videos of people actually playing guitar show that person putting the capo on the guitar.

I sort of figured out the two handed method on my own today, and it's ok, but not great for live performance.

Here's the two-hand method video: https://vimeo.com/122773818
Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoloff View Post
Just about ready to receive my 2.....a Koa and a Lacewood, curious to see how they came out and how effective the updates were.
Unfortunately, even this new batch of lacewood was visually extremely disappointing. I previously chose another option, but I guess Chris decided to send lacewood since they got a new supply. But it's going back for a different inlay or I'll just take a refund and try to keep working with the other.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion