The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2015, 03:29 PM

This is why i am saving for a guitar before I get involved with a woman again seriously! So I can be like. Oh i had that before we dated.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffyw794 View Post
This is why i am saving for a guitar before I get involved with a woman again seriously! So I can be like. Oh i had that before we dated.
If you gotta explain your guitars while just dating someone, maybe consider a different train ride
Old 03-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duane v View Post
If you have a significant other, you're best telling him or her in advance before buying an expensive instrument.... Or be prepared to buy them something twice as expensive.
You've met my significant other I see.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:45 PM

My wife bought most of my guitars...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:45 PM

Default It happens to more guys than you think I guess...

We're on a little family vacation and I stopped in a famous guitar store to browse. The sales guy says he's got something for me... Puts a used D42 in my hands that had been rebuilt. Sang like angles were coming out of it. Met up with the family a little later. My wife says "did you buy it?" I thought to myself, "Huh, I didn't know that was an option!" Truth is, if I wanted a bunch of guitars, and the ability to impulse buy them - without guilt, I would not have gotten married and had a family. I don't consider it sacrifice. I consider it choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2015, 09:56 PM

I purged 20 low-med quality electric guitars, acoustics,and basses last February.Most were MIM,Chinese, Japanese,and Indonesian.

My wife asked my why I bought so MANY inexpensive guitars. She then asked me as to why I just don't sell most of my guitars and buy 2 or 3 very expensive one's I like to have.

I told her I wouldn't be happy with jut 2 or 3 expensive guitars.

Anyway, our compromise on my guitar buying is that I only buy good quality American made guitars that are crazy good deals. She's under the impression that only good quality guitars are made in America.

I've decided I can live with that, and I've been able to get some amazing deals in the last few months on some very good quality American made guitars.

Now we're both happy.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 03-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

i'm usually the one who talks my husband INTO getting another guitar, and he does the same to me if i'm thinking it over. of course, that sometimes means buying instruments we maybe should hold off on... so maybe a different kind of mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Mistake number one......never take anyone with you to GC.
Wife will say no, grandson will tell on you.
Always fly solo my friend.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:28 AM

Most guys who say this fall in one of two camps:

- They really are lusting after a guitar their household cannot and should not try to afford.
- They haven't brought their wife into the fold, sharing the joy.

If you are in the first camp, it is time to grow up. It's fine to lust after a toy, but it is not ok to use your wife as the personification of responsibility and blame things on her.

But I think more of us are in the second camp. These guys should do what I did: invite your wife to join you for an outing at a guitar store. Compare an HD-28 to a low-end, laminate Epiphone, so she can tell the difference. Then compare an all hog to that HD-28, and a gut string. She first needs to understand that there are differences at all.

In less than two hours, I had my wife reliably -- and blindly -- picking out a Taylor from a line of Martins, and distinguishing a 000 from a dread with frightening reliability.

She came away not necessarily appreciating it the same as I do, but she knew it was real, she knew that a nice guitar wasn't a prosthetic self esteem, and she valued the fact that I respected her enough to involve her in the decision.

Gretsch open back banjo (1972)
Walnut Creek mountain dulcimer (2004)
Old 03-30-2015, 07:15 AM

My husband insisted on me getting my K24ce and my GS5-12 and one of the mini's was a surprise gift from him. So, I have the opposite situation, which is good for me.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Guest 33123

My darling wife is very supportive of my playing and on our southern California trip last summer happily encouraged me to visit McCabe's, the National Reso factory and the Santa Cruz Guitar Co. factory where we got a 1 hour tour by Richard Hoover. The other day when I was wondering out loud how the heck I wound up with so many guitars she said "The problem is not that you have so many guitars, Doug. It's that you keep looking at other guitars!" She's very wise.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
You mean one wife out, one guitar in?
What a plan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion