The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMunkee View Post
Honestly?

I think they feel terrible under my fingers, they squeak worse than any other string I've played, and they made the two guitars I fitted them to sound significantly worse...
Same with the Martin Luxe Kovar, which ruined the sound of my OM21. There were odd days it sounded great, but a LOT more that it didn't. Shame I bought two packs 'cos I'm sure as anything not using the second set.
I'm not interested in a string that lasts forever if it sounds (to my ears) terrible all the time it's on there!

Still, to each their own - otherwise there'd only be one string choice for us all...

I know what you’re saying , Elixirs when they’re new they’re a little awkward since they have that new string brashness but also feel slippery . But once they’re broken in they sound really good and they tend to last forever. I don’t use them that often because of the price but do appreciate them on certain guitars.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
(snip)

If you want heavier than 11's but lighter than the 12-54 Thomastik give the Plectrum AC112's a go (12,15,24,33,44,59) just swop out the Low E.

Funnily enough I strung my H&D DS-12 with this set yesterday, it sounds positively monstrous!!! It sounds like Im playing it through an amp its so loud, this guitar already had a huge bass response due to the DS-12 design and quality of the build but with the 59 on the bottom...ohhh my...!
BOBSTER— Just curious what you used to replace that hog of a Low E @59. I have that set of Plectrums waiting to go on a Collings OM and don't really want to mess with my nut slot to accommodate it. Thinking to use my other favorite string (Newtone Double Wound Masterclass) in its place but I'd love to know what you chose and how it paired with the Plectrums.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaam View Post
BOBSTER— Just curious what you used to replace that hog of a Low E @59. I have that set of Plectrums waiting to go on a Collings OM and don't really want to mess with my nut slot to accommodate it. Thinking to use my other favorite string (Newtone Double Wound Masterclass) in its place but I'd love to know what you chose and how it paired with the Plectrums.

I usually leave it on and pick a dreadnought or my DS, I like the 59 on the bottom!

On the odd occasion I have swopped it out for a Spectrum 52 or 54. I did try the Newtone Double wound but it didn’t have quite the same timbre to my ears.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 03-21-2024, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Straight up Strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post
I like the John Pearse 610LM on my 00-SP, that's the Pearse Silk and PB string, similar to the D'addario E16, but warmer. I don't know if Straight Up Strings are available in the UK, they sound great on the H&D, I don't know if I'd describe them as warm, but the definition and separation in playing fingerstyle works with that guitar.
I’m a big user of Straight up Strings. Really like them on my H&D 00-SP. They have a nice fat sound. Great for fingerstyle and strumming. You can order direct from Rodger Simanof directly. He’s got a great newsletter he sends out every few months. The guy is great.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:49 AM

I’m also in the UK and I’ve been using Stringjoy Foxwoods on my guitars, including my H&D single O, where I use 12s. They’ve been good, balanced, clear and long lasting. However on the last two changes on the H&D, the low E has gone dead after about a month - I usually get 3 months play out of them, so that’s disappointing and expensive and spoils the pleasure of playing the guitar. I’ve been hearing good things about Daddario XS, so I’m thinking of trying some of those.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:36 AM

Well, I've started with the Thomastik as recommended, in 11-52.

Have to say I'm very impressed - they just sing with the guitar, no real need to wear them in (although, if they improve from this it will be wow!).

I've also got a set of Newtone Heritage doublewound to try once these are past their best. I'm hoping either the Thomastik last a long while, or the Newtones are as good, because I can get 2 packs of Newtone for every Thomastik!!

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 03-22-2024, 05:27 PM

Default Huss & Dalton String Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMunkee View Post
Well, I've started with the Thomastik as recommended, in 11-52.

Have to say I'm very impressed - they just sing with the guitar, no real need to wear them in (although, if they improve from this it will be wow!).

I've also got a set of Newtone Heritage doublewound to try once these are past their best. I'm hoping either the Thomastik last a long while, or the Newtones are as good, because I can get 2 packs of Newtone for every Thomastik!!

Glad to hear it! I find that Thomastik last a good while (3 months plus), just wipe them down regularly. Even when they ‘die’ they sound sweet, percussive and woody and I still love them. I have quite a few guitars so some of mine haveThomastik strings that are a year old and still sound great

Newtone are great but I don’t find them
similar tonally to Thomastik. Did you opt for double wound?
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 03-23-2024, 08:42 AM

12s kinda sucked on my 00-sp no matter which ones I've tried. My conclusion is the guitar is built way too lightly for those. The make it boxy and choke off the sustain. I have had good luck with 11s and even 10s. I think I have Elixr Nano PB 11s on there now. TBH -- I might go back to 10 next time... I think they were a little better.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 03-24-2024, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
Glad to hear it! I find that Thomastik last a good while (3 months plus), just wipe them down regularly. Even when they ‘die’ they sound sweet, percussive and woody and I still love them. I have quite a few guitars so some of mine haveThomastik strings that are a year old and still sound great

Newtone are great but I don’t find them
similar tonally to Thomastik. Did you opt for double wound?
Yes, Heritage Double Wound. I used to use them fairly exclusively, but moved away when I ended up with nearly all my guitars having slot headstocks. I'll be interested to compare them with the Thomastik over time.

I've DM'ed you as well, with other chat regarding guitars!

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Old 03-24-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
12s kinda sucked on my 00-sp no matter which ones I've tried. My conclusion is the guitar is built way too lightly for those. The make it boxy and choke off the sustain. I have had good luck with 11s and even 10s. I think I have Elixr Nano PB 11s on there now. TBH -- I might go back to 10 next time... I think they were a little better.
Proof that you really need to suit the strings to the guitar - I use 12s on everything, and have for a few years, but they definitely spoiled the guitar. As soon as I went back to 11s everything seemed to come together and work. Lesson learned!

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion