The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-11-2018, 08:27 AM

Hey Dru, hope you were watching the Canadian Ladies trounce the "team" of individual athletes competing as "not from Russia" (can you say non-sequitur? I knew you could). Must say I enjoy watching the Ladies play hockey, as opposed the bang-smash individual heroics that constitutes too much of the NHL these days (in my not-so-very humble opinionated opinion), and I have high hopes that the Mens team of non-NHLers will play -- and do! -- the same.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:44 AM

I’ve just been watching the men’s “Sliding down a sheer-walled death tube of ice on your backside on a tea tray” event.

Exciting stuff, bit too much frontal crotch view for my taste tho’ ....

I like the graphics where they show you the last guy’s path like a ribbon of solid colour, compared to the current guy’s path in a contrasting colour. (It’s red and blue, for those of you with black and white sets.)

Talking of red and blue, it’s time for Scotland to beat France in the Six Nations rugby tourney on BBC now !
Old 02-11-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Up here in Canada we don't hope for American success(generally speaking) because we're huge rivals in things like hockey but I have to admit that your Redmond Gerard winning a gold in slopeside snowboard ahead of two Canadians was inspiring to watch. He is 17 and only 5 ft. 5 in. and was the only American in the field and he just NAILED his last run! There's a MFTV movie waiting to happen there.Congrats to the little giant.
Yes, I watched him. Very impressive as he got his landings perfect. Also a very true sportsman the way he congratulated his Canadian competitors before he realised he'd actually won Gold.

YouTube
Old 02-11-2018, 02:09 PM

I like watching the Winter Olympics much more than the summer games.

Although, I find it nerve-wracking to watch the ice skating events, a perfect routine can be obliterated by a missed landing or other hiccup.
And I feel bad for them, of any flag, that have worked so long and hard to get to the games and have their dreams shattered by a split-second error.

A similar feeling happens when watching some of the downhill skiing events, but instead of just losing points/standings like the skaters the skiers often have major injuries.

(Skaters certainly get injured too, but not usually as severe as the skiers.)

I'm looking forward to the biathlon and the live events in particular.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

going to bed now so I can wake at 5AM to watch the womens pursuit live

(hoping Dunkel has a better day on the range)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-12-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Hey Dru, hope you were watching the Canadian Ladies trounce the "team" of individual athletes competing as "not from Russia" (can you say non-sequitur? I knew you could). Must say I enjoy watching the Ladies play hockey, as opposed the bang-smash individual heroics that constitutes too much of the NHL these days (in my not-so-very humble opinionated opinion), and I have high hopes that the Mens team of non-NHLers will play -- and do! -- the same.

Phil
Hey Phil, I'm on a business trip in the US so I didn't catch the game. I read about the Ladies team though - great win!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM

I've been watching most of it. Watching woman's half pipe now. Always amazed by the things the human body can do.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:28 PM

I miss, and prefered, the “all-amateur” olympics.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:04 PM

I used to love watching but just can't get interested any more. But doggone Auburn and Kentucky play basketball tonight and i'm all over that!
Old 02-14-2018, 04:24 PM

As a true Southerner, there is much about the Winter Olympics I do not yet understand, though I am enjoying learning. I take it that curling actually has nothing to do with hair? Listening carefully, I realized that at just the right frequency, all that yelling probably helps steer the outside linebacker stone through the first chuker, which is a decided advantage when you're shooting for a full twisting backside layout with a ripped entry. I decided the little brooms probably help reflect the yelling to the side of the stone where its ears are. Don't laugh. I hear they can be quite hard headed at times!

They have an event called Downhill. This confuses me. Aren't most of the skiing events downhill? I'd like to see somebody try climbing back up one of those ski jumps!

Anybody know when the Synchronized Skijoring competition will be broadcast? What about Icewater Polo? Is it true that next time they are going to combine Summer and Winter events, like Javelin Catching and Ski Flying?

cotten
Old 02-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

The Winter Olympics are my favorite. I love the mountains and snow. My Belgian mother instilled a love of skiing in our family, and I've done it all my life. Growing up in the Western US, I've lived in or near the mountains most of my life. As an artist and designer, I love the aesthetics of beautiful locations like Lillehammer, Albertville, and all the european alpine locations. This olympics I find the least aesthetically pleasing in my memory, but the events have been great.

Huge, un-abashed fan. Have done many of the sports many times. I guess the indoor events are not as appealing to me, like hockey and curling, which I'll never get. But the rest of it is magical to me.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:26 PM

The wife watches it a lot. I'm pretty much meh on it personally.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You know, my wife and I enjoy the Winter Olympics together but NBC's method of coverage makes it impractical to watch. You check the listing and it may say, for example, "Men's Luge, Curling Mixed Doubles, Alpine Alpaca Dancing." We want to watch the Curling but the only hour we have is entirely covered with the Alpine Alpaca Dancing and sidebar coverage of the Olympic controversy that the Belgian athletes are finding that their broccoli isn't tender enough and despite all plans Olympic teams have fallen short in their condom supplies.

Really?

We could DVR the shows until the next day but by then you know the results.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
You know, my wife and I enjoy the Winter Olympics together but NBC's method of coverage makes it impractical to watch. You check the listing and it may say, for example, "Men's Luge, Curling Mixed Doubles, Alpine Alpaca Dancing." We want to watch the Curling but the only hour we have is entirely covered with the Alpine Alpaca Dancing and sidebar coverage of the Olympic controversy that the Belgian athletes are finding that their broccoli isn't tender enough and despite all plans Olympic teams have fallen short in their condom supplies.

Really?

We could DVR the shows until the next day but by then you know the results.

Bob
Yes but Jamaica's huge upset win of the gold in Alpine Alpaca Dancing will go down in history and you may regret not having DVR 'ed
Particularly with the looming scandal that the Belgians may fed the Jamaican Alpaca's the broccoli in question, in an effort to thwart Puru's expected win.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-16-2018, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

We DVR them. It’s been pretty standard to avoid watching the news of late, so no big change there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic