The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Default My First YouTube

Well, I don't think I'm really ready for this.
I went over to a friend's house to help with a PA problem unprepared to do any recording. My friend asked to do a video with her FLIP camera. I just uploaded it to YouTube. (Wasn't sure what I was doing)
I'm not pleased with my vocals (I NEED some effects)
Guitar sounds ok
Not happy with my gorky prescence in front of a camera (didn't think it would feel that weird!)

All in all I think it's good enough to take a chance on some comments from the peanut gallery here. So............................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jcHIP20O0 (fingers crossed)
Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 AM

That was great!

I saw nothing wrong with that performance, aside from one spot where you might have stumbled on the quick chord changes. Even then, it was not that obvious. My impression was a stumble. I'd never heard the song so it might have been intentional, for all I know.

I love your voice. I know most people aren't trying to imitate, but you could be a dead ringer for Roy Orbison or David Byrne (Talking Heads).

I can't wait for more.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 12-16-2010, 12:21 PM

Well, thank you Rob! I was just emailed that they thought that was too high and that I should lower it an octave.
And the pendulum swings!

I can't hit most of Orbison.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:28 PM

Just checked out your YouTube channel. What a great job on Behind Blue Eyes! A very little delay/reverb combo on vocals might add to it.

You definitely have this production stuff down. Your audio sounds so great. How do you record?
Old 12-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I was just emailed that they thought that was too high and that I should lower it an octave.
An octave? Nah. Try it without the capo first, but it might be something you could transpose to E or D then capo to suit your voice. I noticed some stress points, but didn't think it was significantly out or your range. If you played it on a gig as is it would be just fine. Post some more.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't think I'm really ready for this.
I went over to a friend's house to help with a PA problem unprepared to do any recording. My friend asked to do a video with her FLIP camera. I just uploaded it to YouTube. (Wasn't sure what I was doing)
I'm not pleased with my vocals (I NEED some effects)
Guitar sounds ok
Not happy with my gorky prescence in front of a camera (didn't think it would feel that weird!)

All in all I think it's good enough to take a chance on some comments from the peanut gallery here. So............................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jcHIP20O0 (fingers crossed)
Not bad at all, Bob, as a matter of fact, it's better sounding than I expected for a "Flip." I enjoyed watching and listening. What guitar did you use...sounds pretty good and I like the sunburst finish! Very cool!

BTW - this probably should have been posted in "Show & Tell."

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM

First off I usually just hang in "Electrified" and I saw some talk of the Zi8 and the Zoom so I thought I was in the right place. If it needs to be moved someone should move it.

I think I sing slightly better than that. In a performance I'm belting it out a bit more which makes it easier to sing. I tried it a while back without the Capo and thought it sounded better "back then" with the Capo. I'll revisit that. It's certainly at the top of my range.

That's a Collings D2HSB and I think the guitar sounds better than in the video both acosutically as well as amplified. (It has a Fishman Matrix 2 in it and I got it used that way on ebay if you can believe that) That sunburst is what grabbed my eye!

PS That was also right out of the box. No warm up, no advanced notice, 1 take. I think I could have done better. I need to get me one of these video gadgets.

Last edited by BoB/335; 12-16-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Just checked out your YouTube channel. What a great job on Behind Blue Eyes! A very little delay/reverb combo on vocals might add to it.

You definitely have this production stuff down. Your audio sounds so great. How do you record?
Thanks, Bob. You're not the first one to suggest some reverb. Funny thing is, there is some there, I just toned it down some, thinking it was too much at first.

I record my acoustic with my two mics (in my sig) into my USB interface (also in my sig). I record whatever tracks I want for the song. Sometimes I'll do a separate vocal track, other times I'll do vocals and guitar on one track. Once I get the audio the way I want it, I put the video together.

Sometimes I'll record a video of my playing along with the finished audio, other times I'll do the video of my singing and playing (when I do guitar and vocals together). I just sync it up in MovieMaker.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 12-16-2010, 05:52 PM

Well I have this AED12FX that has a USB connection. I would love to learn how I can go through my board into my computer. I have no software and if I did I wouldn't know how to use it.

I figure I could have a condenser mic in one channel and my UST in another channel and blend them. I'd use my Beta 87A on vocals. But then IF I did get a recording I still wouldn't know how to sync it with a video. Seems like a lot to learn.

The FLIP looks easy.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Nice performance
This was taken with a flip? Not bad at all!
I agree with the bit of reverb on the vocals
Old 12-16-2010, 07:38 PM

Bob- awesome first video Bro. Keep them coming! The sound quality is better than I would have expected.

On those little flip type cameras. There are models that have a stereo mic mini plug input! You can probably plug the output of your mixer into the camera and get a better sound. I saw a guy on youtube who did this with a zi8 camera and condenser mics and got outstanding audio quality. I will post the link if I can find it.

The usb to the computer is the best route because you process and master the sound..but it is a labor of love type thing
Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
Bob- awesome first video Bro. Keep them coming! The sound quality is better than I would have expected.

On those little flip type cameras. There are models that have a stereo mic mini plug input! You can probably plug the output of your mixer into the camera and get a better sound. I saw a guy on youtube who did this with a zi8 camera and condenser mics and got outstanding audio quality. I will post the link if I can find it.

The usb to the computer is the best route because you process and master the sound..but it is a labor of love type thing
I need a Computer Recording for Dummies book. I have some love and some time for labor but no know-how!

I have been slightly looking over the cameras out there and am aware that some have audio inputs but I hear that on those the video isn't as good. Hopefully I get something soon that I can play with and get a few takes. I've been playing a long time and that video does NOT show it. Thanks to all for the kind words!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Good Job, Bob!

Aloha Bob,

A very nice job on a nice song! I know what you mean. It IS always weird when I see myself on camera as well, especially while singing. My playing is usually clean & decent. But I'm always so critical of my singing voice & sometimes, my lack of smiling because I concentrate so hard on the audio aspects.

It also must have been strange to have your YOUTUBE opportunity come up on you suddenly at a friend's house like that, huh? Very nice sounding & looking Collins guitar & playing. (good thing you weren't using that quacky Matrix on that piece - just kiddding, Bob. Just kidding! Ha!)

Overall, a very good effort & lots of guts to just put it out there like that to the world. Braver than I am.

Bravo, Bob!

Mahalo a Nui!

alohachris
Old 12-17-2010, 03:09 PM

Thank you Chris!!! It's not that it's weird having a camera record a "performance". I have handled a still camera plenty of times. It was that it was JUST me and the camera that was weird. My wife almost scolded me "Why aren't you looking into the camera?"It felt weird. Gotta hand it to those TV personalities that are always looking DIRECTLY into the camera. (News media and talk show hosts, etc...)
Also I've been an electric player hiding behind a band a lot of my life. Not used to being the only focal point.

I have hopes of replacing that soon. It would also be nice to have MY board and MY speakers if I am going to be doing a "live" recording like that picking up the "amplified" sound. I think I would feel more comfortable with my sound and I think that better sound would reflect in the video.
I NEED a camera.

Last edited by BoB/335; 12-17-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:45 PM

Great job Bob! I can so relate to you self criticalness... i just want my sound with me at all times-ness! Going through the same pains being baptized into the open mic scene. Keep up the good work! - sbb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD