The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-29-2010, 07:33 AM

Default dac needed for zoom h4n?

hello,

i recently acquired a zoom h4n and some monitors. to play back recordings through the powered monitors, i connect the monitors to the h4n directly using a splitter.

one thing i've noticed is there is a good amount of background hiss. this is probably due to my recording technique, but i wondered whether it might be due to playing back the recording via the headphone jack on the zoom.

also, i wondered whether it would sound better with an external DAC.

so another question is, what is the chain of devices folks use to play back recordings (before all the editing etc)?

should i be feeding the signal into an external DAC before the monitors? same question if i first was to transfer the files to my computer. are the DACs in computers (or the zoom h4n) typically good enough?

thanks!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewoodtree View Post
hello,

i recently acquired a zoom h4n and some monitors. to play back recordings through the powered monitors, i connect the monitors to the h4n directly using a splitter.

one thing i've noticed is there is a good amount of background hiss. this is probably due to my recording technique, but i wondered whether it might be due to playing back the recording via the headphone jack on the zoom.

also, i wondered whether it would sound better with an external DAC.

so another question is, what is the chain of devices folks use to play back recordings (before all the editing etc)?

should i be feeding the signal into an external DAC before the monitors? same question if i first was to transfer the files to my computer. are the DACs in computers (or the zoom h4n) typically good enough?

thanks!
If the audio out you are using is an analog out, connecting an external DAC will be useless. You used the term "splitter." Does that mean your output is feeding 2 devices at the same time? If so that could be the reason for the noise you are hearing on playback. Does the Zoom have a line out. If so, use it and not the headphone out and things should clean up considerably. One last thing: Have you bothered to read the manual?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 AM
*mahoganut*

Hi T. I use my H4n directly out into anything, using the headphone/line out (they are the same).

I suspect your noise issue to be most likely a lower signal to noise ratio than optimal - that means you are recording at too low a level, and when you playback you need to turn up the volume too much and you get the background noise. I'd also suggest your playback volume high from the H4n into the powered monitors (as high as you can without distortion) and then control the "listening volume" with the powered monitor vol control.

I'd also suggest testing the playback through a set of headphones or earplugs, or through your home stereo (you may have to get a 3.5mm->RCA adapter / splitter to do this) to check the noisy background. If, using the same volume from the H4n you don't hear the background noise, you can suspect the powered monitors, cables, or connections.

Cheers!
Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD