The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Default Zoom H4n vs R16/24

I have a quandry...(some of this has been discussed on other threads that started out as diff't topics, so, I figured I'd start this here):

I'm looking for a portable recording device. The two main purposes for this device are 1) capturing live performances and 2) capturing audio for videos (sometimes these are one in the same).

Also, though, I could find some uses for a device that operates as a portable multi-track recorder (and the MTR features of the H4n would not work for this. Basically, I would use it to do multitrack recordings (all at once) at rehearsals, or, for occasionally capturing percussion tracks when I'm doing "home-studio" type recording (loading a mix of what I'm working on at home), then recording my bandmate's tracks, then taking them back home to work on using my DAW.

Now - the multi-track use is not absolutely necessary. I have other ways of doing this that aren't all that convenient, but would yield results that are as good or better (basically using a laptop). However, having a device like the R16 or R24 which I could just leave in our rehearsal space would be much more convenient.

So - since my primary need would be met swimmingly by the H4n (I would like to experiment with the internal mics + 2 condensers placed on the stage to get a bunch of tracks I could blend), but the secondary (nice to have) desire for a portable multitracker would not be met at all.

So, what I'm wondering is - how would a device like the R16 or R24 meet the primary need - that of a portable/battery-powered field recorder? I don't really care about the size - the size of these is fine...I also don't really worry about setting up the external mics, though, I do recognize that to get 4 decent quality mics, I'd have to hook up 4 external mics, as opposed to just 2, but that's probably okay, too...

My question is - if I took a decent condenser mic, and hooked it up to the H4n and R16, is there a difference in the quality?

Right now - I'm leaning toward the H4n, but if I can effectively get the same quality out of an R16 or R24 for portable recording, with the added benefit of the multitracking, and 8 track simultaneous recording - I'd give that some consideration.

Thoughts?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD