The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Default Goo-Gone Anyone?

So, I'm sitting here at my desk removing price stickers from a couple of books I got today (I don't know why some of these book stores use those things) and got to wondering how well Goo-Gone would work as a guitar body and fretboard cleaner.

Their web site is no help and the only thing it says on the bottle is that it's good for "most" surfaces. Active ingredients are shown as "petroleum distillates".....I've never used it on a guitar's body OR fretboard....

Anyone have any experience with using this stuff on their guitars?? I think it would be less abrasive than some of the so-called guitar polish I've seen.

And, it sure has a nice "lemony" smell to it. Any opinions?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:59 PM

I did use the Goo-Gone brand stuff on some guitars to remove adhesive (from camera tape or velcro)
No trouble to date.
BUT (disclaimer) : I would test on some not so visible part of the finish before commiting. I wouldn't be considered responsible of a disaster.

I don't know, either, if the stuff could be good to clean the fretboard. I never clean my fretboards, anyway.
Goo-Gone is not sold as a wood protecting product. Who knows what's inside the bottle ? Handy for a lot of things, tho. And nice lemon smell indeed.

Jean-Paul Bataille
www.fingerstyle-guitar.com/jean-paul_bataille/
Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 PM

Coincidentally, last night I used some to clean pickguard goop off the top of my Guild CO-2, which has a nitro finish. I tested it on a comparatively inconspicuous place, saw no sign of ill effects, and proceeded to use quite a bit of the stuff. Twenty four hours later, the smell is almost completely gone, and the finish is fine.

Of course, YMMV, and all that, but I thought it was funny, as I'd just decided, somewhat on a lark, to try it last night.

The guitar, btw, looks much better w/out a guard.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:42 PM

I just used Goof-off to remove pickguard goop.. earlier tonight. On my Silvercreek T170 which is a poly finish I think. No issues as well. Messy though...

Vincent

Last edited by vhuang168; 01-13-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 PM

! Man! At first glance I thought you were going to say your finish was peeling away after looking at that picture, Vincent! Glad it's just PG Goo! .

Ryan
Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 AM

If I were me I'd stick with plain ol' naptha. I"ve never seen it hurt any kind of finish yet, and I've used it on almost every kind of finish you can think of - lacquer, shellac, polyurethane and old-fashioned varnish.

It's clean, evaporates quickly, and relatively cheap.

Jeff
Guild X-170
Guild B4E
Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_L View Post
If I were me I'd stick with plain ol' naptha.
Hi all...
Have to agree. I use Goo-Gone for things that are tough on my kitchen floor (marks, or grease spots etc) or stickers welded to bottles.

I don't have any stickers stuck to the guitar, or shoe marks.

Naphtha evaporates completely and leaves nothing behind, whereas Goo-Gone always leaves a film behind - kind of a greasy one.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 AM

I just edited my post above, I used Goof-off and it left no residue. Squeaky clean!!

Vincent
Old 01-13-2009, 09:37 AM

I'd only use goo-gone (or any other solvent) on a well finished (poly not laquer) surface. I would NOT use it on an unfinished wood like your fingerboard. If your fingerboard is dirty, use a good wood cleaning product followed by a good wood conditioner. A very dilute Murphy's oil application would work for cleaning. Pledge makes a revitalizing oil. Don't use petroleum-based solvents on naked wood, they can dry and check it.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 PM

Ive used it a couple of times on a really dirty fingerboard when i bought a used guitar - and then when it dried I used lemon oil on it-worked well for me ( Rosewood fingerboard )
Old 01-13-2009, 09:10 PM

I agree about naphtha -- it is, after all, the Erlewine approved solvent. I just didn't have any on hand, I had some Goo Gone, and I was too lazy/impatient to get naphtha -- so I gave it a whirl. I expected a critical failure, even on the small test spot. But it turned out just fine.

So, while it may not be the best, it can work with care.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:27 PM

We recently bought a new washer-dryer set (high-end front loads equivalent in cost to the street value of new 800-series Taylor) which has the plastic front doors you can see through. The delivery guy said NOT to use Goo Gone on those doors as they would cause it to become hazy and harder to see through. Instead he recommended using WD-40. We did and it worked PERFECTLY. I don't know if WD40 would work as well on guitars but if it left the finish "clearer" than the goo gone on the washer, it may do the same on guitars. You would probably want to search a bit on the internet to see if anyone else has used it on guitar finishes.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM

Maybe I'm out of the loop on this, but I can't believe anyone would consider using a petroleum distillate on wood, or for that matter, anything that wasn't enamel or stainless steel. And WD-40? Wow. I oil hinges with that.

I've used Oops -- a naphtha product -- to pull many pickguards, and it's very kind to poly finishes. Never e hiccup. For the fingerboard, a drink of lemon oil to quench a winter thirst. As God intended. ; )
Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broknprism View Post
Maybe I'm out of the loop on this, but I can't believe anyone would consider using a petroleum distillate on wood, or for that matter, anything that wasn't enamel or stainless steel. And WD-40? Wow. I oil hinges with that.
I believe naptha IS a petroleum distillate, isn't it?

Jeff
Guild X-170
Guild B4E
Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 AM

To clean the body: VIRTUOSO CLEANER
to clean the fret board: LEMON OIL.

Just my 2 cents worth (from my grubby, sticky little fingers)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion