The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-22-2014, 03:37 AM

Default Strumming technique - breaking the G-string

Folks,
I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with my playing technique. I always seem to break the G-string. It's always been a problem, on different guitars, different strings. Moving to .13-s didn't help. Changing/sanding the saddle didn't help. I'm not a super heavy strummer either, around 7-8 on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is, say, Bruce Springsteen at the Seeger sessions.

Currently I use Martin SP .13-s (phosphor bronze) and 1mm Wegen picks. I strum over the back end of the soundhole, holding the pick with 2 fingers (thumb+index)

What could solve my problem? What should I pay attention to, when playing? Many thanks in advance!

http://facebook.com/greggalemusic
Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 AM

Play lighter, or further from the bridge.

The singer in my band (acoustic player) used to habitually break strings at gigs - usually the D - and it was all down to his aggressive strumming technique, close to the bridge (the string always broke at that end).
I'm not sure what he did to correct it - either used a lighter pick, or moved his strumming point - but he breaks much fewer strings these days.

I would never use anything as heavy as 1mm to strum with. I find I can get an aggressive enough sound with 88 or even 73. And you'd never break a string with those picks, IMO - they bend first (or break themselves). I use 11s on my acoustic. Never ever broken a string when playing (in over 40 years). And I think I can play loud enough when I need too.
I also hold my pick in a different way from most folk: between tips of thumb, index and middle (mostly thumb and middle). That means I can change the tension of the grip easily - or the angle of the pick - when I need more (or less) impact.

It does depend on amplification though. Without an amp, in any live scenario, my acoustic (with no pickup) feels underpowered. It's not easy to get close enough to a mic. But with a PU in the guitar - through an amp or PA - no problem of course.
IOW, if you have a PU of some kind in the guitar, then there's never any need for heavy strings, heavy picks, or hitting it hard.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:08 AM

You didn't mention where the string is breaking. If it's at the nut or bridge there may be something there causing it. You could check them and also use a dry lube on the nut slots.

Choking up or leaving less of the pick sticking out from your grip may help some. A bevel on the pick may also.

If you keep breaking stings, strumming a little easier may be the lesser of the two evils.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:21 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it always breaks at the bridge. but it happened with my previous guitars, and even after I replaced the saddle on my D-35 to a bone one.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

A couple thoughts:

The G-string is under the greatest stress. It is a combination of the cross sectional area of the core and the pitch of the string.

See more on this here

So, if any string is going to break, it will most likely be the G.

It could absolutely be that you are simply strumming/picking way too hard on the string.

If it is breaking at the saddle, then its not a nut slot or tuning issue.

Strings will break at the point of most stress. This will typically be where the string is restricted, held, pinched, etc. So, its not unusual that it will break at a point of contact such as the saddle, rather than some random location along its length.

Also, you could be stringing the guitar in a way that adds stress, especially at the bridge and bridge pins. For example, if you are pre-bending the strings when putting them in or doing something like that. Again, if you are stressing all the strings, the G will likely break first.

I suspect its the way you are using the bridge pins, loading the strings, or something there.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Also, you could be stringing the guitar in a way that adds stress, especially at the bridge and bridge pins. For example, if you are pre-bending the strings when putting them in or doing something like that. Again, if you are stressing all the strings, the G will likely break first.

I suspect its the way you are using the bridge pins, loading the strings, or something there.
Hmm...I do pre-bend the string. I've read somewhere that it has to be done that way.I pre bend it just a little, load the string, push the pin in, then I pull the string to apply constant tension while winding the string on the tuning peg.

It's possible that I'm doing something wrong...

Old 08-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

There is no need to pre-bend the strings. Pre bending strings is very bad for them and creates a stress concentration.

You should never pre-bend a string at the ball end.

That's why they are breaking.

There is no need, anyway.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write