The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-08-2015, 07:52 PM

Default What is this technique called?

Hi,

Say you have 3 notes of a chord you can pluck with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd finger(G.B, and E strings for example), but instead of plucking all at once, the G B and E are plucked one after another quickly, just like sweeping with a pick. Is there a name for this technique that is solely related to fingerpicking?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2015, 07:55 PM

I call it a "roll" if the sequence fast, slowed and in time it would be arpeggio.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumba View Post
Hi,

Say you have 3 notes of a chord you can pluck with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd finger(G.B, and E strings for example), but instead of plucking all at once, the G B and E are plucked one after another quickly, just like sweeping with a pick. Is there a name for this technique that is solely related to fingerpicking?

Thanks
It's an arpeggiated chord, indicated in sheet music with a squggly line in front of the chord. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arpeggio. See also http://www.classicalguitarcorner.com...al-guitar/502/ a little ways down the page. Also called a broken chord.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:09 PM

i call it "rolling a chord". it's easy to do, and effective, but prone to overuse.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:28 PM

Gotta be a snazzy Italian word.....maybe it is frappucino or al dente or prosciutto or something like that, right?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 03-08-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Gotta be a snazzy Italian word.....maybe it is frappucino or al dente or prosciutto or something like that, right?
rotolo accordi
Old 03-09-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
rotolo accordi
You made that up.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
You made that up.
yea, but it has a nice ring to it.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:58 AM

it is called Rasqueado it is a flamenco tech where the fingers do like a triplet . I think that is what you are referring to.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoE View Post
it is called Rasqueado it is a flamenco tech where the fingers do like a triplet . I think that is what you are referring to.
Rasgueado is a strumming technique where the fingers of the right hand strum, often successively with rapidity. That is different from an arpeggiated chord, where the notes of a chord are plucked once individually in rapid succession so as to separate them. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasgueado and compare with the description previously cited for arpeggiated chord, but note that the squiggly line is sometimes used to denote either in sheet music. Context and fingering notation will indicate which is implied. So rasgueado would be strumming down with the index finger, for example, where an arpeggiated chord would be plucking e,g,c,e on the 4,3,2,1 strings with p,i,m,a in rapid succession.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:54 AM

there are a few videos on youtube. i watched the first half of this one and thought it was pretty ggod.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:24 PM

well I am not sure what he is trying to say he said like sweeping ..hard to know with out a video of the tech. but yes a ras is strummed down 1st, 2nd and 3rd doing a triplet ..in my case sometimes 2nd 3rd and 4th when I hold a pick. but then it is a oral tradition ...
Old 03-09-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
Rasgueado is a strumming technique where the fingers of the right hand strum, often successively with rapidity. That is different from an arpeggiated chord, where the notes of a chord are plucked once individually in rapid succession so as to separate them. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasgueado and compare with the description previously cited for arpeggiated chord, but note that the squiggly line is sometimes used to denote either in sheet music. Context and fingering notation will indicate which is implied. So rasgueado would be strumming down with the index finger, for example, where an arpeggiated chord would be plucking e,g,c,e on the 4,3,2,1 strings with p,i,m,a in rapid succession.
Yep. With rasgueado, each finger involved would typically strum several strings and each finger would typically strum the same group of strings and not individual more or less. Also, rasgueado is not just an i,m,a downstroke triplet though it can be. The thumb can be involved and one or more fingers/thumb can play both upstrokes and downstrokes.

Pretty sure the OP is referring to the arpeggiated chord or chord roll if you will.

hunter
Old 03-09-2015, 04:24 PM

Rasgueado:

Rolling (arpeggiated)

Old 03-09-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Yep. That word is arpeggio.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical