The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-23-2015, 10:21 PM

Default New Pono Hybrid

My new Pono N-30DC Nylon Hybrid Guitar was delivered today. Really like it... Pretty different from my Hill Munich. The Pono has killer basses and clarity although the high E and B don't quite have the presence of the Hill (yet?). Overall very nice though. I am pleased so far.

I immediately restrung the Pono with Savarez hard tension Cantiga basses and alliance trebles. This pretty much transformed the guitar from kind of meh to really pretty great.

I got turned onto the Pono through a post by Ukejon. He nailed it with his description, and this instrument sits perfectly between my Hill classical and 2013 D-18. Repertoire from the nylon and steel string worlds work great on the Pono... Baden Powell and Leo Kottke on the same guitar. Super fun.

The folks at Pono were very nice in answering my questions. All was as promised.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 AM

Ponos are nice guitars. I have been interested in their nylons... please keep us posted on it and it would be great to see pics/video and sound clip...

Enjoy your new guitar... gene
Old 02-24-2015, 01:55 PM

It never happens without the pics
Old 02-24-2015, 04:50 PM

bigfrancis, so glad to hear you like the Pono crossover. Really fine instruments.

And Gene, here is the thread I did with some pics and sound samples:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...highlight=Pono

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-24-2015, 06:34 PM

Really is a fine guitar, and not at a crazy price. I've played many of the factory crossovers – they didn't do much for me. This one, however really speaks... the Pono folks have done a great job.

Kind of a cop out, but the guitar looks exactly like the one shown on the pono site.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
bigfrancis, so glad to hear you like the Pono crossover. Really fine instruments.

And Gene, here is the thread I did with some pics and sound samples:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...highlight=Pono
Thanks Ukejon... nicely done... Gene
Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Hi bigfrances, great to hear your impression of the N30DC. Mines on the FEDEX truck out for delivery right now. Can't wait. Nylon strings are new to me so I'd like to try your set-up can you tell me the product number of your Saverez strings? Is it the 510ARJ set?

And I tip my hat to UkeJohn also as his input convinced me to make this purchase.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 AM

Default Me too

I also bought the N-30 DC based on ukejon's thread. I got mine last week and it gets better the more I play it. Thanks for leading me to this wonderful instrument.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:14 PM

Its a darn pono hybrid vortex… Can't put the darn thing down (just ask my wife. ha.).

I found that putting on carbon strings in a hard/high tension brought the clear voice of the instrument to life across the register. The ones I have on right now are the Savarez 510AJ Alliance/Cantiga High Tension set. They work really well, and as I said earlier are a vast improvement over the strings on the guitar when I got it. D'adarrio makes a new carbon string set (D'Addario Classical Pro Arte Carbon EJ46FF Hard Tension) that I haven't tried yet. Hannabach Goldin Med/hard Tension trebles are good - although they seem a little stiffer in feel… There are lots of other choices. Classical guitar strings can be pretty confusing as lots of folks mix trebles and basses of different string types/manufacturers.

www.stringsbymail.com is a very good online resource for classical guitar strings.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Thanks bigfrances. I started perusing the nylons and it is overwhelming.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:49 PM

Great string advice, bigfrancis. I'll try the Savarez 510AJ Alliance/Cantiga High Tension set (have regular hard tension Savarez on right now which are quite nice). Never even have heard of Hannabach Goldin. They look very interesting.

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
Old 02-26-2015, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Very interested in this guitar...

What kind of volume are you getting out of it? I like my nylon stringed guitars to be loud and punchy.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:19 AM

To my ear, the nice large body and particular bracing make this Pono crossover not only loud but also voluminous sounding. The note separation is really lovely, with clear sustaining low tones and nice bell-like high tones. I realize that great traditional classical guitars do this beautifully as well, but for a commercial and affordable crossover this Pono is quite distinctive and appealing, especially to a steel string player like me.

As for "punchy" not too sure what you mean. This guitar has a quick attack and you really can dig in both picking and strumming. None of that rubbery feel and muted sound found on some other crossovers.

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
Old 02-26-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post
Very interested in this guitar...

What kind of volume are you getting out of it? I like my nylon stringed guitars to be loud and punchy.
My experience matches ukejon's response. It's almost like I had a guitar custom made to my specs… pretty cool. Love the minimalist aesthetic. Woods are beautiful. Workmanship very nice.

Thanks ukejon for the great write-up in your earlier thread. This guitar has displaced my Hill Munich as my favorite. I have probably owned (and sold) 40 or more (yikes!) instruments since I bought the Hill 15 years ago, and only the Hill remains... so the Pono is really something special.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:35 AM
Charter Member

Thanks guys, from what you are describing it's exactly what I want.

"Punchy"... lol ya I suppose that is pretty open to interpretation! A better way to ask would be with a song example. How do you thing this guitar would sound if used to play Signe by Eric Clapton?

Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical