The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-25-2017, 12:30 PM

Default ROAD RAGE! How Do You Deal w/ Idiots?

Not another dumb thread!

Okay, not sure if anyone remembers but I had some anger issues that surfaced whenever I got behind the wheel. After getting some great wisdom from members like Sir Cotten, I was able to calm down and have stopped driving aggressively and have stopped reacting to dumb things that other drivers do. However, this past weekend, this car cuts over 3 lanes almost missing an exit. I got cut off and this car put my wife and my son in absolute danger when this vehicle cut us off on a highway. How would you have reacted if you were me?

Me? I lost my cool and flipped off the driver.

I guess what really ticked him off was the fact that I flipped him off but was only looking straight. He was trying so hard to get me to turn and look at him.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM

You'll need to be more specific than "idiots" Term cover majority of the driving public
Old 07-25-2017, 12:44 PM

Drive defensively. Realize that your anger does no good so far as affecting the other driver's behavior, it just increases your blood pressure and makes YOU more likely to do something stupid putting your family at risk.

Most US drivers couldn't finish one MOPAR qualifying lap to save their mortal lives. A good many couldn't find the finish line without Google maps.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-25-2017, 12:45 PM

your finger won't stop them. number 1 priority is family not you(altho you are driving), so let them do what they want and you should minimize any further possibility of danger. that means slow down, change lanes or whatever it takes.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
your finger won't stop them. number 1 priority is family not you(altho you are driving), so let them do what they want and you should minimize any further possibility of danger. that means slow down, change lanes or whatever it takes.

play music!
This is another great line. The other one was, "it is not personal." That helped me a lot. Thank you for your wise saying too. You're right, my finger does not stop them and by the time I am flipping them off, they've already committed a dumb sin on the road. Sigh...I already mid 30s but still got lots to learn.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Do what all of us do. Flip him the bird, call him a name, and complain to your wife about how some people shouldn't be allowed to drive. Then just keep on driving.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-25-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Language
Old 07-25-2017, 01:36 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

You have to ignore them.

Driving in The UAE is a good way to get over road rage because by the time you have reacted to the first incident of the day there will have been 6 more by the time you take your next breath. This is not an exaggeration.
To give you a starting point for you to grasp how bad it is they consider using indicators as a sign of weakness.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

You have no effect on the other driver, but what are your actions teaching your son?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 PM

Things I have considered doing but will never do since they could be a criminal act.

1. Shake a coke can and throw it at or into the vehicle.
2. Take the shredder bin from work, get in front of the vehicle, and unload all the paper out of the bin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
You have no effect on the other driver, but what are your actions teaching your son?
Exactly what my wife says.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
Exactly what my wife says.
Smart woman, clearly...
Old 07-25-2017, 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=Rudals;5420721]Things I have considered doing but will never do since they could be a criminal act.

1. Shake a coke can and throw it at or into the vehicle.
2. Take the shredder bin from work, get in front of the vehicle, and unload all the paper out of the bin.[QUOTE]

What do you do when he pulls out his concealed carry .357? Don't escalate an already bad situation.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Guest4562

If there's an object ahead or other road hazard I don't get mad at it, I simply deal with it, drive around it, slow down, whatever. If there's a human caused hazard I simply deal with it as though it were the result of a non-human cause.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 PM

Uh...I am not proposing that I do these things but just saying I have gotten so mad at times that I pondered doing absurd things like this. A cigarette butt can be consider, by definition, a missile if it is flicked out of a car and hits your car per the police. So I would not even think of doing things that I mentioned above.

I am usually just chill and always keep a safe distance between me and the car in front. But people take advantage of even that by cutting in. I let things just go. But if it crosses a threshhold then a switch flips.

My wife says why are you cussing at them, they cant hear you but your son and your wife can. Wife is always right...weird.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:30 PM

I drive my car the same way I ride my motorcycles...

I assume everyone on the road is out to kill me, and sometimes they almost succeed...sometimes I think it's out of ignorance, sometimes I believe it's an intentional act of anger and rage...

Of course, no one's killed me yet, so when these things happen, my first reaction is relief, and my next is to get as far away from the idiot as possible, and get my mind back on my driving...

Because the next idiot is coming right up...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic