The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 08-10-2023, 11:00 AM

Default Question Re: String Gauges on Timberline T70HGc

Hi there HGers!

I'm wondering if anyone is playing heavier gauges than what comes standard (11-52) on the Timberline T70HGc. My preference on my acoustic guitars has been 12-53. I'd like to put that set on my T70, but I'm concerned about long-term string tension issues, and I'm wondering if there are any other special considerations because of all that body and wood. I'm also wondering if the sub-basses can remain the same, or if a gauge increase should include both string sets.

Thanks in advance!

Victor
Old 08-11-2023, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Hi Gregg Miner, is the expert on harp guitar string gauges and he was involved in the production of the Timberline guitars. Contact him at his website
Old 08-11-2023, 12:40 PM

Thank you!

Victor
Old 09-22-2023, 06:43 AM

Greetings,
I've had the TG60HGc since around when they first came out five years ago. It has held up very well to all the tunings I've subjected it to. I have always stuck with lights for the 6 fretted strings. For the subs I am currently using:

It is typical for me to have the lowest sub somewhere between an E and G, most often an F or F#. I will occasionally take the highest sub up to a F or even a G, but D is more typical. So what I like use on the subs is a compromise somewhere between what Gregg would likely recommend for more standard vs Bennett tunings.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar