The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker36 View Post
???? Totally irrelevant and off subject. What does that have to do with banning bake sales?!?
I would think that the point is obvious. If there is a need to ban bake sales and Girl Scout cookies to fight childhood obesity. The obvious implication is that childhood obesity is rampant enough to warrant such extreme measures. While at the same time we are told that 1/4 of children don't get enough to eat. Out the remaining 3/4, one would have to factor that a sizable portion are properly nourished and of proper weight. Therefore diminishing the truth in claims of rampant obesity. And the need for such extreme measures.
There have always been fat, skinny and "normal" weight kids. I would agree that there are likely more fat kids these days. But would also attribute that to lack of exercise. In decades past, kids were much more likely to go outside and play. Thus gaining exercise and burning fat. Now days they play video games, internet and have 24 hr. TV channels with programing especially formatted for them. IMO if one really wanted to fight childhood obesity, restricting these would be a much more effective option.
But my main point is that while there may be an element of truth, such causes often go to extremes. Both in the statistics they report, and the solutions they devise.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:55 AM

If this sort of thing bothers you the solution is really simple - get involved in your community and school board because that's where this sort of policy is made. Then be involved in your kids' education and know their educators because that's where policy is enforced.

I'm involved in my community and it never ceases to amaze me how people will waste time, energy, bandwidth and disk space everywhere but the place it really counts.

How simple it is when the issue is in your front or back yard: I'm on deck at city hall to testify at a hearing tomorrow and my prediction is I'll be among the .00001 to .00005 percent in my city who show up when it seems like .4 of the city makes noise about the issue. You'd be amazed at what 2 hours of facing the right people will do compared to 2 hours spent barking in the wind.

My trips to city hall and school admin building are a few times a year and take .5 to 1.5 hours. They bring more results than talk at the bar or wasting time, disk space and bandwidth on on web forums.

Give this a try when something bothers you. You meet good people even if they may not share your view because the caring and best people are often engaged with what's around them.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:11 AM

that article was a total of 123 words, not counting the headline.

i consider it anorexic. it was also carefully crafted for maximum blood rush effect while providing little or no nutritional value.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic