The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-25-2017, 07:06 PM

Default Well...here is the hollowbody I bought....

The cognac burst finish was beautiful, but I went with natural.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:11 PM

wow! great looking setup! i love the p90 guitars i have.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-25-2017, 07:36 PM

How do you like it? I'm thinking of buying either a Godin Jazz or the Composer.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPO View Post
How do you like it? I'm thinking of buying either a Godin Jazz or the Composer.
I haven't had much time with it, but so far I love it. Feels good in my hands. My son in law, who is not a hollowbody guy, also loved it. Same with the man I had do a setup. He played it for over an hour last night and was impressed.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:36 PM

any particular reason you are focusing on those models?

Single pickup jazzboxes are great, but they are single pickup. And a floating pickup is what it is. If you're playing with a bass player you might run into issues at higher volumes.

If that scenario is going to be a regular situation, I'd go with the composer's ring mounted humbucker.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
any particular reason you are focusing on those models?

Single pickup jazzboxes are great, but they are single pickup. And a floating pickup is what it is. If you're playing with a bass player you might run into issues at higher volumes.

If that scenario is going to be a regular situation, I'd go with the composer's ring mounted humbucker.
I've been playing solely for my own enjoyment for 61 years but I've never owned an electric archtop. I'm planning to stop at the Chicago Music Exchange this week to look at archtops and either of the Godins would serve my purpose.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 PM

As you and your circle of friends/family have discovered, the CW II has a way of making a believer out of anyone who takes the time to pick one up and try it: my wife - who, under most circumstances, wants nothing to do with archtops or any music associated therewith (jazz, blues, rockabilly) - has borrowed mine to play out on several occasions, high praise in my book...

Since you mention the Godin Jazz as a prospective future purchase, if you're thinking single-PU archtop I wouldn't do anything before checking out some of the Eastman models in the same (~$1600-1800) price range; these are designed from the get-go as fully-acoustic instruments - all-solid hand-carved tops/backs versus the Godin's laminate - and you'll not only find some major tonal differences in both the amplified and unplugged tone, but a valuable new voice for your collection...

BTW you've essentially duplicated my own low-volume practice rig - I also have the blonde version (as well as the V5, which we've discussed) - so feel free to PM me if you have any questions/ideas/suggestions...

Use it well, often, and (not too) LOUD...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 04-26-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPO View Post
I've been playing solely for my own enjoyment for 61 years but I've never owned an electric archtop. I'm planning to stop at the Chicago Music Exchange this week to look at archtops and either of the Godins would serve my purpose.
In that case, personally I'd go with the floating pickup. Beats a hard mount any day to my ear in terms of getting, and here's one of the most dangerous phrases ever uttered, that "true jazz sound"

Can't go wrong either way. Godin is crazy good, and crazy bang for the buck.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Nice! Have fun at the Chicago Music Exchange I love that place! I was just there about a week ago checking out Gibson ES-335's.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii View Post
The cognac burst finish was beautiful, but I went with natural.
Very nice, classy looking, and the Bug is cute How does it sound ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-26-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Very nice, classy looking, and the Bug is cute. How does it sound?
Like this:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=460805

Quote:

Played my rig at a community chorus rehearsal today - got lots of compliments on my tone, especially from some former school music teachers...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 04-26-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Very nice, classy looking, and the Bug is cute How does it sound ?
I can't really add much to what Steve has said in his link. The sound may surprise you. I will again use my son in law as an example. He loves it. The first time he played it, he was blown away not only by how good it sounded, but the fact that it was a sub-$200 tube amp to boot.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't really add much to what Steve has said in his link. The sound may surprise you. I will again use my son in law as an example. He loves it. The first time he played it, he was blown away not only by how good it sounded, but the fact that it was a sub-$200 tube amp to boot.
I have played both the 5 and the 22 at GC which I also thought sounded pretty good compared to the other similar priced amps . But I was meaning to ask about the sound of the Godin.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-27-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I have played both the 5 and the 22 at GC which I also sounded pretty compared to the other similar priced amps . But I was meaning to ask about the sound of the Godin.
I had a tough time choosing between a Guild, Gretsch, and the Godin. The Godin was the one that intrigued me the most, but there were a few creeping doubts that it would get the variety of sounds I was hoping to eventually get. My worry was that it would be too much of a jazz box (I have no desire to play jazz). I was ready to pull the trigger on the Gretsch, but decided to go with my initial favorite...the Godin. I also put a lot of faith in Steve's comments, since he owns one.

I made the right choice.

It positively sings. Has great sustain. Wonderful tone. I can get pretty much anything I want....blues, clean, country, crunch, early rock...out of it. You CAN play it acoustic, but it is only "ok" in that regard. It is very versatile.

It is also light, well constructed, and feels good in my hands.

I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone looking to buy a hollow body guitar.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! Looks like a nice set up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars