The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
You hit the mark on decent recordings. Playing skill is one thing good sound is another guitar quality , mic quality , preamp quality are major factors in finial results . You have it all from the home front to my ears

Does everyone have to go highend to get great sound maybe , good sound not so much but the better the gear the better the results . Most what I have is the best of the cheapist I can find via research but I still have herdels .

No need to respond to this as I'm just thinking out loud to better my recordings .

You inspire me to improve my own compositions in addition to a clean recordings

Cheers
FWIW I don't think my gear is exactly high end. It's not cheap but it's definitely not in gear head territory.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think people need to go nuts on fancy gear to post videos on YouTube.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
That sure was beautiful!
Thanks so much, Toby! I appreciate your support as always.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Moose View Post
I think everything has been said already but may I add (if not said ahead of me) that you made me feel like I was there, sitting comfy in front of you while you played.
There's a rare "un-rushed" down-to-earth feel to the performance which adds feel to the whole listening experience.
Thank you for posting.
Thanks so much for your kind words.

In this piece I tried to create a mood using repetition and silence over a very subtle progression.

The main theme in G evolves very slowly and barely changes throughout while the mid section in D mostly serves as an interlude.

In any case, I'm really glad that you enjoyed it.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
What a beautiful melody, Mau!

Do you care to share some of the players who have influenced you?

I hear some Pat Metheney, but would guess you listen to lots of music, both guitar and other players.
I really like your question, Bob -- but I'm afraid Pat Metheny is one of very famous players whose music I never really listened to...

When I was a kid, my favourite players were probably Slash and Steve Vai. While Vai was out of my league, I practiced Slash's solos for years and still remember them to this day. I also played a lot of Ozzy because Zakk Wylde's style was a good fit for my technique.

Otherwise, I listened to SRV, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix (although I never tried to copy any of his parts), Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, C.C. DeVille, Dimebag Darrell, Marty Friedman, Dave Mustaine, John Christ, Randy Rhoads, Joe Pass -- and many more.

When I started fingerstyle guitar, I spent a lot of time studying Tommy Emmanuel and Pierre Bensusan.

Beyond guitar players, I listened to a lot of different music genres. A lot of the music that I write is probably influenced by the cheesy Chinese pop tunes that my parents enjoyed too much. Similarly to Celtic music, there's lots of pentatonics in Chinese music.

In my classical piano days I also studied a lot of composers and the one who had the most influence on me was probably Schumann. I'm not deluded enough to suggest that I have a thousandth of Robert Schumann's talent -- but his way of writing eclectic pieces that were very melodic but went in all kinds of directions had a lasting impression on me. He was the first composer to really break the classical mold and come up with original structures (and be successful at it).

I also love Mozart and Rachmaninov -- whose music I don't listen to often enough because of my stupid tinnitus...

In any case, I could go on and on about musicians who have inspired me. I love music!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

I love everything about this ... and among the reasons is the black and white videography. Beautifully composed and played.

Good luck topping that

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I really like your question, Bob -- but I'm afraid Pat Metheny is one of very famous players whose music I never really listened to...

When I was a kid, my favourite players were probably Slash and Steve Vai. While Vai was out of my league, I practiced Slash's solos for years and still remember them to this day. I also played a lot of Ozzy because Zakk Wylde's style was a good fit for my technique.

Otherwise, I listened to SRV, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix (although I never tried to copy any of his parts), Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, C.C. DeVille, Dimebag Darrell, Marty Friedman, Dave Mustaine, John Christ, Randy Rhoads, Joe Pass -- and many more.

When I started fingerstyle guitar, I spent a lot of time studying Tommy Emmanuel and Pierre Bensusan.

Beyond guitar players, I listened to a lot of different music genres. A lot of the music that I write is probably influenced by the cheesy Chinese pop tunes that my parents enjoyed too much. Similarly to Celtic music, there's lots of pentatonics in Chinese music.

In my classical piano days I also studied a lot of composers and the one who had the most influence on me was probably Schumann. I'm not deluded enough to suggest that I have a thousandth of Robert Schumann's talent -- but his way of writing eclectic pieces that were very melodic but went in all kinds of directions had a lasting impression on me. He was the first composer to really break the classical mold and come up with original structures (and be successful at it).

I also love Mozart and Rachmaninov -- whose music I don't listen to often enough because of my stupid tinnitus...

In any case, I could go on and on about musicians who have inspired me. I love music!

Cool that answered my PM .

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

That is a great list of influences, Mau. Some of them I would not ever have guessed :-)

Looking forward to hearing more!
Old 04-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Guest 33123

Nice work Mau!
Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I love everything about this ... and among the reasons is the black and white videography. Beautifully composed and played.

Good luck topping that
Actually there's a practical reason behind the decision to go B&W.

I use the first edition of the Fuji X100 -- which is an excellent stills camera but is terrible for movies (plenty of moiré and colour fringing). Switching to B&W made the image quality semi acceptable.

Thanks for listening!
Old 04-14-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
That is a great list of influences, Mau. Some of them I would not ever have guessed :-)

Looking forward to hearing more!
I'm a huge metal fan...

I also have most of Tupac's studio albums -- but thankfully none of it has transpired in my own music...
Old 04-14-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Cool that answered my PM .
I should've mentioned my more recent favourites as well. Of current well known guitarists, I'm a huge fan of John Mayer and Brad Paisley.

I stopped listening to guitar music when Nirvana became popular and destroyed everything I loved about rock. The whiny voice, the lack of chops, the sloppy attitude, the impact they had on the music scene -- I hated everything about them. I hated how they encouraged kids to play two noisy chords and pretend that they had become musicians. Those guys essentially made it cool to be bad guitar players.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Nice work Mau!
Thank you, Doug!
Old 04-14-2017, 01:59 PM

I don't know where your D-28 has traveled in 34 years, but it's landed in the hands of a fine musician. Another great composition, Mau.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I should've mentioned my more recent favourites as well. Of current well known guitarists, I'm a huge fan of John Mayer and Brad Paisley.

I stopped listening to guitar music when Nirvana became popular and destroyed everything I loved about rock. The whiny voice, the lack of chops, the sloppy attitude, the impact they had on the music scene -- I hated everything about them. I hated how they encouraged kids to play two noisy chords and pretend that they had become musicians. Those guys essentially made it cool to be bad guitar players.
I grew up on Motown lol
In my teens was introduced to blood sweat and tears which lead to Yes ,Genius , ELP, UK , Starcastle , Rush ( my fav Alex taught me how play guitar ) king crimson and more but then I heard Larry fast and his Synergy albums which lead me to New Age music .
I had some rough times as many had and music from Micheal Sterns , Steve Roach , Micheal Hedges , Acoustic Alchemy became my Buddha , it stabilized me lol that's when I discovered open tunings . My music is played in a primitive manor I feel but I try to pass on my emotion in my songs inspired by the musicians above that touched me .

Awesome to hear players that inspire us to me Mau is one those musicians .

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-16-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheEar View Post
I don't know where your D-28 has traveled in 34 years, but it's landed in the hands of a fine musician. Another great composition, Mau.
Thank you, Jeff. I'm just glad that this guitar made it north of the border before CITES restrictions kicked in...

I'm going to take good care of the D-28 -- hopefully for at least another 34 years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell