The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-22-2016, 08:53 AM

Default Raised grain on water based stain

I've done quite a nice hand-rubbed sunburst with water based stain. The grain has raised up quite a bit and I'd normally sand to 320 before sealing and lacqering. Any suggestions before I undo all my good work

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:08 AM

I'll usually do 3 sessions of raising the grain with a damp cloth and resanding before any grain sealing

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-22-2016, 09:24 AM

Me too. It usually takes 3 sessions to finally get the grain to stop popping out. I'm not sure what you can do at this point. I guess depending on how tall it is raised and what type of finish you plan on using you might get away with just finishing it as is. Then again sanding a hand rubbed burst might give it a good effect too IDK.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:34 AM

Hi. I've not raised grain before bursting, only because I forget. I've had some raised grain after bursting and recall finding SOME success using 0000 steel wool. However I also recall pressing too hard and it smearing the burst right off. I'd say using very little pressure can't hurt. Unlike sandpaper, the steel wool will take off the burst slow enough that you'd catch it before it's too late. Proceed with caution! Hehe, good luck. I also wouldn't hesitate to leave it and let the grain sit in sanding sealer and finish.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:46 PM

Barring doing the work over, you can build a few coats of sealer up, then do a light leveling, then touch up, before finish. But you may inadvertently make the finish too thick in the process.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair