The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-20-2016, 06:22 PM

Default Question: Which to choose Blue Yeti vs Samson G-track?

Okay guys, I'm from Brazil and currently we are kind of on a economy depression (1 real = 0.25).

On that sense, I decided to start practicing the acoustic guitar and I need a very simple way to set up a decent microphone for voice and instrument.

The G-track has some sort of audio card input, which allows me to plug in an instrument and sing at the same time, using 2 different lines.

however, by the youtube videos I've watched, the Yeti has a more consistent audio quality. But, i couldn't really compare them directly nor do I know if there was any compression/reverb added into the mics samples I heard.

The yeti costs around 900 reais here and the G-track costs 800 reais...

I was wondering which of the above choices would be better:"Blue Yeti or Samson G-track and why?

EDIT: If there are other microphones I didn't take into account that could be in that price range, feel free to tell me, I'll be very thankful. Only detail is that I need it to be a USB microphone.

Thanks, and sorry if this question has been posted before.

Last edited by HikariGuitars; 02-29-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:46 AM

Hello Hikari,
You've reversed the relative values of the real vs the U.S. dollar It's actually 1 real = .25 U.S. dollars (25 cents).
In terms of your question it looks like the main issue is whether you want to sing and play at the same time or would be prepared to record your vocal and guitar tracks separately.
I don't personally record with USB microphones so can't offer any first hand experience but here's a link to a video that certainly highlights the difference between the Samson G-track and a computer's built in mic.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:03 AM

Apogee MiC 96k is a great mic. I'm not at all impressed with the audio quality of my Yeti.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-27-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Hello Hikari,
You've reversed the relative values of the real vs the U.S. dollar It's actually 1 real = .25 U.S. dollars (25 cents).
In terms of your question it looks like the main issue is whether you want to sing and play at the same time or would be prepared to record your vocal and guitar tracks separately.
I don't personally record with USB microphones so can't offer any first hand experience but here's a link to a video that certainly highlights the difference between the Samson G-track and a computer's built in mic.
May God forbid me to sing. My voice is worse than a dieing squirrel on acid.

The microphone would be for guitar recording only.

After doing some research and at around my budget range, I decided to buy a mxl 990 usb.

From the audio samples I could find, that was the mic that had the "flatter" of the sounds within my budget . Good for post recording editing.

Since I couldn't find much information on the usb version I'll try and make a review later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Apogee MiC 96k is a great mic. I'm not at all impressed with the audio quality of my Yeti.
I'll check it out. Although I already bought a mxl 990 usb.

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Hikari
Old 02-27-2016, 10:49 PM

I just want to know when you've heard a dying squirrel on acid.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
I just want to know when you've heard a dying squirrel on acid.

Never. I just assumed it would sound horrible
Old 02-28-2016, 10:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariGuitars View Post

After doing some research and at around my budget range, I decided to buy a mxl 990 usb.

From the audio samples I could find, that was the mic that had the "flatter" of the sounds within my budget . Good for post recording editing.

Since I couldn't find much information on the usb version I'll try and make a review later.

I'll check it out. Although I already bought a mxl 990 usb.

The stock MXL 990 USB is not bad. I upgraded the capsule in mine with a replacement from Microphone-Parts.com and have had very pleasing results.

I also have a G-Track, a Yeti, an AT2020USB, and the Apogee MiC, among others. The MXL is the only one in which you can easily upgrade the capsule and that seems to make for a good jump in quality.

I am putting the finishing touches on an album I recorded entirely in a hotel room with a Voyage-Air, a Macbook-Air, and the modded MXL 990 USB.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post
The stock MXL 990 USB is not bad. I upgraded the capsule in mine with a replacement from Microphone-Parts.com and have had very pleasing results.

[...] The MXL is the only one in which you can easily upgrade the capsule and that seems to make for a good jump in quality.

I am putting the finishing touches on an album I recorded entirely in a hotel room with a Voyage-Air, a Macbook-Air, and the modded MXL 990 USB.
Once you finish your album, I'd love to listen to it's quality!

About changing the MXL capsule, I don't think I'll be able to do that... I have 0 knowledge on technology and, by what I saw, that capsule itself cost around 120$, which's 480 reais without import taxes and shipping... that by itself is almost the price I payed on the microphone itself... I'm kind of on a tight budget rn.

However, I'd like to know how much difference changing the mic's capsule it gives.

Regards, Hikari.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:04 AM

I have a Blue Yeti and know nothing about the Sampson but I watched the review above.

Right off the bat looks like the Sampson has all the controls on the same side and Blue Yeti I have to flop around to reach the gain as 2 switches on the front and 2 switches on the back. Also has no power on LED, so this Sampson is looking better to me than what I have.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD