The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Abby Road Reverb Trick check this out

Ok so I was watching "Pensados Place" and Dave mentioned this trick and who he had heard about it from.

And this make a ton of sense to me as far as the the notion of getting that "invisible reverb" type of clarity where you want to enhance the vocal or guitar sound but you do not want to hear the reverb as an effect per se.

Now of course there may be times when you specifically want to have a noticeable reverb effect. But for times when you don't, this goes a long way towards getting that.

Oh and it should be noted (for those that may not know ) that in this case the reverb is not on the audio track itself but is it's own separate Aux or Bus track and the vocal or guitar is sent to that track via a bus or send. This is vary important because this way you are only EQ'ing (in this case rolling off) the input to the reverb, you are not rolling off the original vocal or guitar sound

Bobby Owsinski

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-07-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:51 PM

Thanks for that, Kev.

Jim
Old 02-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Guitar Gourmet

It's funny you should bring this up because it is a trick I use and I just used it on my last product. It helps get rid of the "swim" in the mix when all the instruments are going, but the reverb is still there when the band backs down. Be aware that many reverb plug-ins offer this facility right on-board. My favorite reverb offers EQ at both the front and back ends of the reverb.

Another good trick is to experiment with adding pre-delay to the reverb. Back before digital reverbs, we did this by placing a stereo tape deck in the chain before the reverb, recording and playing back. You'd have a choice of 7.5 ips, 15ips, and 30ips and the delays produced by the distance between the record head and the playback head. These days most reverb plug-ins have a pre-delay available. What you find is that a touch of pre-delay distances the reverb from the vocal or whatever is being processed, allowing more clarity in the vocal.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

When I add reverb to a stereo solo acoustic guitar recording I always use stereo AUX tracks for the reverb plugin. As mentioned, that way I can use the eq controls in my reverb plugin (Altiverb), or add another plugin to the AUX tracks (e.g., a hard limiter before the reverb plugin to limit reverb bloom), without affecting the dry sound from the original two tracks. It's also more flexible when it comes to panning, e.g., the stereo panning spread of the two original tracks can be different than the panning spread of the reverb. Delay compensation should be used when using AUX tracks so the original tracks and the AUX tracks are mixed on the final mix bus without any relative latency.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It's funny you should bring this up because it is a trick I use and I just used it on my last product. It helps get rid of the "swim" in the mix when all the instruments are going, but the reverb is still there when the band backs down. Be aware that many reverb plug-ins offer this facility right on-board. My favorite reverb offers EQ at both the front and back ends of the reverb.

Another good trick is to experiment with adding pre-delay to the reverb. Back before digital reverbs, we did this by placing a stereo tape deck in the chain before the reverb, recording and playing back. You'd have a choice of 7.5 ips, 15ips, and 30ips and the delays produced by the distance between the record head and the playback head. These days most reverb plug-ins have a pre-delay available. What you find is that a touch of pre-delay distances the reverb from the vocal or whatever is being processed, allowing more clarity in the vocal.
Bob
Interesting about the using the tape decks. I have used the digital pre delay on the reverb itself awhile now, off hand somewhere between 30 ms and 60 ms., I believe.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 02-07-2016, 04:12 PM

Not only is the Abbey Road Reverb Trick a terrific technique to know but the discovery that reverb can be shaped with other FX on an Aux channel is terrific. It seems to me there must be numerous possibilities with other time based FX as well.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Yep, you'll find that EQ to band limit the feed to a delay allows the delay to sit back further in the mix, for instance.

Here's a really interesting trick I used on a particular song on a recent album: On the Doors' song, "Riders on the Storm," if you listen really closely you'll hear that the reverb isn't fed by the lead vocals! Instead, they had Jim Morrison whisper the vocals and fed the whispers to the reverb only. It makes for a very ghostly and cool effect.

Oh, and by the way, Abbey Road is claiming that they originated a lot of effects that I'm not sure they originated...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-10-2016, 04:50 AM

Thanks much for thos resource. I intend to go thrpugh all of them.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 AM

For live application of a very similar effect, I've found the Keeley 30ms pedal indispensable:

Old 02-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert View Post
For live application of a very similar effect, I've found the Keeley 30ms pedal indispensable:

So I went to the Keeley web sight and looked up the info on the "30ms" but could not find any mention as to whether or not the reverb effect ( said to be based on emulating the chamber reverb at Abby Road) was also actually programed with it EQ'ed with the 600k hi pass and 10k low pass filter roll offs. Given that "Trick" discussed in the OP video link is not about emulating the Abby Road reverb chamber, but is about EQ'ing the High and low pass filter roll offs and the mid frequency dip . I suppose one could call Keeley and inquire about it.
Regardless of that it looks like a nifty effects pedal.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 02-10-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Bob
This indeed, is pretty amazing. The stereo tape deck idea is compelling. I'll give it a whirl later.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
.....Here's a really interesting trick I used on a particular song on a recent album: On the Doors' song, "Riders on the Storm," if you listen really closely you'll hear that the reverb isn't fed by the lead vocals! Instead, they had Jim Morrison whisper the vocals and fed the whispers to the reverb only. It makes for a very ghostly and cool effect......

Bob
Interesting trick, Bob. I always liked that effect on Jim's vocal but never realized how they got it. Thanks!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 03-26-2016, 08:38 AM

Default Abby Road Reverb Trick check this out

What a great tip! I've actually been using the low- and hi-pass filter on reverb principle live for a while now but the suggestion to notch a little at around 2khz was a new one - but makes perfect sense! I'm going to try that as soon as I can, both on my own project recordings and on live shows.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-26-2016, 08:23 PM

I don't think Abbey Road originated it, but they can take credit I remember an old Lexicon preset that did this (though different frequencies). I think it was one of the presets on the 480L, if I remember correctly.

What they don't tell you about abbey road (and other early studios) is that in the early days they actually fed the reverb from a different mic. They'd often setup a second mic on the source and feed that to the reverb. A different mic with a different sound signature at a different distance.

A little compression is fun to play with with reverb too - another old Lexicon preset had a side-chained compressor that a "ducked" the reverb under the lead vocal.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-27-2016, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I don't think Abbey Road originated it, but they can take credit I remember an old Lexicon preset that did this (though different frequencies). I think it was one of the presets on the 480L, if I remember correctly.

What they don't tell you about abbey road (and other early studios) is that in the early days they actually fed the reverb from a different mic. They'd often setup a second mic on the source and feed that to the reverb. A different mic with a different sound signature at a different distance.

A little compression is fun to play with with reverb too - another old Lexicon preset had a side-chained compressor that a "ducked" the reverb under the lead vocal.
To clarify The studio that became "Abby Road" started in 1931, EQ's were in use on recording consoles as early as the 50's, as were analog plates and chamber room reverbs . Given Lexicon didn't exist until 1971 and the 480L wasn't released until 1986. I suspect Lexicon may have simply emulated something apparently in practice for many years. Certainly Lexicons emulation by itself, lends no credence to the belief Abby Road didn't originate the specific technique being described in the Video

And while Abby Road may or may not have originated the practice of EQ'ing reverb, per se , seems to me the point of the name "Abby Road Reverb Trick" and the video are the specific types and specific frequencies being EQ'ed -- i.e. pass filtering @ 600 and 10k, and dipping at 2k. Not to mention the fact that in the video he states that it is called that because Abby Road uses it, not whether or not they "originated' it. Just to clarify.

And of course the reason "they" (whoever they are) "don't tell you" about possibly setting up a "different mic" and sending, or simply splitting the signal off the console and sending it to an analog plate or chamber with a speaker and return mic , would seem obvious, because it is totally irrelevant as to whether or not that signal is also EQ'ed. Just sayin'

I agree compression on reverb is fun to play with. But I am curious what would the purpose be of ducking the vocal reverb under the vocal, or are you referring to ducking other instrument or room verbs under the vocal ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-27-2016 at 11:12 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD