The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-20-2009, 07:38 PM

Question composite acoustics sound hole

I'm pretty set on buying a composite acoustics guitar. I've only played one with the offset sound hole-- and really liked it-- love the volume and bass response. There are several good prices on ebay right now, but all the ca's in my $$ range have "regular" sound holes. How much difference does the offset sound hole make? If I buy the "regular" one, will I be disappointed?

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 PM

Hard to say as it is your personal taste... but I like my 5i and Cargo offset hole better than my Performer X center hole.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 PM

I tried both and I think it makes a huge difference, at least to the player. The offset hole puts the sound right in your face in a really wonderful way.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:11 PM

My Cargo had the offset hole. Thats why I bought it. The others sound good too. I like the off set better.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM

How is the access to the inside of the full sized CA's with an offset soundhole, say for a K&K installation? I read a recent thread about someone managing to get one into the Cargo's but I can see how getting past the elbow might be near impossible....

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM

I too have tried both and in the full scale guitars, I personally prefer the tonal balance and projection of the GX's traditional sound hole. Just my opinion but, to my ear, the mid-range of the i series seems overwhelmed by the bass. However, the same does not seem to hold true with the Cargo's short scale. That said, in the end it is a personal preference and if you like a ton of bass, the i-series may be for you.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Hard to say as it is your personal taste... but I like my 5i and Cargo offset hole better than my Performer X center hole.
I just got a steal of a deal on a CA Series 5 SE, which is equal to a X-RT.
I had a cargo on order, but it was taking too long and I loved the sound of this guitar.

The only weakness seems to be the acoustic bass response, which is still acceptable and sounds fine through an amp. I have heard that there is a better bass response through the offset sound hole, but I have to remember that I bought this as a travel guitar.

Collings 2012 OM1
Collings 2019 0001
Martin 2018 0-18
Eastman E20OM-TC
Enya X3 Pro Mini
Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I own a Cargo and belive that the offset soundhole is certainly part of makes this little guitar sound like a full-size. I have played a GX (when it was an 8M) and a 7M. I preferred the 8M over the 7M, but it didn't knock my socks off. My GXi on the other hand, does. A spectacular guitar. Great bass, but in no way does it overwhelm the mids and highs. I can't say enough good things about it.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrummer View Post
How is the access to the inside of the full sized CA's with an offset soundhole, say for a K&K installation? I read a recent thread about someone managing to get one into the Cargo's but I can see how getting past the elbow might be near impossible....
Bump.....Any experience/ opinion as to whether the interior of the full sized offset soundhole guitars is sufficiently accessible for SBT installation such as K&K ....... recommendations on who to call perhaps?

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber