The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-16-2008, 06:18 AM

[QUOTE=Papol;1630085]
I tried 80/20's on the Cargo, and thought I would have to surgically remove my ears after about 20 minutes. The incredible lack of anything resembling tone, to me, was staggering.

Papol...did you give the guitar a few days to settle in with the 80/20's? Just curious. Like you...when I first put them on I was not really very impressed but hey...$13 is $13 right? So I left them on and in a few days after getting rid of that initial ugh sound they really came into their own and to my ears and fingers were far better than the original Nano PB lights. Like you say...lots of different opinions. I'm with you on the one guitar philosophy also.

Workintheory...I think you will be happier each day with your 5i. I was expecting big things from the 7i and was a little dissappointed but after time I'm loving it.

Jim
Old 10-16-2008, 08:11 AM

Hi Jim,

I tried a couple iterations of various strings including two runs at different 80/20's, one Martin FX lights, the other D'Addario PB lights. I just don't think I'm cut out for 80/20's.

I also don't care for them on any other instrument, so this is personal taste and not of any particular meaning. I actually do like the sound of the Cargo with PB EJ16's.

I agree with the notion that the carbon fiber guitars are much more sensitive to string types than wood guitars. It seems like a huge difference even from brand to brand where I might not be able to make such a claim on any other guitar I've got.

Another pet-peeve I've got is the Elixer strings the CA comes with. I don't care for that sound either. It's already alien enough being carbon fiber , so why add to it by using coated strings? Coated strings sound a bit muffled to me in their own unique way (Elixer's anyway), and I want all the output and decent tone I can get, so I stick with the strings I've always liked (ej16's).

Thanks, Papol
Old 10-16-2008, 03:24 PM

For me, I strongly prefer my 5i with medium guaged strings. I find the extra tension gives a much tighter, more defined funamental. This allows the overtones to be more defined as well. With the stock light strings, I found the bass to be wobbly and without focus and the highs to be a bit dull.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdadad View Post
For me, I strongly prefer my 5i with medium guaged strings. I find the extra tension gives a much tighter, more defined funamental. This allows the overtones to be more defined as well. With the stock light strings, I found the bass to be wobbly and without focus and the highs to be a bit dull.
The one thing I do love is the playability. Does the medium strings make it harder to play it? I am sure it is still easy but is less easy than stock?
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 10-17-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksInTheory View Post
The one thing I do love is the playability. Does the medium strings make it harder to play it? I am sure it is still easy but is less easy than stock?
I find the playability to be fine... I actually prefer the increased tension...
Old 10-17-2008, 08:22 AM

Default Composite Acoustics

I've played a Composite Acoustics guitar owned by AGF member guitart, and I'd rate it a 9 out of 10 for all around tone, playability, and quality. (I can't remember the model)
I'd sure like to add one to my collection in the near future.
2001 Guild JF30-12 ATB
1999 DeArmond/Guild Starfire
Fender Stratocaster
Washburn D10S12
Washburn D11T BL
Guild GAD G212e NT
Guild GAD50 ATB
Old 10-17-2008, 08:37 AM

Works...when I switched to mediums on the Cargo I found it still very easy to play. I think it helps a lot using the Elixirs. Uncoated string might be a tad harder to play. Now ya'll have got me thinking about trying some mediums on my 7i ! The lights feel and sound fine but I know the mediums made a huge difference on my Cargo. Oh well...back to Guitar Center!
Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 AM

Anyone try Custom lights? Or will that make the balance worse because there is already so much bass on this thing.
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksInTheory View Post
Anyone try Custom lights? Or will that make the balance worse because there is already so much bass on this thing.
I tried what I think are custom lights, (ej26? or .11 to .52)? If those are custom lights, then I found that they actually sounded ok on the cargo, but that my action was already optimized for lights and I didn't feel as comfortable with them.

Is it primarily the offset-hole balance problem that concerns you (bottom heavy balance)? If so, I did come up with some fairly strange ways to compensate for it and they actually work, but they aren't too pretty.

One thing that could easily give you an idea for a better solution is this: I experimented with listening very carefully to different sections of the offset sound hole, finally deciding that the part closed to the "top" (your head) of the guitar was the part that was porting the most bass not only to my ears but to my listeners.

I took a small strip of blue painter's masking tape and taped off the top inch of that hole and the balance was suddenly excellent. Of course, it knocked down the total volume by about 10-20% but this kind of thing really makes me wonder about the offset hole design.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM

I forgot to mention that my 5i sounds significantly more balanced with mediums than lights. I'm also using uncoated pb's which add some much needed presence to the tone.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdadad View Post
I forgot to mention that my 5i sounds significantly more balanced with mediums than lights. I'm also using uncoated pb's which add some much needed presence to the tone.
I'd be curious to know one of our resident luthier's take on offset soundholes and the potential effect on string balance. Not just placement, but also size, shape, etc. Also, I'm not at all interested in discussing just CF guitars, also wood.

It seems like a factor of importance to me.

I glad that the mediums work to your satisfaction, but the PB ej16's also work fine for me and suit my playing style.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
I'd be curious to know one of our resident luthier's take on offset soundholes and the potential effect on string balance. Not just placement, but also size, shape, etc. Also, I'm not at all interested in discussing just CF guitars, also wood.

It seems like a factor of importance to me.

I glad that the mediums work to your satisfaction, but the PB ej16's also work fine for me and suit my playing style.
Yeah because Tacoma Wing Series and Macphersons also have that offset soundhole. I am interested too.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
Is it primarily the offset-hole balance problem that concerns you (bottom heavy balance)? If so, I did come up with some fairly strange ways to compensate for it and they actually work, but they aren't too pretty.
I am not concerned with balance. It's this muffled sound or more like boxy sound vs say my larrivee. I don't think I have the saddle problem... not sure yet about the nut until I change strings.

How do I know when to change coated strings? The nanos on their right now are still shiny.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:18 AM

Default Where this thing shines...

Finally put the guitar to the test of what it's purpose is...

Last night on a chilly night, I put this guitar to it's test. My parents are in town helping with our new baby and we've been enjoying a personal chef basically in my mom! She was outside frying some stuff on the sideburner on the grill so I thought let me provide the entertainment (though I think she thought I was doing a comedy).

First I put a strap on the guitar. Then went outside and just played the thing walking around. The guitar was super comfortable. The most comfortable guitar to handle that I have ever tried. I think where the guitar strap pins are are just on to. The guitar feels snug against your body. And the sound just rings in the night! No issues, no worries. I tried hard strumming with a pick, soft finger style and the highs rang. It was just a liberating feeling and we all had a lot of fun. Another thought came to me - it would be cool if the CA inlay glowed in the dark!

I can't wait to take this guitar on more journeys outside. The only thing next is to figure out airports and planes...
Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 AM

Default Bye Bye Road Tough Finish scratchy sound: Pickguard added

Heh gang... I cut out a nice form fitting pickguard from a blank sheet, for my 5iM-CE... was struggling to find a way to make it "cling", as the RT finish won't work with electrostatic guards... so, I found some "dots" of that stuff that's normally stuck between a new credit card, and the paper they're mailed on...

Works like a charm... looks not bad either !... and, no more rhythm accompaniment when I'm strumming like a mad man !... (which I usually do!)...

No sanding needed...

I'll post pics later...

Kevin
1997 Takamine EF341C
1984 Larrivee RS4 solid body Electric
1935 Harmony Archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber