The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Epiphone century 1966 "Reissue"

I'm considering one...Anyone tried one yet? I know it's not a straight reissue. Curious about 2 things, the P90, and the straight acoustic sound.

I'd love to know anyone's thoughts. Thanks
jricc
Old 11-05-2016, 02:49 PM

According to the GC website every one of the NJ stores has them in stock - why not just check it out yourself...?
Old 11-06-2016, 12:37 PM

I tinkered around with one at my local GC. It sounded a good deal better acoustically than I thought it would. Very cool. I did not plug the thing in. Nobody wants to endure my electric guitar prowess, or lack there of..... the Epiphone P90 pickups I have heard are pretty darn good. According to the Epi site it should be a pretty true to original design but I do not know the specs on the originals.

Last edited by gmr; 11-06-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
According to the GC website every one of the NJ stores has them in stock - why not just check it out yourself...?
They lie 😀 Unless my local GC got it in since Thursday when i was there last....but, will check again this week
Old 11-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I had a red one briefly but returned it because, while the Epi website said it was 24.9" scale, it was, in fact, 25.5" (they changed this on the website two days after I emailed them to let them know about the error). Due to multiple hand/wrist problems, I play only short-scale guitars, so it was a non-starter for me. Also be aware that it ships with strings that are heavier than the .010 to .46 listed on the site (probably .011s). I changed them to .010s, and it didn't make much difference sonically.

I'm so new to electric guitars, that I don't feel confident giving an opinion on the sound, but I would venture to say that it has a very pleasing timbre, with what I would call a woody, earthy character, if that makes any sense. (You might want to check out James Bay videos or recordings; I found mine to sound much like his vintage model.) As a lifelong acoustic player, I think any electric guitar of this type sounds absolutely horrible unplugged, and this one was no exception.

I liked it quite a bit, and if it were really 24.9" I would have kept it. I think it has tons of cool factor.
-Bob
Old 11-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
I had a red one briefly but returned it because, while the Epi website said it was 24.9" scale, it was, in fact, 25.5" (they changed this on the website two days after I emailed them to let them know about the error). Due to multiple hand/wrist problems, I play only short-scale guitars, so it was a non-starter for me. Also be aware that it ships with strings that are heavier than the .010 to .46 listed on the site (probably .011s). I changed them to .010s, and it didn't make much difference sonically.

I'm so new to electric guitars, that I don't feel confident giving an opinion on the sound, but I would venture to say that it has a very pleasing timbre, with what I would call a woody, earthy character, if that makes any sense. (You might want to check out James Bay videos or recordings; I found mine to sound much like his vintage model.) As a lifelong acoustic player, I think any electric guitar of this type sounds absolutely horrible unplugged, and this one was no exception.

I liked it quite a bit, and if it were really 24.9" I would have kept it. I think it has tons of cool factor.
-Bob
Thanks much for the response.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

So I went over to GC and they had a cherry one...with horrible action, but I liked it plugged in, so went home checked out Sweetwater, and they had a few, talked to my sales rep and ordered a sunburst on Thursday. It arrived today, Saturday! And...went back today, Saturday!

Let me explain... I bought it with the intention of replacing my Godin 5th Ave. In playing the Epi, it does have a nice neck, full, but not too much. It definitely feels well built and the Epi Pro P90 sounds really good, really warm.

Then I played my sunburst Godin, and for me, I just like it better. It is a little lighter and I Just like the feel. But, I am going to be replacing the P90, the Epi pickup to my ears, is better the stock Godin pickup. So now my search begins for a P90...

So, the Epi went back via UPS in less than 2 hours. I would recommend the Epi if someone asked my opinion, it just was kind of redundant for me. But it is a pretty nice guitar for a reasonable price.

Last edited by jricc; 11-21-2016 at 07:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops