The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-28-2016, 06:20 PM

Default Just Jazz Guitar Magazines

Does anyone happen to have any "Just Jazz Guitar Magazines" that they no longer use or need? I called Just Jazz Guitar and all of their back issues are sold out. I would be more than happy to purchase them and pay for the shipping. I just started playing Jazz and my music professor at college recommend getting the back issues because of the articles and music in the magazine.

Thanks,
Darwin
Old 09-29-2016, 02:59 PM

I have a a number of years of JJG but I hang on to them. You can find most issues on Reverb or the Jazz Guitar forum. With that said, I don't think that at this stage in your development, you will not get much out of the magazine. They have had some good articles and some very good arrangements but they have also had a lot of mediocre ones.

There are a number of free and for sale resources on line that are available. I would suggest you start with the Jazz Guitar forum.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:14 AM

Rob thanks for the suggestion on the Jazz Guitar Forum.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:00 PM

Darwin,
I have a pretty complete set, issues 27 through 67. A few covers have partial tears from me being careless in filing them. I enjoyed reading 'em, but never look at them anymore. If you pay the shipping, I'll send 'em to you. I live in St Paul MN. Caution---they're pretty heavy because of the glossy paperstock. Maybe you know that. Shipping, even at media rate, might be pricey. But, they are kinda priceless for the info about guitarists, arrangements, etc.
Let me know. Otherwise, I'm hauling 'em to the local used-bookstore-chain later this fall...
Old 10-01-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHintz View Post
Darwin,

I have a pretty complete set, issues 27 through 67. A few covers have partial tears from me being careless in filing them. I enjoyed reading 'em, but never look at them anymore. If you pay the shipping, I'll send 'em to you. I live in St Paul MN. Caution---they're pretty heavy because of the glossy paperstock. Maybe you know that. Shipping, even at media rate, might be pricey. But, they are kinda priceless for the info about guitarists, arrangements, etc.

Let me know. Otherwise, I'm hauling 'em to the local used-bookstore-chain later this fall...

Paul,

If Darwin passes up, let me know. I am interested.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2016, 09:07 AM

Wow...great deal! Jump on it!

I too have a collection of JJG - issue 10 through issue 87. I agree with your professor. JJG is a great resource. Every issue has several lessons from a wide varity of jazz guitarists and teachers. I also like the interviews of famous and not so famous guitarists.

I was hoping that Ed Benson (editor and owner) would have found someone to take over JJG. It was great while it lasted, and a timeless resource for lessons, interviews and arrangements.

Btw, for others who still searching for back issues, I believe you can still find people who are selling them on e-Bay.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:09 AM

Hey Darwin:

Congrats on getting into jazz. Good and rewarding stuff. I have to agree with RobT. If you are just getting into jazz the JJG stuff might be too advanced. I am not knew to jazz but was new to guitar when I discover JJG. I loved the articles and the information but the playing examples were way beyond my skills. With that said the information is very good and the magazines are worth a look. I gave all the ones I had to a friend who was starting his jazz guitar studies in college. I knew they would go to better use in his hands. For a beginner in jazz / jazz guitar, may I recommend two good references. The Jamey Aebersold book "Jazz Guitar: Volume I" adapted for guitar by Corey Chistiansen (along with the many other Jamey Aebersold books but this is the one to start with) available from www.jazzbooks.com and "Six Essential Fingerings for the Jazz Guitarist" by Jimmy Bruno (Mel Bay # MB20001)

Best of luck in your new venture.

Mike
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Old 10-14-2016, 05:33 PM

Hi, I have a stack of them I would part with. Let me know where you are in PA.I think shipping could be expensive, maybe we could meet up. What do they sell back issues for?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops