The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-06-2016, 05:35 AM

Default Need Some help w/New Computer.

Alas my old Dell Deminsion is slowly going down but it`s 13 years old so I got my money`s worth. I`m purchasing a new Dell Inspiron 3650 8 gig with an i5 processer. It comes with a Realtec ALC 3600 cg sound waves Maxx Audio sound card. My old computer has a Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card that I may want to use in the new one if the Realtec sounds shabby. BUT I`ll probably need a new driver for the card to match up with Windows 10??. Will still be running Sonor 3 Producer Edition {What I like}. Any safe driver sites out there for the Creative card to Windows 10?. Thanks!!.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:36 AM

Just a shot of my rearranged studio.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 AM

I assume you are doing recording (Sonar)? I'd recommend an external USB audio interface. It'll give you 24 bit, better monitoring options, etc. Creative soundcards are designed for gaming and video soundtracks (5.1, etc), not for audio recording.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Default Need Some help w/New Computer.

Unfortunately, your old card may not be compatible with the motherboard slots in your new computer. I would guess that your old card is PCI, given the age of the computer. But you probably have only PCIe slots in the new computer. Despite the similar name, they are not compatible.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:47 AM

Thanks all,Any ideas for a good music soundcard for Windows 10 if the Creative idea don`t work out?. I like using my board directly to the computer so something like USB Scarlett to me is out. Just a me thing.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:51 AM

OR.....could something like Scarlett have the board run into into it then USB to the computer?. Then that`s still the sound card problem for Windows 10?.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
OR.....could something like Scarlett have the board run into into it then USB to the computer?. Then that`s still the sound card problem for Windows 10?.
If you want to continue using your board, yes it could be connected to an interface (i.e. Scarlett) which then uses USB to the computer. How many output are you using/recording from your board?

If you use an interface, why do you have questions/concerns about your sound card. I don't understand what your intended use would be for the card, as the interface could also drive your and monitors and headphones.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean some external box that will take the old Creative card? I don't know of such a thing.

Scarlett or other fancier USB audio interfaces usually have their own drivers. This page says the Scarlett 2i2 is compatible with Windows 10.

The advantage of the USB interfaces is that you can use any computer or switch computers, without having to have slots for cards (e.g. laptops). In addition, the analog part of the signal chain is outside the electrically noisy computer box. The data rate for audio is low compared with the capacity of USB2 (480Mbps), so there's no way you'd overwhelm what USB is capable of.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:54 AM

Sorry,unfamiliar with interfaces,what I have now is L&R cables from the board to the sound card. So..would a Scarlett work?. Thanks!.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Dan - Charter Member

The Scarlett 2i2 has two inputs, settable for either line-level or mic/inst. There's a level switch next to each input jack. So you could run the L&R from your mixing board to the two inputs.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:34 AM

Thanks!!!!.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Sorry,unfamiliar with interfaces,what I have now is L&R cables from the board to the sound card. So..would a Scarlett work?. Thanks!.
Since you're re-configuring your recording work space it might be time to think more about the hardware you're interfacing with it. If you purchase a usb audio interface it will allow you to use its preamps (usually better than a generic mixer's pres) so you can plug virtually anything into it. In the process you get to mothball the mixer, and that's a good thing for simple home recording.

Every device that you route your audio through is going to degrade the signal somewhat and add noise as it travels through various circuits and internal signal paths.

Audio truly is an area where "less is more". An interface allows you to use one simple "box" to channel microphones or instruments into your computer and also serves as the computer's output to powered monitors and/or headphones.

Do remember to go into your setup program (before Windows loads) and disable any "on board sound" option your computer has. You won't be using that if you let the interface handle all your audio needs.

You can see an example of my audio interface and small desktop setup at my "Simple Homestyle Recording" page:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Old 04-07-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Just a shot of my rearranged studio.
I notice one of your monitor speakers is backed into a corner. Not sure how important mixing of your recordings is to you, but that position will seriously skew the bass you hear from that side. I would advise moving the whole desk set up so it's in the middle of that wall with the window to get equal sound from the monitors.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-08-2016, 12:43 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA2...nger+interface

this is about the cheapest, easiest thing you could hope for, and it is both, plus you will be happy with the results. you can go straight from your mixer to this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD