The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-11-2016, 09:23 AM

Default Shure mv88??

Hello folks

Does anyone have experience of the Shure mv88 mic for iPhone/iPad etc?

I have some great Mics for recording through interfaces but wish for something simple that I can record audio/video through my iPhone with high quality results that I could upload straight to YouTube. I'm wondering; How does the Shure mv88 mic compare to the best of the rest?

I'd mainly be recording solo guitar and vocals (at the same time) in my room, as well as capturing live performances when I play in venues...

Last edited by pipe dreamer; 01-11-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

I have new experience with this mic. So far I give it high marks.

Handling:
It's size was really appealing and comes with a nice zippered and padded case, that is probably easy to lose for how easily it carries along.

Shure App:
Has some presets for the angle/range of the pickup.

I don't know all there is to know about what it can do, so anything more than basic is totally wasted on me (smile).

I've used it for rehearsing - presentations, performances and practice.
It has a nice diffuser and the clarity of the recordings have been a welcome improvement over the native iPhone mic.

Tonight I used it the first time at a venue that was mixed seating/standing and mixed listeners and chatterers, and am happy with the results. I'd be thrilled if it had been a listening room rather than a mix.

The Mic itself - this is is a sweet little device. Nothing to it. Plug and go.
Best results are in airplane mode and do not disturb. Not sure if the battery use was more , less or equal to using any other app; 55% used for 45 minutes of recording.

It cost $149 at GC and was a total impulse buy; I didn't do a lick of research beforehand, and have no idea if there is anything better or worse that's compatible with the iphone lightning plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD