The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 AM

Default Action on my CA Cargo

I hope this isn't a stupid question. If I lower the action on my Cargo guitar, how will that affect the intonation? If it does change the intonation how do you correct intonation on an acoustic guitar?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphelan01 View Post
I hope this isn't a stupid question. If I lower the action on my Cargo guitar, how will that affect the intonation? If it does change the intonation how do you correct intonation on an acoustic guitar?
Hi: If you do a good careful job sanding the saddle (buy a spare for 5 bucks from CA) , you will have excellent intonation with excellent action (whatever excellent action means to you). I made mine low enough to easily play but without any buzzing of course.

Just go slow, be very careful of the piezo (foil coated element) when sliding out the saddle. The piezo on that guitar seems very very delicate. What works best is to loosen all the strings one or two coils at the machines and then pull the saddle out by grasping the middle. There is no piezo damage then.

If it's too tight as mine was from the factory, then the first time is difficult but you can immediately fix the fit by sanding the sides a little.

If you manage to change the intonation, the only fix for that type of guitar I know of would probably be to use the spare 5 buck saddle I suggested you get, and try it again. The 'taylor-like' black saddle has no other intonation correction than the standard B-string offset.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 AM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
Hi: If you do a good careful job sanding the saddle (buy a spare for 5 bucks from CA) , you will have excellent intonation with excellent action (whatever excellent action means to you). I made mine low enough to easily play but without any buzzing of course.

Just go slow, be very careful of the piezo (foil coated element) when sliding out the saddle. The piezo on that guitar seems very very delicate. What works best is to loosen all the strings one or two coils at the machines and then pull the saddle out by grasping the middle. There is no piezo damage then.

If it's too tight as mine was from the factory, then the first time is difficult but you can immediately fix the fit by sanding the sides a little.

If you manage to change the intonation, the only fix for that type of guitar I know of would probably be to use the spare 5 buck saddle I suggested you get, and try it again. The 'taylor-like' black saddle has no other intonation correction than the standard B-string offset.
And wear a good face/nose mask while doing this.

Ken C.
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
And wear a good face/nose mask while doing this.

Ken C.
Holy cow! You just explained a lot of my weird behavior since fixing that saddle! Definitely a good idea.

Thanks, Ken.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber