The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-06-2016, 12:52 PM

Default Under-saddle or Sound-hole Pick-up for Ladder Braced Guitar

I have a Gibson LG-1 (1966) and it's become one of my favorites. I've never had to purchase after market pickups before. I've heard lots of good things about the KK mini but have read that due to the ladder bracing on this model it's not recommended. There was a similar question in 2012 I know but was wondering if the markets changed with whats available. Of side note the owner I purchased from said they replaced the plastic bridge with (rose?) wood, if it means anything for this question.

I've written a few companies to get there input and have only heard back from Fishman recommending the Matrix Affinity, even though I stated my concerns and this is also and under saddle pickup (similar to the KK Mini I assume, individual rounds circles instead of a strip), and they did not address that model specific concern at all when stating this recommendation, so I'm thinking it wasn't considered/they have no idea.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:53 PM

The Fishman is a thin flat strip that goes under the saddle. The K & K has the 3 sensors and goes on the bridge plate. They are totally different. I have no experience with using either on your type guitar. I am assuming it is heavily braced and is thought to not have enough vibration to make the K & K an option, maybe? Have you called and talked to K & K?

You might call and talk to the people at Trance Amulet as well. They make a great bridge plate pickup as well. It only has two sensors. They call them lenses.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:46 PM

Default k

aaah.. I thought the Fishman strip went in the same place as the K&K, under the saddle but inside the guitar... but it's literally under the saddle. Yea I have some emails out to a few competitors, but it isn't like I'm getting unbiased opinions. Everyone says there's will work great. Was hoping to reach someone whose owned and installed a pickup on a similar LG-1
Old 12-06-2016, 07:56 PM

I have used the Fishman in a couple of guitars. I don't find them very natural on their own. At one point, I had the Fishman and a Sunrise magnetic sound hole pickup in my Gibson SJ. That combo sounded really good. You have to have a way to blend the two pickups, so it isn't as simple as a single pickup.

I have recently purchased the Fishman Aura Spectrum pedal and am about to try that with the Fishman under saddle alone, no mag sound hole. This might be worth looking into for your guitar.

I may end up back with the two pickups blended. I like to tinker.

I mentioned the Trance system because I bought a Gibson Southern Jumbo that has that system factory installed. I think it is the best pickup system I have used. It might be worth it to call them.

Last edited by loco gringo; 12-06-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:44 PM

I use under soundboard pickups JJB PPS-200 on carved archtops with tonebars, single transverse, X and hybrid bracing; on Ovations and ladder braced Gypsy Jazz guitars. Works fine on all. I have never thought highly about UST sound or technology.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification