The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post
I would say the Rainsong is slightly concave under the strings while the Emerald is slightly convex.
Tom, Thank You Very Much For The Comparison! One of the reasons I would like to acquire an Emerald is because the tops are constructed with a slight convex contour. Your description of your RainSong's top matches every one of the dozen or so I've owned. I've brought up this observation for years on this forum and its the one niggling point I have about RainSongs. The slight tendency for RainSong tops toward concaveness doesn't affect the functionality of the guitar or the tone but I find it cosmetically annoying. Although I'm currently without a carbon guitar, I'd consider purchasing a RainSong again but only after I buy an Emerald guitar, a brand I've not yet owned.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-25-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The slight tendency for RainSong tops toward concaveness doesn't affect the functionality of the guitar or the tone but I find it cosmetically annoying.

I had to look VERY CLOSELY and specifically for this to have noticed; I never would have seen it otherwise.

I own a guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber