The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-22-2018, 10:12 PM

Default Rainsong and Emerald Comparison

Rainsong Concert Series Dreadnought and Emerald X20 Opus

I transitioned to carbon fiber a few years ago when I bought my house in North Dakota. Very cold (and long) winters with the heat on constantly paired with a very dry climate meant that I could not adequately humidify my place to keep a wooden acoustic happy, and given that a guitar in its case does not get played in my house, I knew it was time for the change. I have owned and played many outstanding, higher-end wooden guitars. I played a Rainsong once in a shop many years ago (maybe 1999 or so), but I have no recollection of my impressions other than it seemed rather bright. I did know that they were an established brand, so I went on faith and ordered a CO-DR1000N2, which has the newer unidirectional soundboard that promised a warmer tone.

As it is said, with a carbon fiber guitar you come for the low maintenance, but you stay for the tone - no exception here. I really liked the tone I got from the Rainsong straight out of the box. I was even more impressed with its feel; it is among the easiest to fret guitars I have ever played.

Having read a lot of good things about Emerald Guitars lately, I decided to get one to try out against the Rainsong, with the intention of keeping one and selling the other. I ordered the stock X20 Opus. The comparison is not exactly equal; the scale length and other measurements are slightly different, the Emerald has a regular graphite top (not unidirectional) and the bodies are a little different in shape. Nonetheless, the differences are not so great as that between, say, a dreadnought and an OM. You can compare measurements and numbers on the respective guitar’s web page.

These impressions are relevant to my own particular tastes; your mileage may and will vary.

Pictures? Both guitars look the same as their web page pictures.

Visual Appeal and Ergonomics: The Rainsong is a traditional dreadnought shape, and I like the dreadnought shape. However, I have never been a fan of abalone on guitars (when I played wooden guitars, I always preferred "wood bling"), so the rosette and the sharks on the fretboard have never really appealed to me. It is all-gloss. The barn-door electronics are a turnoff, especially because I don’t plug it in (and, in fact, I have never plugged it in, so I can offer no impressions of the amplified sound). The Emerald is a visually striking instrument, with the interesting curves caused by the beveled top and cutaway and the offset soundhole. The headstock shape is nice, too, and it accommodates a tuner somewhat better than the Rainsong. I like acoustic guitars without markers on the fretboard, so the black board is appealing to me. The top is gloss while the back and sides are the carbon fiber equivalent of satin, which looks fine. While there are no sharp edges as on the Rainsong, the rounded back on the Emerald means when playing standing up with the guitar against my aging belly, there is more motion; however, I rarely play standing up anymore.
Judgment: The Emerald wins this due to no abalone and, frankly, a sexy shape. I like the look of black, unadorned carbon fiber. I don’t play out and only one other person ever sees my guitars (or, mercifully, hears me play), so I am not trying to impress anyone, but the edge goes to the Emerald regardless.

Neck Profile and Feel: The Rainsong (N2) neck is a C-shape with softer shoulders; it has some girth but it is not a baseball bat by any means. Using my left (fretting) thumb, even on the A string in the first position, is no real problem. Plays pleasantly right up the neck. The Emerald’s neck I would call a relatively thin and flat C, much slimmer than the Rainsong but with more pronounced shoulders. Using the left thumb is therefore more difficult, but the neck is comfortable regardless. It also plays comfortably right up the neck, and the cutout gives greater access to the upper frets, though because it is an acoustic guitar, I don’t have a lot of need there.
Judgment: All other things being equal, I prefer a slightly more substantial neck with softer shoulders, so the advantage here goes to the Rainsong.

Playability: Both guitars have a fairly loose feel, fretting is easy, and there are no dead spots. They take alternate tunings well with little annoyance, and tuning in general is very stable. Both are good up the neck with a capo. Bar chords on the lower frets are a little trickier with the Rainsong. Both have nice, lower action with no buzzing. The Rainsong has fatter, more comfortable frets than the Emerald.
Judgment: Toss-up.

Tone: The Emerald sounded tubby to me right out of the box; changing the stock coated D’Addario 80/20 strings to Elixir PBs (same gauge, .012s) resolved that immediately. With the new strings, the only difference in tone that I perceive between the two seems largely due to the different soundhole placements. To my ears, they basically sound the same with the slightly different presentation from that placement, and neither is better or worse, just different. The lack of a unidirectional top on the Emerald seems to make no discernible difference in the warmth of the tone.
Judgment: They both sound excellent and, in many ways, the same. Toss-up.

Volume: To my ears, the Rainsong sounds a little louder; it is a small difference, but it is noticeable to me. It is a larger guitar, so that may be as expected.
Judgment: An edge to the Rainsong.

Price: The Rainsong came with electronics and a hardshell case; these are both extra for the Emerald model that I chose, and I chose not to get them. Adding the hard case and a pickup would still make it cost several hundred dollars less than the Rainsong.
Judgment: The Emerald has the edge.

Final Assessment: I really like them both. There are differences but they are not overly pronounced. As I said, these are my impressions based upon my tastes - yours will be different. I have no idea which will stay and which will go.

I own a guitar.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:46 PM

Nice write-up. I have an Emerald (X7), but haven’t played a rainsong, so can’t compare. Although I’m eager to try one. One thing I would comment on is the fact that the Emerald had SS frets - to me, that’s a somewhat significant issue (I think since I’m a lefty playing right, perhaps I tend to apply a bit more pressure with my left hand than is common - and have grooved frets pretty easily in the past.)
Old 02-22-2018, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

That's a great write-up, enjoyed reading and thanks for sharing.

I have both a Rainsong and an Emerald. Although my exposure to Rainsong's other models were limited but to date, I have owned a CO-WS1000N2, have played earlier versions of the Shorty and currently own a CH-WS.

To me, I would have kept my Emerald X20 over the Shorty and the CH-WS but similar to you it would have been a toss up between my Emerald X20 and the CO-WS1000N2 if I had them both at the same time. To me the Concert series are notch better than the other models I have owned or tried and only the Concert series can rival the Emerald X20. I am talking about tone and playability only. Your miles may vary.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

I find those two guitars VERY different.

The CO-DR1000N2...

The X20 Opus...

While both sound good, it is a bit like comparing a Cadillac CTS to a Porsche Panamera. Both are very nice 4 door automobiles, but the styling, execution, and ergonomics are very different. And each individual will be drawn more to one over the other. Some think dreadnoughts are old-fashioned looking, and some think they are the only true guitar style. Frankly, I can't think of two more different guitar styles, and I really appreciate what Emerald is doing with their guitar design

Maybe you are just "writing out loud" as you determine which guitar you will keep? That's cool. Especially in that respect, the only "judgement" that counts is yours. I know which guitar I would keep.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

I find those two guitars VERY different.

The CO-DR1000N2...

The X20 Opus...

While both sound good, it is a bit like comparing a Cadillac CTS to a Porsche Panamera. Both are very nice 4 door automobiles, but the styling, execution, and ergonomics are very different. And each individual will be drawn more to one over the other. Some think dreadnoughts are old-fashioned looking, and some think they are the only true guitar style. Frankly, I can't think of two more different guitar styles, and I really appreciate what Emerald is doing with their guitar designs.

Maybe you are just "writing out loud" as you determine which guitar you will keep? That's cool. Especially in that respect, the only "judgement" that counts is yours. I know which guitar I would keep.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I find those two guitars VERY different. ... While both sound good, it is a bit like comparing a Cadillac CTS to a Porsche Panamera. Both are very nice 4 door automobiles, but the styling, execution, and ergonomics are very different. And each individual will be drawn more to one over the other. Some think dreadnoughts are old-fashioned looking, and some think they are the only true guitar style. Frankly, I can't think of two more different guitar styles, and I really appreciate what Emerald is doing with their guitar design

What I wrote above is largely in agreement with your assessment on styling, appearance, and ergonomics. Not being familiar with elite automobiles, I can't comment on that, but the two guitars do indeed look very different, and I think the Emerald's styling is quite striking. I did say that these impressions were relative to my own tastes.

And yet, to my ears and fingers, the two guitars nonetheless play and sound very similar to one another.

I own a guitar.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:09 AM

Great review/comparison. Thanks for taking the time to write this up!

The Emerald really is a classy looking guitar even if not so traditional!
Old 02-23-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post
.......And yet, to my ears and fingers, the two guitars nonetheless play and sound very similar to one another.
And that is the gist of the matter. Both are truly fine guitars that sound and play well. One takes a traditional form factor and the other takes advantage of the CF medium to build ergonomic and curvaceous shapes.

GBG, we hope you can get to the gathering this afternoon, where you will get to test almost everything out there. (I don't think there will be a Leviora present).
Old 02-24-2018, 01:52 PM

I just purchased a RainSong Hybrid Series H-OM1000N2 Slim Body. My first introduction to CF guitars. There is no doubt that the Emerald is a sexy guitar. It is truly a work of art. My Rainsong is a typical Hybrid design that lends itself to extreme comfortability. I am not in love with what I call a the U neck design. Too much meat compared to my Taylors and Martin for my preference. I am unable to play thumb notes. The out of the box setup was horrible. I had to remove a lot of the bridge saddle to get it to playable specs. The volume and tone are great BUT when I A/B it against my wood guitars the Rainsong is definitely not as rich and deep. I enjoy playing it but it will not replace my wood guitars. The Fishman Prefix+T electronics are GREAT.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-24-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Too much meat compared to my Taylors and Martin for my preference. I am unable to play thumb notes.

Funny, the more substantial neck is one reason I am leaning towards keeping my Rainsong - it has softer shoulders than the thin neck with broader shoulders on the Emerald. I actually find that it is easier to do thumb notes with the Rainsong than the Emerald. I had a Martin with the Performance neck once, and it only lasted a few days with me because of that neck. Give me a Martin Mod-V neck every day and twice on Sundays.

I've never really taken to the skinny Taylor necks, either - further proof that everyone's mileage will vary.

I own a guitar.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:36 PM

A couple more days with the Rainsong Concert Series dreadnought and the Emerald X20 Opus are under my belt, and I am really leaning towards keeping my Rainsong and selling the Emerald.

Make no mistake, the Opus is a fine guitar and it sounds awesome, but I find the bigger shoulders on the neck combined with its thinness to be fatiguing to play. I have always preferred more substantial necks, as I have said before, and the Rainsong fits my hands and style much better.

For purposes of the review, I can say that I have heard more of a difference in tone between the two - it isn't radical, but you can hear it. The Rainsong has better string separation while chords on the Emerald seem more full and a tad richer. Neither makes one better than the other to my ears, just different.

The Rainsong is also noticeably louder. I heard this at first, but it has become more apparent the more I play them, especially when I dig in. Again, the fact that the dreadnought has more internal air to push probably accounts for this.

The Emerald wins the beauty contest hands down - it is a sexy beast. Nonetheless, the skinny neck is likely going to be a deal breaker on this one.

I understand the enthusiasm for Emerald guitars, and I share it, but a more substantial neck with softer shoulders will have to become a standard option before I consider another one. I know that I can get a bigger neck in a custom shop order, but for now, I think I will keep on loving my Rainsong.

I own a guitar.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Make no mistake, the Opus is a fine guitar and it sounds awesome, but I find the bigger shoulders on the neck combined with its thinness to be fatiguing to play.
You said that better than I have been able to. I spent a year plus with my Artisan X20, trying to adjust my technique etc... to avoid the hand fatigue. Unlike you I tend to prefer the Taylor neck but still found the stock Emerald neck a problem. I appreciate their willingness customize but am not ready to spend the kind of money that would take, so I am looking at a WS size Rainsong instead as I have found the neck on my Shorty to be fine, and like you above, I find it easier to thumb over now that I am used to it.
This is why we are blessed to have so many CF options around these days.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Rainsong Concert Series Dreadnought and Emerald X20 Opus

I transitioned to carbon fiber a few years ago when I bought my house in North Dakota. Very cold (and long) winters with the heat on constantly paired with a very dry climate meant that I could not adequately humidify my place to keep a wooden acoustic happy, and given that a guitar in its case does not get played in my house, I knew it was time for the change. I have owned and played many outstanding, higher-end wooden guitars. I played a Rainsong once in a shop many years ago (maybe 1999 or so), but I have no recollection of my impressions other than it seemed rather bright. I did know that they were an established brand, so I went on faith and ordered a CO-DR1000N2, which has the newer unidirectional soundboard that promised a warmer tone.

As it is said, with a carbon fiber guitar you come for the low maintenance, but you stay for the tone - no exception here. I really liked the tone I got from the Rainsong straight out of the box. I was even more impressed with its feel; it is among the easiest to fret guitars I have ever played.

Having read a lot of good things about Emerald Guitars lately, I decided to get one to try out against the Rainsong, with the intention of keeping one and selling the other. I ordered the stock X20 Opus. The comparison is not exactly equal; the scale length and other measurements are slightly different, the Emerald has a regular graphite top (not unidirectional) and the bodies are a little different in shape. Nonetheless, the differences are not so great as that between, say, a dreadnought and an OM. You can compare measurements and numbers on the respective guitar’s web page.

These impressions are relevant to my own particular tastes; your mileage may and will vary.

Pictures? Both guitars look the same as their web page pictures.

Visual Appeal and Ergonomics: The Rainsong is a traditional dreadnought shape, and I like the dreadnought shape. However, I have never been a fan of abalone on guitars (when I played wooden guitars, I always preferred "wood bling"), so the rosette and the sharks on the fretboard have never really appealed to me. It is all-gloss. The barn-door electronics are a turnoff, especially because I don’t plug it in (and, in fact, I have never plugged it in, so I can offer no impressions of the amplified sound). The Emerald is a visually striking instrument, with the interesting curves caused by the beveled top and cutaway and the offset soundhole. The headstock shape is nice, too, and it accommodates a tuner somewhat better than the Rainsong. I like acoustic guitars without markers on the fretboard, so the black board is appealing to me. The top is gloss while the back and sides are the carbon fiber equivalent of satin, which looks fine. While there are no sharp edges as on the Rainsong, the rounded back on the Emerald means when playing standing up with the guitar against my aging belly, there is more motion; however, I rarely play standing up anymore.
Judgment: The Emerald wins this due to no abalone and, frankly, a sexy shape. I like the look of black, unadorned carbon fiber. I don’t play out and only one other person ever sees my guitars (or, mercifully, hears me play), so I am not trying to impress anyone, but the edge goes to the Emerald regardless.

Neck Profile and Feel: The Rainsong (N2) neck is a C-shape with softer shoulders; it has some girth but it is not a baseball bat by any means. Using my left (fretting) thumb, even on the A string in the first position, is no real problem. Plays pleasantly right up the neck. The Emerald’s neck I would call a relatively thin and flat C, much slimmer than the Rainsong but with more pronounced shoulders. Using the left thumb is therefore more difficult, but the neck is comfortable regardless. It also plays comfortably right up the neck, and the cutout gives greater access to the upper frets, though because it is an acoustic guitar, I don’t have a lot of need there.
Judgment: All other things being equal, I prefer a slightly more substantial neck with softer shoulders, so the advantage here goes to the Rainsong.

Playability: Both guitars have a fairly loose feel, fretting is easy, and there are no dead spots. They take alternate tunings well with little annoyance, and tuning in general is very stable. Both are good up the neck with a capo. Bar chords on the lower frets are a little trickier with the Rainsong. Both have nice, lower action with no buzzing. The Rainsong has fatter, more comfortable frets than the Emerald.
Judgment: Toss-up.

Tone: The Emerald sounded tubby to me right out of the box; changing the stock coated D’Addario 80/20 strings to Elixir PBs (same gauge, .012s) resolved that immediately. With the new strings, the only difference in tone that I perceive between the two seems largely due to the different soundhole placements. To my ears, they basically sound the same with the slightly different presentation from that placement, and neither is better or worse, just different. The lack of a unidirectional top on the Emerald seems to make no discernible difference in the warmth of the tone.
Judgment: They both sound excellent and, in many ways, the same. Toss-up.

Volume: To my ears, the Rainsong sounds a little louder; it is a small difference, but it is noticeable to me. It is a larger guitar, so that may be as expected.
Judgment: An edge to the Rainsong.

Price: The Rainsong came with electronics and a hardshell case; these are both extra for the Emerald model that I chose, and I chose not to get them. Adding the hard case and a pickup would still make it cost several hundred dollars less than the Rainsong.
Judgment: The Emerald has the edge.

Final Assessment: I really like them both. There are differences but they are not overly pronounced. As I said, these are my impressions based upon my tastes - yours will be different. I have no idea which will stay and which will go.
You have the two ultimate carbon guitars to do the following comparison for us if you will? Please hold each guitar sideways and sight across the top, one side to the other, and give us your findings of what you see across the plane of each guitar's top from the neck/top area to the rear of the top. Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-25-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Please hold each guitar sideways and sight across the top, one side to the other, and give us your findings of what you see across the plane of each guitar's top from the neck/top area to the rear of the top. Thanks.

I would say the Rainsong is slightly concave under the strings while the Emerald is slightly convex.

I own a guitar.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I would say the Rainsong is slightly concave under the strings while the Emerald is slightly convex.
Interesting. If I look this way at my X7, looking across the surface it looks flat. But looking at the reflexion of the strings in the top it looks somewhat concave (the custom light string reflexion dips in the middle).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber