The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2016, 04:12 AM

Interesting reading all the comments. I just got my GS mini spruce and it sounds very bright.
After constantly playing electric, I also find the action very high and the strings harsh.
I'll try some of the ideas on here and see what happens. I would just like a more mellow tone and lower action.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

"Suzidownunder
Wrote:

Interesting reading all the comments. I just got my GS mini spruce and it sounds very bright.
After constantly playing electric, I also find the action very high and the strings harsh.
I'll try some of the ideas on here and see what happens. I would just like a more mellow tone and lower action."

The Spruce-topped versions ARE brighter sounding than the mahogany and koa topped versions. To my ear, phosphor bronze, medium gauge strings sound best and mellow the tone a bit. If you like coated strings, Elixir medium phosphor bronze Nanowebs could help. I think the 80/20s are brighter than the PBs.

Some say coated strings also calm the brightness a bit on some guitars. I personally do not use coated strings, but have found that the Elixir Polywebs do mute some of the metallic-tones due to the thickness of the coating, if PBs do not give you the tone you want.

Don't give up on the mini yet. Lots of string choices for little cost.

Lowering the action is very simple. Most any tech can do a simple set up. May just be a truss rod adjustment.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:26 PM

Truss rod is good neck nice and straight. I lowered the action considerably , refitted the 13 s and now it's sounding pretty nice. I would never give up on her.. She is too cute! She's growing on me! 😏

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gs mini, mahogany, strings