The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-29-2014, 12:25 PM

Default Practice routine

What is your typical daily practice routine?

I practice playing pieces I know and ones I am learning. I do very little scale work and practice technique when needed for a piece.
My routine goes something like this...
One hour in the morning, 1/2 hour at lunch, and probably an hour after work.
So, approximately 2+ hours a day. All for my joy of playing only.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChip View Post
I practice playing pieces I know and ones I am learning. I do very little scale work and practice technique when needed for a piece.
Same here.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:45 AM

2 hours a day almost everyday. 4-5 days a week only flamenco guitar. 2-3 days acoustic and electric.
15 minutes warm-up (aka. Picados, rasgueados, tremolo, scales, alzapua...)
45 minutes practice what is more dificult for me, and also study new Estudios and so on.
1 hour of playing what I feel like.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:24 AM

Lately I've been preparing to record my arrangements of 13 Christmas songs. I will play thru each of the songs one time, which takes me about an hour. I try to do this 2 or 3 times a day.

It took awhile to get my arrangements memorized. Now when I practice them, I focus of fluidity/playing legato, and playing with feeling/Spirit (vs. just mechanical).

I have also begun practicing in a park (weather permitting) near people who can hear me play. There is a threshold of playing for people vs. just playing alone in a room which must be crossed.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
There is a threshold of playing for people vs. just playing alone in a room which must be crossed.
Quite true and I'm surprised at how difficult this is for me.

As for my routine, it is somewhat limited by my disability (severe back injury and arthritis). I can only play for 30-45 minutes at a time but try to set down with my guitar at least twice a day and some times more often. After a few bars of chord progressions I play through the songs I have memorized, then work on the ones I'm learning or still trying to commit to memory. Some days the emphasis is on new stuff and other times I spend most of the session on smoothing out the stuff I already know.

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical