The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-28-2014, 07:20 AM

Default hybrids?

Forgive me because I'm sure what I'm asking has been asked a million times but I'm not sure how to search for it lol. I'm a steel string guy but I have been thinking about getting a classical or something with nylon strings. This will not be a primary instrument just something to play when I need to take it easier so I can't tie up a bunch of cash in it. I have tried classical guitars but don't jive with the extra wide spacing and would like something more like a steel string with say 1.75 nut width and 2 1/8-2 1/4 saddle. Smaller body is just fine. I also am not wanting electronics so a decent unplugged sound is required (not looking for champagne on a beer budget but budwiser is so much better than natty light of you catchmy drift). Any ideas?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 AM

For what you want: Cordoba

Kronbauer TDK MJ
Taylor GC6
Taylor NS62ce
Gibson J-45 Rosewood Modern Classic
DiGiorgio Classic 28-1975
Digiorgio Guarany C2-1979
Washburn R 314K
Fender Telecaster '73
Feneder Stratocaster
Tacoma Thunder Chief Acoustic Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Daddy Mojo C5 Cigar Box
Kamoa Custom Shop 700 T Uke
Kamoa FM-T Uke
Martin Style 0 1944 Uke
Kala Acacia Tenor Uke
Washburn Banjolele
Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 PM

A crossover guitar seems to be your target. Cordoba has 3/4 sized classicals and their Fusion line.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:57 PM

I've got two all solid Cordobas: the C9 parlor (cedar mahogany), which is a 7/8 size classical guitar with a flat fretboard and a 1 7/8" nut width; and the C10 Crossover (spruce/rosewood), which is a genuine full-sized crossover with a radiused fretboard and a 1 7/8" nut width. If I were to recommend one of the two, I'd say go for the C10 Crossover. It would be hard not to like this guitar.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've got two all solid Cordobas: the C9 parlor (cedar mahogany), which is a 7/8 size classical guitar with a flat fretboard and a 1 7/8" nut width; and the C10 Crossover (spruce/rosewood), which is a genuine full-sized crossover with a radiused fretboard and a 1 7/8" nut width. If I were to recommend one of the two, I'd say go for the C10 Crossover. It would be hard not to like this guitar.
If I am not mistaken, the C9 and C10 Parlors have a 50 mm nut width and the C9 and C10 Crossovers have a 48mm nut width.

This can make a bit of a difference for the player, if like me you have small hands and/or short pinky. I could actually swear that the C10 Parlor that I'm trying to sell has a 52mm nut, because the neck on my 55FCe Negra feels thinner even though they are both spec'd at 50mm. I think the neck thickness/depth varies quite a bit by series.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:50 AM

Two examples, but both companies have other models:

LaPatrie: http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guita...ightburst.html

Cervantes: http://www.cervantesguitars.com/port...cer1signature/

I've used both and currently own a Cervantes Crossover I.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim83 View Post
Forgive me because I'm sure what I'm asking has been asked a million times but I'm not sure how to search for it lol. I'm a steel string guy but I have been thinking about getting a classical or something with nylon strings. This will not be a primary instrument just something to play when I need to take it easier so I can't tie up a bunch of cash in it. I have tried classical guitars but don't jive with the extra wide spacing and would like something more like a steel string with say 1.75 nut width and 2 1/8-2 1/4 saddle. Smaller body is just fine. I also am not wanting electronics so a decent unplugged sound is required (not looking for champagne on a beer budget but budwiser is so much better than natty light of you catchmy drift). Any ideas?
Here's my crossover guitar page if you'd like a bit more info about what "crossover guitar" is, and a review of my Cordoba Orchestra Fusion:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageGuitarCrossover.html
Old 10-29-2014, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Here's my crossover guitar page if you'd like a bit more info about what "crossover guitar" is, and a review of my Cordoba Orchestra Fusion:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageGuitarCrossover.html
Thanks Rudy4 - that was very informative. I'd been intrigued by crossovers and could never really put my finger on the "definition".

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 10-29-2014, 06:59 AM

Picked up a Cordoba Fusion 12 maple body about a month ago. Cant put it down. 12 fret, 1 7/8 neck, om body, cutaway w/pickup/mike installed. I got this after my teacher started branching into classical music. Started listening to some Latin/Samba/BosaNova and got hooked. He plays a Martin 000-ce which is real nice but he performs out and needs that little extra that it provides. I believe others here have a lot of love for the Cordoba line too.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:10 AM

Another Fusion 12 Maple guy.
Love mine. Really great acoustic tone. Easily the equal of my Takemine EC132SC with all solid woods and the plugged in tone is great as well.
As a jazz player it has an Archtop'y vibe to it with the ebony board and
figured maple.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical