The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Default Godin Multiac

Does anyone here have a nylon string multiac? If you do, how low can you set the action?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookychase View Post
Does anyone here have a nylon string multiac? If you do, how low can you set the action?
I don't have one but have played many. Since it's a bolt on neck, you should have an infinite amount of adjustment.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:44 PM

Had one several years ago. The neck was a thing of beauty and strings could be set very low. It is very comfortable to play all around.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:25 PM

As mentioned above, you can set the saddle height by shimming the neck, front or back depending on which direction you want to go, after first setting the right amount of relief with the truss rod. I'd leave the piezo's alone. I have one set to just barely buzzing on a heavy pluck, which suits my style and no-nails playing technique.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:59 AM

Thanks. I was thinking about buying the Encore model which doesn't have the 13 pin connector. Its a little more affordable.

I've been listening to Buster B Jones and he mentioned to set a low action and I didn't know how possible it was on a nylon string.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:30 AM

I have one. I bought mine from GC about a year ago. To be quite honest, I've never had to adjust anything; straight from the box the action was low and wonderfully playable without any fret buzz. The only thing about the new ones from about one year to two years ago is that they now all have Richlite fretboards. You may or may not like that - the one on mine seems just as good as ebony, but its shininess is not my favorite visual feature!
Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 PM

On your particular model, does the neck join at the 16th fret?
I like the sounds of the Duet Ambiance but I'm not so sure how comfortable the neck would be, being it joins the body at the 16th fret.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
On your particular model, does the neck join at the 16th fret?
I like the sounds of the Duet Ambiance but I'm not so sure how comfortable the neck would be, being it joins the body at the 16th fret.
No, mine joins at the 15th fret. Is the Duet Ambience different from that? That seems strange ...
Old 10-21-2014, 01:39 AM

Default Sa

I used to have an Multiac Grand Concert SA model from 2011 to 2013. The piezo saddles had incorrect intonation, but I was able to get around that by adding more forward bow. It also improved the "classical" tone. Eventually I sold it because I just wanted a better tone overall. It's great as an electrified classical, but can't compete with some other classical guitars for authentic tone in it's price range.

I used it in this track, as one of the guitars in the climax section:

Old 10-21-2014, 05:31 AM

Godin's website describes the guitars as the neck joining at the 16th fret and the Grand Concert at the 12th fret.

I live about an hour's drive from the nearest dealers and no one has one in stock. Looking at the pictures I would count the frets and it looked like they joined at the 15th fret so I wasn't so sure.

I'm okay with the shiny fretboard. About 8 years ago I bought a 7 string St.Charsle model from Jimmy Foster and he buffs his fretboards to a shine.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Godin's website describes the guitars as the neck joining at the 16th fret and the Grand Concert at the 12th fret.

I live about an hour's drive from the nearest dealers and no one has one in stock. Looking at the pictures I would count the frets and it looked like they joined at the 15th fret so I wasn't so sure.

I'm okay with the shiny fretboard. About 8 years ago I bought a 7 string St.Charsle model from Jimmy Foster and he buffs his fretboards to a shine.
Well, when you asked the question, I actually got the guitar out and counted! Mine is the original Godin Multiac Nylon SA. I used to own the solid-bodied ACS SA, and I remember that also had 15 frets to the body.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:

I think one problem with the Grand is that it's really heavy. I didn't find it a comfortable guitar because of this.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I have one. I bought mine from GC about a year ago. To be quite honest, I've never had to adjust anything; straight from the box the action was low and wonderfully playable without any fret buzz. The only thing about the new ones from about one year to two years ago is that they now all have Richlite fretboards. You may or may not like that - the one on mine seems just as good as ebony, but its shininess is not my favorite visual feature!
That's been my experience too; mine's been great right out of the box -- at least, I've never felt the need to adjust anything.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Thanks for all the info. I'm hoping to get a chance to play one if a dealer would stock at least one of the models. If not, I may order one with Musician's Friend and send it back if its not what I really want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical