The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 10:54 AM

I think that a lot of people here have lost all touch with sentimentality and don't know much about women, frankly. The GAS fantasy of having a free guitar has blinded many to the real underlying theme here. As several others have owned up to, I am also a sentimental old fool, I suppose.

Oh, and if anyone here thinks she doesn't care if he trades the guitar for another after she took the time, thought, and effort to get that D18, I disagree. I would keep it forever, if nothing else, for the story, songs, etc that would come out of it.

If it were me, if I ever thought about getting back together and she were still available, I like the follow-up contact suggestion. I would arrange dinner, show up, play the most sentimental tune I could muster on that D18 right there in the restaurant, and then shut up and listen. She would let me know what the next step is, I am sure. If it is "no", then I would say "thank you for the great guitar" and add that to the storyline and memories.

In the end, it's your guitar, your ex, and your life. It's all up to you. We are only spectators. Best of luck!
Old 02-25-2018, 11:05 AM

Let me get this straight. You lost a 71 Gibson J-45 and you got a brand new Martin D-18 and you don't know what to do?

KEEP THE D-18 AND THANK THE EX GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not rocket science.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticWoody View Post
I think that a lot of people here have lost all touch with sentimentality and don't know much about women, frankly. The GAS fantasy of having a free guitar has blinded many to the real underlying theme here. As several others have owned up to, I am also a sentimental old fool, I suppose.

Oh, and if anyone here thinks she doesn't care if he trades the guitar for another after she took the time, thought, and effort to get that D18, I disagree. I would keep it forever, if nothing else, for the story, songs, etc that would come out of it.

If it were me, if I ever thought about getting back together and she were still available, I like the follow-up contact suggestion. I would arrange dinner, show up, play the most sentimental tune I could muster on that D18 right there in the restaurant, and then shut up and listen. She would let me know what the next step is, I am sure. If it is "no", then I would say "thank you for the great guitar" and add that to the storyline and memories.

In the end, it's your guitar, your ex, and your life. It's all up to you. We are only spectators. Best of luck!
Woody has hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Honestly, this. I can't imagine doing anything but keeping the D18, unless it's a complete dud with a crooked neck or something, and in which case I would probably return it for another D18 to keep the spirit of the thing intact.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:49 PM

welcome to the AGF!

play them all until one sings to you, then take it home.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkovach View Post
...my beloved guitar was stolen. A 1971 Gibson J-45. I absolutely adored it, and was heartbroken.

I loved my Gibson

- Gibson J-45

I’ve always thought it was crazy to pay for a brand new guitar. I had planned on getting one used, and I’m a big fan of old guitars.

Should I scour eBay for an old J-45 (like the one I loved so much)?
Hmmmm, looks to me like you should find an old J-45 and send her a nostalgic picture of you holding it and smiling.

P.S. I love your story and what she's doing.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-25-2018, 04:12 PM

I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but in five pages there hasn't been a peep from the OP since Post #1, which was also the OP's first (and only) post on AGF.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but in five pages there hasn't been a peep from the OP since Post #1, which was also the OP's first (and only) post on AGF.
indeed. Questionable.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Maybe he is just busy playing his D18.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:42 PM

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, keep the D-18. Unless it's a dud or so so, I think it would be more special if you keep it.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:04 PM

Keep he D-18. Incredibly versatile guitar. Keeping it will show appreciation towards the ex and it’s not like you are roughing it with a D-18. I worry that if you decide to search for a j-45 then you will have a hard time finding a good one. They just aren’t as consistently good sounding as a Martin. Just my opinion. Don’t overthink things.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:36 PM

I keep coming back to this.... if the OP doesn't LIKE the sound of a D-18, why should he keep it ? The Martin tone is not for everyone. It doesn't not fit every use or every ear. If the Ex is trying to make up for him losing is GIBSON, why not get a GIBSON which will sound a lot more like what he had ?
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 02-25-2018, 05:41 PM

Man...

I really wanted to know what happened!!!

I don't think I could bring myself to exchange it; if I did, it certainly would be down the road a bit and on my own....certainly not mailing it back to her, or to Amazon myself, "yeahhhh, that's nice but I think I'll just get somethin' else" ..

That being said, nothing wrong with getting something you want, but.. I think it would be doing a disservice to karma or the greater good (somehow, in general) to not keep it and try to enjoy it. If I found I still wanted a Gibson, down the road, so be it. I really connected with whoever said that sometimes trying to get a guitar from the past... it isn't the same.. I owned an Epiphone years ago, not a Masterbilt, but a FINE instrument... I assume some kind of PR350 special edition maybe(??)... everyone who played it compared it to Martins and higher end guitars they'd played.

I chased this guitar for years and never found one that sounded or looked the same or filled the void, etc. or lived up to the memory. I still have a soft spot for Epiphone and keep my eyes peeled for one that looks the same. I don't remember the exact model, as it was before my deep dive into acoustic guitar, so to speak.

Anyway. That all being said... OP, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED ? I would hate to think that this situation isn't even real. (assuming it actually happened: Keep the d18 at least for a while...I just had a panic attack thinking about the exchange of trying to return it and go about 'shopping' )
Old 02-25-2018, 06:10 PM

Can you just imagine if the OP ends up marrying this woman, having kids/grandkids, and every year at Christmas/Anniversary/? pulling it out and playing the song on the guitar she sent you? You would inspire a whole family, not just to play guitar, but remember what is important in the long run.

I've made up my mind. Since the OP has abandoned us, I am writing my own song and story about it.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Can you just imagine if the OP ends up marrying this woman, having kids/grandkids, and every year at Christmas/Anniversary/? pulling it out and playing the song on the guitar she sent you? You would inspire a whole family, not just to play guitar, but remember what is important in the long run.

I've made up my mind. Since the OP has abandoned us, I am writing my own song and story about it.
Make it a novel. Could end up being the next Bridges of Madison County.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion