The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-09-2024, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

i use planet waves elliptical strap buttons.

they are higher quality ones that stew mac kinda copied

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-09-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGAS79 View Post
A non-exciting question. Not sure I want to add strap locks to problem solve the pesky backside button on the vintage original Guild S-100 I recently acquired. What are some solutions for preventing a strap slippage issue? Is there something folks put between the strap end and the wide part of the button?
A big question is whether you want to put the strap on and off the guitar every time you play it versus leaving the strap always attached. If you leave the strap always attached there are plenty of very secure ways to make sure the strap end tab stays on the button. If you want to be taking the strap on and off every day, there's a tradeoff.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-09-2024, 08:57 PM

Rubber washers are great, but the ones shown above are bigger packages than you'll ever need.

If you just want a few rubber washers, hardware stores all have 'em.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
A big question is whether you want to put the strap on and off the guitar every time you play it versus leaving the strap always attached. If you leave the strap always attached there are plenty of very secure ways to make sure the strap end tab stays on the button. If you want to be taking the strap on and off every day, there's a tradeoff.
If you leave the strap attached, there is also less chance of the holes in the strap stretching and weakening, so the strap stays on more securely on its own.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 02-10-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Interestingly enough, I never had a problem with standard strap buttons over 60+ years of playing - go figure...
Me either, until I did. one of My SGs, the strap just let go!

lucky for me I grabbed it before it hit the floor. That was the last day I had any electric without strap locks.

All it takes is one time

I know acoustics are a little different, and a bit more intrusive to make that change.

some guys put a strap lock pin below the output jack. Not sure I'd ever want to do that.

there is this: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Music-N...%2419.99%20USD

but I could never get it installed so that it did not spin around.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-10-2024, 01:05 PM

Standard strap buttons, of course, with their small shaft and ample flange. The problem with the pickup endpin strapjacks is a stylish but tiny bezel trim nut. The groove that retains the strap is narrower than the thickness of many leather strap ends, so the strap isn't secure and can easily slip off over the completely inadequate flange. My Gurian has slipped off pretty often, as it's had the same strap for many years and is thus a bit stretched out. Once a cable is plugged in, of course, the plug will keep the instrument from falling, but I've had the strap come loose while lifting the guitar over my head to put it on. Firm grip on the neck avoided disaster, but it's still disconcerting (never good at a concert...).

And many of the locking strap systems won't work because they're designed to close around a standard strap button and are too small to fit in the strapjack bezel's groove. The string-y things and little dongles with a second pin are kludgey Band-Aids on a design flaw.

IMHO, this should be on the manufacturers of the aftermarket pickups. Use the standard bezel if you sit down to play, and have an alternative bezel designed like the Acoustic Strap Secure for standup players. I could certainly imagine a moment with both hands off the guitar (say, adjusting a vocal mic, turning a page on a music stand, or reaching for the cable plug) and a nudge on the strap allowing your fragile work of art to drop several feet onto a concrete floor. It's a big deal.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmajoRChico View Post
Standard strap buttons, of course, with their small shaft and ample flange. The problem with the pickup endpin strapjacks is a stylish but tiny bezel trim nut. The groove that retains the strap is narrower than the thickness of many leather strap ends, so the strap isn't secure and can easily slip off over the completely inadequate flange. My Gurian has slipped off pretty often, as it's had the same strap for many years and is thus a bit stretched out. Once a cable is plugged in, of course, the plug will keep the instrument from falling, but I've had the strap come loose while lifting the guitar over my head to put it on. Firm grip on the neck avoided disaster, but it's still disconcerting (never good at a concert...).

And many of the locking strap systems won't work because they're designed to close around a standard strap button and are too small to fit in the strapjack bezel's groove. The string-y things and little dongles with a second pin are kludgey Band-Aids on a design flaw.

IMHO, this should be on the manufacturers of the aftermarket pickups. Use the standard bezel if you sit down to play, and have an alternative bezel designed like the Acoustic Strap Secure for standup players. I could certainly imagine a moment with both hands off the guitar (say, adjusting a vocal mic, turning a page on a music stand, or reaching for the cable plug) and a nudge on the strap allowing your fragile work of art to drop several feet onto a concrete floor. It's a big deal.

Someone should weld a washer on the end of of a blank cable jack to use when the acoustic with an endpin jack isn't plugged in. Seems like an easy solution.
Old 02-12-2024, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I have the Grolsh Beer washers on a few guitars. I also have Schaller and one guitar with Dunlop straplocks. Schaller strap locks are my favorite but the Grolsh washers work fine and they're inexpensive.

I also have four of the Fender washers as well.

Grolsh:

Fender:
I'm only an occasional beer drinker and I don't particularly enjoy Grolsh. A bag of 100 washers seems excessive. However this is a guitar forum and someone is going to chime in and say they have 58 guitars and had to buy two bags.

I got a cheap set of "guitar strap washers" off of Amazon. It's hard to imagine that something so small could have a big bad toxic smell. They did! I was annoyed at paying a little over $4 for four Fender washers but they work and there you have it.

The hardware store suggestion someone mentioned is a good one. Problem solved for two twenty cent o rings. Obvious is hindsight.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmajoRChico View Post

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Tapastring Strapkeeper. I know there are a lot of AGF users who like it for the output jack flange problem.

Grolsch washers are sold most anywhere that sells home brewing supplies. No drinking necessary.

I have flush cups for Dunlop Straploks installed on several of my instruments. It's my preferred strap lock system.

If you have that "It's just a guitar" attitude then you can also install strap locks of your choice and output jacks separately, of course.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-12-2024 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:40 AM

I replaced my strap buttons with slightly larger buttons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Nice tight fit, no slipping.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:03 PM

I love Lock-It straps. Simple and effective. No metal parts to bang against your finish, or metal-on-metal contact to make noise through a sound board transducer. Can be a tight fit around endpin jacks, but worked for me.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:39 PM

Beer washers are the simplest, but these are pretty cool: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Qui...s%2C120&sr=8-3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars