The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-03-2015, 03:41 PM

I LOVE LOVE his designs but I'm not about to buy one without hearing one. Not many good videos out there of the guitars being played. I'm more interested in the steel string versions for the record, am looking for something that looks unique and sounds great acoustic and plugged in... if it sounds better plugged in I'm not interested. But I am continually watching as others post reviews, so thank you for your review!

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
I LOVE LOVE his designs but I'm not about to buy one without hearing one. Not many good videos out there of the guitars being played. I'm more interested in the steel string versions for the record, am looking for something that looks unique and sounds great acoustic and plugged in... if it sounds better plugged in I'm not interested. But I am continually watching as others post reviews, so thank you for your review!
I think it's all in woods. I asked for certain tone and playability. That's what I got. I know the guy personally and he does many of his guitars "a la carte."
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 08-04-2015, 11:26 AM

Well, I think the problem with the unplugged sound had more to do with the action and the neck relief. I fixed it and it's sounding much better unplugged.
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 08-04-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Good and bad tone is subjective but I would agree with you that it doesn't sound like a classical guitar. More like a Ukulele. But if a player can find a voice in it then it could be something truly unique.

As for the guitar, I'd be concerned with what looks like a slab cut top. It looks cool but fluctuations in humidity could cause problems with it. If you life in PR where it was built then perhaps not though from my travels on that small Island you can go from rain forest to desert in a days drive so be careful.

Interesting the analogy with an ukulele. The ukulele and many Latin American stringed instruments (specially with nylon strings) are made with hard woods on top, just like this guitar. I didn't mention the fact that the guitar wasn't setup and it needed to loose the neck in order for the strings to vibrate like they should. Now it has a distinctive "Latin American" tone," which I'd describe as mix-cutting, fast attack and decay, but surprisingly strong bass (due to the sound hole) and above average sustain for a nylon string guitar.
-Sire V5 5-string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical