The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Best strings for this guitar and player?

My wife has a Yamaha CG122-MSH, an inexpensive classical guitar that she plays sometimes. She got a nylon string because she found steel too hard on her fingers, but not because she wants to play classical guitar as such. She mostly wants to learn how to strum along with me.

The strings are the originals that came with the guitar and one of the wound strings has come undone.

What strings would you recommend for this kind of player on this guitar? What would give the best combination of sound and ease of play for what she wants to do?

Thanks, folks.

Gone and not forgotten:
Gibson LG1 (1957 model)
Norman B15 12-string (2003 model)
Old 02-13-2017, 02:21 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'd vote for something middle-of-the-road like D'Addario's EXP46 Hard Tension strings - hard tension here isn't particularly "harder" than their "normal" tension strings, but I find the sound to be much better - crisper might be the best word this morning. The wound strings with this coating seem to survive much longer than their uncoated counterparts, which for me translates into fewer string changes and less sound quality loss with the passing of weeks (or months...). After she has played those for a while she can get a sense of whether she'd like higher or lower tension strings, or if the d-g transition is too dramatic, and other such minutiae that classical guitar enthusiasts may spend too much time on. That said, in my experience a string change can take a classical guitar from a miserable experience to a really fun one, and it can also do the opposite, as happened to me recently when I went from the factory-standard EXP44 Extra Hard strings to a set of Augustine Blues. This transition left me and the guitar with a severe case of the blues - bit of word play to soften my pathos there - and tubbiness and dullness now abound. If I weren't lazy and a horrible spendthrift, I'd have switched them out on the 2-week mark, once they settled in and continued to not be enjoyable to play. If contrary to fact. But I'll never buy that particular string type again for this particular guitar. Sorry for the long and slightly off-topic ramble, but thanks for letting me vent.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:43 PM

Thank you, dosland. Great recommendation.

Gone and not forgotten:
Gibson LG1 (1957 model)
Norman B15 12-string (2003 model)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical