The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-28-2017, 06:45 PM

Default Buy an Olson

Do yourself a favor...buy an Olson. They are beautifully made, hold their value, and are worth every penny. Truth.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 02-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Sadly, I have come to the conclusion that my abilities do not merit an Olson.
Amazingly, my wife was on-board to move forward.

I was hoping to at least play one before committing but it appears no one in my area has one (or at least willing to let me hold and play it).

I'd want to go for the Brazilian, and I suspect no matter how good it is I will second-guess myself and question the outlay of cash. Perhaps a used one will come available some time in the future.

I may consider a vintage 000-28 in the future, but for now I resign myself to my current Martins (don't feel too bad for me!).

OP, keep us informed so I can live vicariously!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 02-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post

I was hoping to at least play one before committing but it appears no one in my area has one (or at least willing to let me hold and play it).

I'd want to go for the Brazilian, and I suspect no matter how good it is I will second-guess myself and question the outlay of cash. Perhaps a used one will come available some time in the future.

I may consider a vintage 000-28 in the future, but for now I resign myself to my current Martins (don't feel too bad for me!).

If I went on playing abilities, I wouldn't have purchased my Olson. My analogy to learning how to play a guitar is similar to learning to drive a car. It's far more enjoyable to learn to drive a Cadillac than a Yugo (no slam to anyone who has or has ever owned a Yugo). My Olson doesn't make me sound any better, but she sure is fun to play.

I do agree that one has to prioritize purchases and if you want to play an Olson before you buy or commission one, that may limit your options. For me, playing a guitar before purchase has never been an issue.

Olson guitars tend to hold their value, so I wouldn't expect to save a lot on a used one versus a commission although deals do come around from time to time.

Vintage Martins can cost a bundle as well, many costing more than an Olson. I've done a little browsing in that area too. But it's always fun to keep looking.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:

I will definitely add to this thread once I get some build pics! I don't think Jim returns from Arizona until April, so may be a little while, but the anticipation is half the fun.

I understand your decision - it's a lot of money. I'm sure you already know, but Luthiers Collection has a number of used ones available.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've heard others make similar statements over the years, and my response is always the same...HOGWASH! if an Olson is what you truly desire, and if you can afford one without it causing any financial grief or stress, then you should get one. Life is too short to allow our decisions to be jaded by misdirected guilt and/or the self-deprecating feelings of unworthiness. Step outside & smell the flowers.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 02-06-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Sadly, I have come to the conclusion that my abilities do not merit an Olson.)
Good for you, Why not use money where it makes the most sense. If it's that disposable maybe you could pass on your good fortune to another in some way.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I've heard others make similar statements over the years, and my response is always the same...HOGWASH! if an Olson is what you truly desire, and if you can afford one without it causing any financial grief or stress, then you should get one. Life is too short to allow our decisions to be jaded by misdirected guilt and/or the self-deprecating feelings of unworthiness. Step outside & smell the flowers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Good for you, Why not use money where it makes the most sense. If it's that disposable maybe you could pass on your good fortune to another in some way.
Well, there you have it then, these two opinions should really help you make your decision...
Old 02-06-2017, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Well, there you have it then, these two opinions should really help you make your decision...
Yep, about as helpful as any other post on AGF offering opinions...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-06-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yep, about as helpful as any other post on AGF offering opinions...

HAHAHA, I mean really, right? Back to back posts paraphrasing of course: Hey, you have worked hard for your money, life is too short, reward yourself for your obvious hardwork before it is too late and you regret that life has passed you by. Of course followed by: If you have that much extra cash you don't need it, give it away to charity and help someone other than yourself...

Those two posts could not be more opposite.

Sorry to hijack, just found the irony too good to pass up...ps. I am a fan of the first advise with some good will thrown in as well....FWIW.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I actually cannot disagree with you, and that is how my wife feels. That's why her comment was simply, "If you really want it, get it. We work hard in stressful jobs for our money".

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Well, we have no heirs, so as far as i'm concerned I hope my last penny is spent the moment I die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
HAHAHA, I mean really, right? Back to back posts paraphrasing of course: Hey, you have worked hard for your money, life is too short, reward yourself for your obvious hardwork before it is too late and you regret that life has passed you by. Of course followed by: If you have that much extra cash you don't need it, give it away to charity and help someone other than yourself...

Those two posts could not be more opposite.

Sorry to hijack, just found the irony too good to pass up...ps. I am a fan of the first advise with some good will thrown in as well....FWIW.
I do deserve these replies - you guy are like the angel and devil on my shoulders! Except both are correct.

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 02-07-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Yes, by "too deep" I did in fact mean body depth. I do have a D-28 but am not entirely comfortable with that size. It's by far my least-played guitar. I compared my 000-42 vs the Olson SJ measurements, and the waist is a tiny bit smaller than the 000, and the depth is about 1/2" more for the SJ. All other measurement differences were negligible.
Evidently I can't read...the SJ is almost 3/4" deeper than the 000; doesn't seem like it should make that much difference, but the depth of a D-28 is a little uncomfortable for me, since I am not that big and usually play seated.

Not sure if the body shape differences vs. a dread would offset the depth issue.

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 02-07-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Evidently I can't read...the SJ is almost 3/4" deeper than the 000; doesn't seem like it should make that much difference, but the depth of a D-28 is a little uncomfortable for me, since I am not that big and usually play seated.

Not sure if the body shape differences vs. a dread would offset the depth issue.
Maybe try to play your 000 with two sweaters? That would probably add half an inch or so.

Or perhaps ask Jim for a Manzer wedge?
Old 02-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

I hate to add to any confusion, but have you had a chance to play a Ryan with an arm bevel? Or any of our other very talented luthier-built guitars with an arm and rib bevel? I'm 5' 5", and don't have the longest wingspan, and both of those options make larger guitars much easier to play for me. I know you want an Olsen, and though I've never played one I can perhaps understand that nothing else can sound like one, but figured I'd make this suggestion in case you want to pursue an avenue that allows you to have a stellar guitar built for you that fits you better.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-08-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I hate to add to any confusion, but have you had a chance to play a Ryan with an arm bevel? Or any of our other very talented luthier-built guitars with an arm and rib bevel? I'm 5' 5", and don't have the longest wingspan, and both of those options make larger guitars much easier to play for me. I know you want an Olsen, and though I've never played one I can perhaps understand that nothing else can sound like one, but figured I'd make this suggestion in case you want to pursue an avenue that allows you to have a stellar guitar built for you that fits you better.
I appreciate the mention. Once again, I'd really like to play any guitar before I decide.
Jim Olson had said that I had a 48-hour approval period where I could return the guitar if I didn't care for it. I'd only be out shipping both ways.

Anyone who has an Olson and a Martin dreadnaught can explain if the depth is offset by the body shape (making the depth less obvious)? I find the overall size of a D to be more than I am comfortable with full-time.

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 02-08-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the mention. Once again, I'd really like to play any guitar before I decide.
Jim Olson had said that I had a 48-hour approval period where I could return the guitar if I didn't care for it. I'd only be out shipping both ways.

Anyone who has an Olson and a Martin dreadnaught can explain if the depth is offset by the body shape (making the depth less obvious)? I find the overall size of a D to be more than I am comfortable with full-time.
It doesn't feel like a dread at all.

That being said everyone's physical limitations are different and I can't answer your question.

Short of trying an Olson SJ, you could probably locate a J-185 and give it a shot. The J-185 is actually slightly larger but the curves are similar.

Quite frankly I think you worry a lot for very little.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop