The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-17-2017, 04:29 PM

Default Heavy Rock from a 'Light' guitar...

For the last few years my ‘Guitar room’ has been illuminated by a 100W light bulb dangling on the wire but all that had to change.

I wanted something a little bit different that incorporated my favourite passion – the guitar. My bathroom has LED spot lamps in the ceiling and one day whilst singing in the shower, I looked up and saw the light. The light fitting reminded me of the centre cone of a speaker and an idea was born. Although I prefer the acoustic guitar, the idea was more suited to the electric variety, so that's the way I went.

I had my old audio unit from my last car in the cupboard doing nothing so I decided to install that in the room and incorporate the speakers and lights together. I made two fake amplifier fronts with the LED spotlight effect to look like a speaker. Meanwhile, a real speaker and tweeter were hidden behind the fake speaker front and connected as the to the car audio unit. A string of LED modules was placed on the backs to backlight the amplifiers against the ceiling.

The guitar light was made from scraps of hardwood left over from other projects including Oak, Sapele, Walnut, Iroko, Ash and ply wood. The front and neck were finished with opaque Perspex and finished with a maple effect fret board printed on clear acetate. The inside contains a string of LED modules lighting up the Perspex front and a further string on the back to backlight against the ceiling.

The LED spotlights and LED modules are operated independently so they can be illuminated together or on their own.

Let there be light.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop