The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 08:12 PM

Default i hate my voice thinking about just playing instrumental music.

ive wrote over 100 songs. i can play multiple instruments.i can do everything but sing. i dont want to be in bands anymore and where i live there are not many people to play with. i hate the way i sound so much and i hate hearing my voice i hate singing in front of people. ive played some open mics and its not stage fright. i play instrumentals im confident in my playing. its like what i hear in my head and what comes out is not the same. i dont have control of my voice. ive got a book shelf of vocal instructional material. i feel like i just want to get stoned and play jazz instrumentals. ive spent last few years and especially the last few months really trying its so frustraiting. anyone else had this experience
Old 02-24-2018, 08:18 PM

I hear you on hearing your own voice. It embarrasses me to hear myself sometimes. Then I'll hear some famous person sing on Youtube without enhancements and then realize, maybe it ain't so bad after all.
I personally wish I could play better instrumentally. That's even a greater frustration for me.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:35 PM

Hello, Ringo?
Old 02-24-2018, 08:48 PM

I'm not a huge fan of my voice either, but performing isn't necessarily about what you like. I'm sure Danny DeVito isn't a huge fan of his own looks, but he's done well for himself.

Maybe you just haven't found your "performing" voice yet. Working with others that you trust will likely help you with that.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:22 PM

A few voice lessons with a qualified voice teacher would make a big improvement.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:23 PM

Why do you hate it?
Old 02-24-2018, 09:52 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Is this your own feeling/assessment or have you had any feedback from others?

It’s quite common for singers to not like the sound of their own voice, but I think that the more you hear it, the more you can fairly assess it and even come to like it. I can’t say that I’m at that point. Lessons with an actual voice coach will likely help a lot. One of the important aspects of singing is learning how to properly breathe...so you’re kind of intaking and moving air up from your gut rather than just shallow from your throat.

You’re a multi-instrumentalist. The singing voice is just another instrument that can be trained, but do it with an actual person.

Good luck. You can do it!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:08 PM

We only hate (hearing) our voice when it is played back because its different than what we are used to hearing. The sound travels and affects our hearing differently. Really something we have to get used to.

Im in the same boat though, dont like listening to my voice played back.

The only thing I can suggest is work on getting the pitch of your voice perfect. Leave the timbre for others to decide. Maybe Ill follow my own advice someday. I love to sing, and I think im good when hearing myself sing. Play it back from a record though and thats a different story.

This leads me to think...do Celine Dion and Beyonce also hate their own voice? We as listeners will say its exceptional, but when they hear their voice back, do they cringe like the rest of us?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:10 PM

Bob Dylan

Neil Young

Leonard Cohen

nuff said
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 PM

Everyone sounds different on a recording than they think they should, because much of what you hear when you sing is the resonance of your vocal chords within your own cranium. It is one reason you often see artists plug one ear to deal with a pitchy environment.

My suggestion would be to play regularly with a mic recoding your voice, and with headphones on to monitor how you sound outside of your own head.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 02-24-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Bob Dylan

Neil Young

Leonard Cohen

nuff said
Exactly my thoughts
Old 02-24-2018, 10:37 PM

I don't care for my voice. I wasn't blessed with great pipes. But, I did learn to sing harmony, by singing to the car radio. I enjoy recording little tunes at home. I find that when I sing harmony, or even double my voice, I feel better about singing. Recording my little tunes has taught me a lot about music in general, by playing all the parts (except a simple drum machine), on a simple stand alone Zoom multi track recorder. Here's a tune I recorded a while back, that I put on soundcloud. I doubled my voice, and sang harmony to myself. The process is fun, and I have a day job, so I don't worry about what folks think. I also find people very accepting of people who try to sing at open mics, or in bands. I like blues, but wanted to write a retro sounding pop type tune.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
A few voice lessons with a qualified voice teacher would make a big improvement.
Good advice...

As I plan to get back into performing, I've come to realize that my vocals aren't as controlled as they were back in my stage days. They weren't so hot back then, either.

I plan to give it a little more time on my own to see what I can recover. I had some voice training in college so I have a fair to middling idea of how to proceed. Regardless, lately I've been considering getting some training to move things along.

Take heart. I've often found this quote...often repeated, more often paraphrased, and attributed to various worthies...to help boost my confidence:

“The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best.”

It was posted in the music department.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 PM

Default the sound of your own voice

I don't think I have heard of anyone who upon first hearing what their voice sounded like who liked what they heard. Listen to recordings of it for a while and you may just decide that it is not nearly so bad as you thought. You may only need to get used to it.

What one sounds like to yourself is quite different than from the way others hear it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgrass View Post
ive wrote over 100 songs. i can play multiple instruments.i can do everything but sing. i dont want to be in bands anymore and where i live there are not many people to play with. i hate the way i sound so much and i hate hearing my voice i hate singing in front of people. ive played some open mics and its not stage fright. i play instrumentals im confident in my playing. its like what i hear in my head and what comes out is not the same. i dont have control of my voice. ive got a book shelf of vocal instructional material. i feel like i just want to get stoned and play jazz instrumentals. ive spent last few years and especially the last few months really trying its so frustraiting. anyone else had this experience
Being a performer usually means playing what your audience wants to hear. Most audiences want to hear vocals, at least for part of the performance... Let your tip jar be your guide...............

"Artists" play what they want to, hoping the audience will appreciate the music that they, the Artist, wants to play, and love them all to crazy for doing just that.... Artists have a lot tougher time making money from music than competent performers do...

Best of luck at whichever path you choose....

Don

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion