The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 04:55 PM

Default Tried out a Collings 02H today......

And all I can say is it’s an awesome sounding guitar.

While there I asked what he thought about the Collings baby, and was surprised when he said he doesn’t order them, couldn’t understand why Collings even made them. Also says the sound quality is no where near the “0” series.

I really want to try a Baby out before I rule it out, but that 02H was a sweet guitar
Old 02-25-2018, 12:21 AM

Of course the salesman would say that — he wants to sell what he has.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:56 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
And all I can say is it’s an awesome sounding guitar.

While there I asked what he thought about the Collings baby, and was surprised when he said he doesn’t order them, couldn’t understand why Collings even made them. Also says the sound quality is no where near the “0” series.

I really want to try a Baby out before I rule it out, but that 02H was a sweet guitar
I've been trying to play that guitar too. Can't find it anywhere. I gave up. I probably wouldn't personally go that small anyway. The closest I could find was a Santa Cruz Firefly, which sounds awesome, so if it's anything like the Collings, I can see why you want to try one. My problem with the Firefly is the narrow neck or I might have sprung for it. I can't even say it would sound boxy compared to an 0, because Collings is so good it just might not. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
Of course the salesman would say that — he wants to sell what he has.
Oh, I get that, but I've talked to a few Collings dealers, but he's the first one to actually talk bad about another Collings guitar.

m
Old 02-26-2018, 01:25 PM

That is an odd thing to say. In what application is it not even close? It's probably not as versatile but who's to say what sounds better anyways?

Just buy the 02H. It will bring you eternal happiness!

Last edited by Fishfood; 02-26-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I owned an 02HG and that German top made that little 0 sing! Very sweet guitar. I'd still own it if my heart hadn't been stolen by the beauty of Mahogany. So, now I own an 01G and an 01MH. Fabulous guitars and quite versatile.

I can't imagine why a Collings dealer would run down the Baby any more than he would run down a D1A. The Baby's not for everybody, but neither is the dread. Seems like the Baby is 3/4 the size of an OM... extremely comfortable to play. It is a little more limited than the 0, but it's probably one of the two finest parlors I've ever played. For what the Baby is, Collings did a superb job.

A well-known Collings dealer once told me that the 0s were the best-kept secret Collings had... and I tend to agree. Wonderful guitars.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:22 PM

The Baby is cool but I think you'll like the 02H better because of the longer string scale
Old 02-27-2018, 04:56 PM

I've got an 02HG and it's a great little guitar with a surprisingly big sound.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Oh, I get that, but I've talked to a few Collings dealers, but he's the first one to actually talk bad about another Collings guitar.

m
I own a baby, and a slew of other Collings. The baby model is pretty impressive. Mine is in walnut and Sitka. The dealer who ordered it for me told me he and his staff were quite envious of me when they was packing it to send out to me.

I’ve got to ask, has the dealer you went to even played one (outside of the NAMM show where you can’t hear a thing)? If he ar she hasn’t then that’s pretty poor representation of the brand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion