The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 08:40 PM

I would play a current J-45 and see if it sounds like your old one. If it does, take her offer to return it for any other guitar at that price. Helping her guilt is the reason she spent the money. The best way to help her is to get the guitar most like the old one. If after playing a new J-45 you find they do NOT sound right you may like the Martin better. I suspect you won't. Gibsons do not sound like Martins. So get the guitar you like best and send her your thanks for making this happen.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 02-24-2018, 08:47 PM

I’d keep th D-18. A special person gave you this gift, and a darn fine one at that. Fate, Karma, or whatever has come upon you. Accept it without question and be thankful.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 02-24-2018, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

A sweet story...loved it. Please keep the guitar and the great memory of the love that inspired it. This will mean even more to you in the years to come.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
A sweet story...loved it. Please keep the guitar and the great memory of the love that inspired it. This will mean even more to you in the years to come.
Yes! I feel like every time you pick that guitar, you will be reminded of that memory and it'll out a smile on your. Face
Old 02-24-2018, 09:09 PM

It's a great story. If I were in your position, I would keep the guitar unless it just doesn't appeal to you. Like others have said, the guitar will get better as it gets played, you will find the pics and strings you like best for it, and you will probably develop a style and sound of your own playing it. In addition, if you stick around here long enough, you will be encouraged to develop a signature that includes a number of new guitars to play along with the D18 that will be nice but have a far less appealing story. Finally, no one here will be critical if you sell this keeper down the road. Have a look at all the keepers, Dream Guitars, and forever guitars that are listed in the AGF classifieds every day.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-24-2018, 09:48 PM

I would play a few J-45's. If you find one that strikes a chord in your soul, purchase it, if not keep the D-18 and enjoy it. The D-18 is a wonderful guitar.
Just my 0.02 worth.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:17 PM

You liked your J-45. Go to a guitar store that has one in stock. Take your D-18 with you and A/B them together to decide which one you prefer.

Easy as that.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Yes! I feel like every time you pick that guitar, you will be reminded of that memory and it'll out a smile on your. Face
I like that. And really who's business except yours is it how you got it anyway? Keep it. It's a gift from someone you once cherished. Anyone that would be jealous of a guitar is a waste of time.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:32 PM

I would never give up that D18. My D18 is my favorite guitar (usually), and that one comes as a special gift.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:36 PM

Firstly, great story. I'm glad to see people able to be friends after being romantically involved. Kudos to both of you. Secondly, I'd keep the D-18. Very cool story BTW. I'm no expert but I do know that strings and picks (to name a couple) can make a difference in the tone of the guitar. You did mention that it was a bit to bright for your liking. The D-18 is made of Mahogany back and sides which will give it a brighter sound than the Indian rosewood on the D-28, HD-28, HD-28V etc. The rosewood seems to give a warmer tone. What your old Gibby was made of I haven't a clue. I recently purchased a HD-28V which has the aforementioned rosewood and for a brand new immature guitar it is astounding. Tone, play ability, looks...the whole 9 yards. But my advice is go play many different ones if you are able to. If you can't keep the D-18 for whatever reason go with your gut and get the one that speaks to you.

Keep on Rocking in the Free World...
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkovach View Post
Hi Everyone,

I’m new to the forum, and I thank you all in advance for any guidance or advice you may have on my (very) unique situation. And let me apologize now for the length of this post.

Basically, I am having a very good “problem”. Let me (not-so) briefly explain how I got here.

Several years ago I was dating a girl. To make a long story short, while I was with her, my beloved guitar was stolen. A 1971 Gibson J-45. I absolutely adored it, and was heartbroken. I’ve always been pretty strapped for cash, and I have not owned an acoustic since then.

The girl and I have been broken up for several years now, and she has gone on to do very well for herself. I knew that she had always blamed herself for the guitar getting stolen (99% likely it was her addict ex boyfriend). I forgave her for it, told her it was not her fault, etc. I since moved away. We haven’t spoken in a year. I got an e-mail from her last week saying that I’d be receiving a package in the mail. I figure it is some kind of catch-up letter, or some kind of gift that reminded her of me. Something like that.

I get home on Saturday to my apartment to find a brand new Martin D-18 at my door. She bought it on Amazon for $2,459.

I called her, basically in shock. Can’t deny there were some tears. She explained that she couldn’t stand the thought of me not playing guitar (we used to sing songs together as a part of our relationship. Very beautiful memories).

My first reaction was to reject it. She insists that I keep it. Apparently she is doing very well for herself, and this is a way for her to right a wrong from several years ago. She got me the D-18, thinking that it was the same guitar I had stolen from me. I told her this wasn’t the case (it was a vintage Gibson J-45) and she told me that I could return it or exchange for basically any guitar I want similar in value.

So, literally out of nowhere, I get to choose any acoustic I want.
I know to many of you, I sound like a spoiled brat right now, and that I should accept the D-18 and love it as such. And there's a great chance I will. But this is the guitar I will never sell and will own for the rest of my life, and I want to make the right decision.

I’ve been planning/saving for my big high-end acoustic purchase for years now, so I have done my fair share of research. I know that I am not a Taylor guy, as I find them too bright for my taste. I loved my Gibson (even though it was apparently made in a very bad era for Gibson). The sound was great, but what made it perfect was the action. I don’t know how or why, but it made me a far better acoustic player. The neck was great.

Here is my question for you guys. What do you do if you have 3k to spend on a guitar within the next week?

I’ve narrowed it down the best I can. It's 100% Martin or Gibson. Stupid as it is, I'm old fashioned and really love the iconic brands that have made such a huge impact on the music I love. I know there are great boutique brands out there, but for my one life-long high end acoustic, it's gotta be a Martin or Gibson.

Here are my final options:

- Martin D-18 (the one I currently have with the tag still on it).
- Martin D-28
- Gibson J-45
- Gibson Hummingbird.

And that’s it.

My first reaction to the D-18 was positive. My ex knows literally nothing about guitars, so she actually bought it on Amazon. I was concerned about this, but it seems to be fine. I don’t know if it has been set up or anything.

The sound is beautiful, but a bit brighter than I prefer. Also, I’m a big guy (6’5’’ with big ol hands) and the guitar is on the smaller side. I’m thinking the D-28 might be more suitable? Or Gibsons?

I’ve always thought it was crazy to pay for a brand new guitar. I had planned on getting one used, and I’m a big fan of old guitars. But maybe its best to play it safe and stick with brand new? It's a weird feeling, because I'm literally playing with someone else's money.

What would you guys do if you were me? Are brand new Martins as good as the vintage ones? Should I scour eBay for an old J-45 (like the one I loved so much)? Get a badass bright orange Hummingbird?

Musically, I’m very into folk, blues, rock ,etc etc. My ideal guitar sound is something similar to early Neil Young, Stones, Dylan, etc. Would definitely say I prefer a more deep, full sound, rather than a modern bright Taylor-esque sound. I dabble in bluegrass and country, but I'd say I'm definitely blues/folk based.

I realize that this^ is all sprawling and I’m probably not even asking a specific question, but, still, I would love to hear some advice from some wiser folks than myself. I’m sure that most of you would kill to be in this position. I still kind of can’t believe that it’s happening to me. I’m sure I could stick with the D-18 and be happy, but I’d always wonder if I made the wrong choice.

Cheers,

- Peter
I'd forget the guitar and try to get back with that girl.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:50 PM

OMG..I cant believe you would even consider giving up the D-18! If I were the recipient of such a fine guitar from a lovely lady, I could not part with it. Show some gratitude!
Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Peter, be happy she didn’t gift you an Esteban, Keith Urban or Randy Jackson. That girl at least has taste. I wonder how she came to know that a D18 is a really good guitar.

Look, you haven’t played in years and a D18 gets gifted to you out of nowhere. Like has been said...play it like you stole it. That guitar has mojo. Replace the old memory of the J45 with a new memory in that D18.

And yeah, you can’t get back that stolen J45, but that girl seems like a keeper and if it makes sense, get her back...and a D18 to boot. Seems like a great possible outcome to me.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
That girl at least has taste. I wonder how she came to know that a D18 is a really good guitar.
Ive been 'suspicious' about this too haha. The lady narrowed the guitar down to the same top, back and side woods, and the same body shape(almost).
Something special.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:22 PM

There would be only one reason to sell the D-18........a ring....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion