The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Martin D-41 (current vs 2018)

Hi all,

I need everyone's advice and opinion regarding the current D-41 against the newly introduced 2018 version (reimagined) of the Martin's D-41.

Basically, are the only differences between these versions of a magnificant guitar purely down to the neck, open machine heads and the forward shifted X-bracing?

In terms of sound, has anyone tried the 2018 D-41? How is it?

I tried the 2018 D-28 (the store didn't have the 2018 D-41 yet). Although the playability is much better (compared to my current D-28) and the sound more consistent, crisp and better in projection, I somehow felt it lost that little shimmer that is uniquely Martin, the bass is diminished too. To me, the sound felt a little too... perfect?

So back to my question, will the 2018 D-41 be somewhat similar to the 2018 D-28 in terms of tone?

Is this change of the standard series going to be temporary and the current standard series will still be available or will the new reimagined standard series completely replace the current series?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 PM

I played one but didn't compare to another. It's (as D-41's are) a great instrument. The forward-shifted bracing will change the tone a bit but not necessarily (for everyone) for the better. I would play a couple prior to buying. If you don't have an independent store around you, and you have a GC, then have them bring in one or two for you to sample.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:29 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

I recently bought a 2018 D-41 and love it. Basically, it’s a high-quality “reimagined” version of the HD-28 specs with premium woods and beautiful bling. I sold both my 2016 D-18 and 2017 D-28 to get it...and have absolutely no regrets. My D-41 easily beats both of them in tone, playability and looks.

Here’s my NGD thread: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=499351

Old 02-23-2018, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

SO..does that mean the only difference between the 41-42 and 45 now is the bling?...correct me if I'm wrong...but in the past I thought the 41 and 45 had the same bracing...but the 42 was different..??....#confused
Old 02-23-2018, 06:59 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
SO..does that mean the only difference between the 41-42 and 45 now is the bling?...correct me if I'm wrong...but in the past I thought the 41 and 45 had the same bracing...but the 42 was different..??....#confused
Here’s what Martin has to say about each...

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...018/d-41-2018/

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...018/d-42-2018/

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...018/d-45-2018/

Old 02-23-2018, 06:59 AM

The new D-41 is a much improved guitar in my opinion. If you like the Martin sound, this model, with forward shifted scalloped bracing, now has it in spades. Since all the new 40 series dreads have the same basic build, only the wood quality and bling really differentiate them, on paper. I think they are going to sell a lot of new D-41s to guys who didn’t want to spend the money on a D-42 or D-45 to get the upgraded bracing. In fact, I would never have considered a D-41 in the past, but I would seriously consider one now.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Default it just hit me..

It just hit me....a couple weeks ago at Gruhn's the salesman said "Hey, play this guitar...it's a new D-41"...I didn't expect to like it...(I've always like the 42)...but I could not find anything wrong with it....really liked it...didn't know it had different bracing....hummmmmmm...
Old 02-23-2018, 10:34 AM

The Martin hd-28v has forward shifted scalloped bracing so should sound somewhat similar to that o would think. The new d28 is not scalloped so will sound quite different.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I recently bought a 2018 D-41 and love it. Basically, it’s a high-quality “reimagined” version of the HD-28 specs with premium woods and beautiful bling. I sold both my 2016 D-18 and 2017 D-28 to get it...and have absolutely no regrets. My D-41 easily beats both of them in tone, playability and looks.

Here’s my NGD thread: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=499351
Roy, I played the original D-41 and I love that low-end and a little of that muddiness with the Martin Dread. I didn't get to try the new D-41 but I tried the 2018 D-28. The sound is great and easy to play up the neck but yet, I find something missing... I have the previous D-28 (2016) so I can tell the difference yet... it's something that I cannot place my finger on...

Can you tell me what it is?
Old 02-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The new D-41 is a much improved guitar in my opinion. If you like the Martin sound, this model, with forward shifted scalloped bracing, now has it in spades. Since all the new 40 series dreads have the same basic build, only the wood quality and bling really differentiate them, on paper. I think they are going to sell a lot of new D-41s to guys who didn’t want to spend the money on a D-42 or D-45 to get the upgraded bracing. In fact, I would never have considered a D-41 in the past, but I would seriously consider one now.
Dave, besides the playability - which I wholeheartedly agree is much better, there's some loss in the low-end - I felt a little too crisp - but that was the D-28 (2018 reimagined) as the store still doesn't have the D-41 2018.

They have a last piece of the original D-41... once sold - I believe there will be no new one that I can get on the market.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouselim View Post
Roy, I played the original D-41 and I love that low-end and a little of that muddiness with the Martin Dread. I didn't get to try the new D-41 but I tried the 2018 D-28. The sound is great and easy to play up the neck but yet, I find something missing... I have the previous D-28 (2016) so I can tell the difference yet... it's something that I cannot place my finger on...

Can you tell me what it is?
Actually, I liked the 2017 D-28 a lot. I too had a previous 28 (2014) and to my ears the new version sounded and played better. The new version was more responsive and the tone crisp and rosewood lush. Not sure what you found missing. But then all of this is mucho subjective.

Moving up to the 41 was a major upgrade. By far a better guitar than any other of the standards I’ve own...no surprise given that the 40 style guitars are at the top of the Martin standard food chain. Hopefully you can find a new 41 to play and see for yourself.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
SO..does that mean the only difference between the 41-42 and 45 now is the bling?...
My local mom&pop shop claims that bling is the main difference in the new D line.

My ear really loves the original basic D35 sound. I've been looking at all the D35 varients (ie HD-35 or Avett sig model etc.) but it seems everything they do cuts down on the bass thump to make them more balanced. So, i'm pretty sure the reimagined 2018 D35 will kill the bass too. But, I want the Martin for the outstanding bass heavy thump.

Guess I need to get on the ball and find a pre-2018 D35 while they're still available.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:46 AM

You're comparing apples and oranges. The new D-28 is not scalloped bracing. It is just forward shifted. Once you scallop and forward shift the braces, you usually get the signature Martin tone you are probably after. However, each guitar is different. And our brains are not good at remembering the difference between guitars. If you had your straight braced standard position D-28 guitar in the same room with the new D-28, you would probably notice the new one has more bass. The D-41 would be expected to have more bass than the new D-28 or the D-28 you have.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
My local mom&pop shop claims that bling is the main difference in the new D line.

My ear really loves the original basic D35 sound. I've been looking at all the D35 varients (ie HD-35 or Avett sig model etc.) but it seems everything they do cuts down on the bass thump to make them more balanced. So, i'm pretty sure the reimagined 2018 D35 will kill the bass too. But, I want the Martin for the outstanding bass heavy thump.

Guess I need to get on the ball and find a pre-2018 D35 while they're still available.
I think you got it! It's more balanced (well, at least the D-28 2018) and loses the thump which is the low-end.

I may have to hold on to that last D-41 available in the shop (and it's going for a good discount now!)
Old 02-23-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
You're comparing apples and oranges. The new D-28 is not scalloped bracing. It is just forward shifted. Once you scallop and forward shift the braces, you usually get the signature Martin tone you are probably after. However, each guitar is different. And our brains are not good at remembering the difference between guitars. If you had your straight braced standard position D-28 guitar in the same room with the new D-28, you would probably notice the new one has more bass. The D-41 would be expected to have more bass than the new D-28 or the D-28 you have.
You're right Dave - it's apples to oranges comparison... alas, the store still doesn't have the 2018 D-41 and only the last piece of the 2017 D-41... if I wait for the 2018 D-41, that 2017 D-41 may be gone...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion