The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-21-2018, 02:48 PM

Default NGD Journey OF660

Just received mine today. I am wondering if anyone can comment on the neck attachment bolt. When i put the neck on and it snaps in place, i have a hard time getting the bolt with wingnut to find the insert. when i do it felt very tight and almost gritty to the point where i am afraid it might gall the metal. I removed the bolt and cleaned up any burrs with a wire wheel replaced it and added a small amount of marine grease. Still not smooth. how many turns should I get before it is tight? I am wondering if defect? Other than that and the action way too high , even with the lower saddle provided, the sound is great.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Posting from memory of the one I sold last year but I don't remember any grittiness. It sometimes took a few turns to 'find' the threads but once engaged it came together well. I do remember reading that you really need to crank it down tight to make sure the guitar stays in tune well, which it did. I did buy mine used though so maybe it was broken in?

I just ordered on this week from Ted and it will be here on Monday so I'll check back then and let you know what mine feels like. Did you get yours from Ted at LA Guitars? I know they offer 72-hour approval. If you did I'd call them with your concerns. If you did not he still might chime in here as he's dealt with quite a lot of them so likely would know. You could also email Journey direct. They are good at responding.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:10 PM

The wingnut should require 4 half-turns or so. At least that was the case on both the Journeys I have owned. But it shouldn't be as difficult as you describe. It should "find" the slot right away and turn easily. I would contact the merchant, as something isn't right.

As for the action, yeah, mine was high too, but I was expecting to do a setup anyway.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:14 PM

The action on my OF420 is higher than I like, but I haven't gotten around to sanding down the saddle yet -- may just shim the neck to see how that works. In terms of the bolt, I have to push the large "nut" into the cavity of the body pretty firmly before it graps the bolt, but once it does, it cinches tight with no complaint. I do recommend holding the body between your knees, as this allows you to pull the neck into the body while screwing it down, for closest fit. I will say that the volume I get out of that little beast is rather surprising, given its oo size. I think that the Manzer wedge design really does a lot to maximize the volume of air in the body, and thus the volume of sound.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM

Update. So I played some more with the assembly procedure and discovered that I still have to search a little to get the locking bolt to line up with the threads, but getting better at it. It does not just line right up at first . Also I was thinking that I was done tightening the wingnut after about 1.5 turns as it felt as if that was all I was going to get. Wrong. I found that I need to continue to press the neck hard against the body while turning and now i get a full 4 to 5 turns. The result is a much lower action. I will say that the volume and tone is fantastic IMHO . And one of the most comfortable guitars I have played.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Good to hear you found the technique to make it work. Seems that each new guitar has a "learning curve" that isn't just about the playing. Enjoy that new Journey and post another update when you've had time to explore it more. Nice to have all these CF options.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Good to hear you found the technique to make it work. Seems that each new guitar has a "learning curve" that isn't just about the playing. Enjoy that new Journey and post another update when you've had time to explore it more. Nice to have all these CF options.
Thanks Captain. I think my wood guitar days may be limited. The Emerald X20 woody is really tempting me.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:27 PM

Mine didn't have the attachment issue you mentioned. The action on mine was also high even with the lower saddle provided. Other than that, great sounding travel guitar.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Update. So I played some more with the assembly procedure and discovered that I still have to search a little to get the locking bolt to line up with the threads, but getting better at it. It does not just line right up at first . Also I was thinking that I was done tightening the wingnut after about 1.5 turns as it felt as if that was all I was going to get. Wrong. I found that I need to continue to press the neck hard against the body while turning and now i get a full 4 to 5 turns. The result is a much lower action. I will say that the volume and tone is fantastic IMHO . And one of the most comfortable guitars I have played.
How about the 'grittiness' of the screw action? Does that seem to be getting better? Three more days until I get mine and I'll check back then.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Thanks Captain. I think my wood guitar days may be limited. The Emerald X20 woody is really tempting me.
Lol - you're heading down the route I did! Although I did keep one wood guitar, my Martin 000-18GE Custom. I see that you have a 000-18 as well. Keep that one then grab an X20. I can state for a fact that if you have a 000-18, an X20 and an OF660, you are literally covered for any and all your acoustic guitar needs!!!

Oh, btw, not to be an enabler but there's several beautiful X20's in stock at Emerald right now, including TWO woody's, a fan fret, a 12 string, a 7 string, a baritone, heck - there's even a lefty!
Old 02-23-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
How about the 'grittiness' of the screw action? Does that seem to be getting better? Three more days until I get mine and I'll check back then.
Update: I emailed Journey and got immediate response. They assure me they have NEVER had a neck joint fail. AND the neck joint is warrantied for life! They agreed that the bolt may be just a hair out of alignment , but will not affect the threads and that after a month will break in smoothly. After assembly a dozen times now , it does seem to be a little better and i have kept a close eye on the bolt threads. I see no sign of galling or stripping either on the bolt or the threaded insert. I did learn that I need to press firmly on the neck and get about 4 turns of the wing nut to suck the neck down tight.the added pressure of pressing the neck toward the body makes turning the nut much easier. This also makes the action lower. I will sand the saddle down a bit more to lower slightly. The good news is that I can then back off a turn on the wing nut to raise the action if i want for flat pick or slide. This was a suggestion from Journey production manager, so it is a practice they condone.
Journey offered to exchange the guitar , no questions asked. I have decided to keep. Overall, they are great people to work with and stand behind their product 100%. And i really like this little guitar. I cant believe the bottom end on this thing. One thing they did mention , when i inquired about different strings , is that they have tested the Elixirs and Daddario strings for stress of going back and forth under tension and these 2 brands won out.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Lol - you're heading down the route I did! Although I did keep one wood guitar, my Martin 000-18GE Custom. I see that you have a 000-18 as well. Keep that one then grab an X20. I can state for a fact that if you have a 000-18, an X20 and an OF660, you are literally covered for any and all your acoustic guitar needs!!!

Oh, btw, not to be an enabler but there's several beautiful X20's in stock at Emerald right now, including TWO woody's, a fan fret, a 12 string, a 7 string, a baritone, heck - there's even a lefty!
Hi Methos, yes I know, I look at Emeralds site all too often. LOL . I really like my Composite Acoustic Legacy, and would probably have to choose between it and the X20. I really need to play an X20 someday, from what I read here that would probably put me over the top. Thanks for not being an enabler.LOL
Old 02-23-2018, 07:58 AM

That would be an interesting video comparison. If someone could mix up a CA GX or Legacy and an X20 at the same time under the same setup for a tone comparison that would be very interesting to see.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

As promised above, I'm back after receiving my OF660B yesterday. I have no issue with the neck attachment mechanism finding/starting to thread on. As someone else posted above, I use the method where I 'clasp' the body of the guitar's lower bout between my knees and apply pressure to the neck back and then start turning the large wingnut and it engages almost immediately. Also, there is no rough or grinding to the mechanism. Rather smooth. From memory it feels just like the last one I had.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
As promised above, I'm back after receiving my OF660B yesterday. I have no issue with the neck attachment mechanism finding/starting to thread on. As someone else posted above, I use the method where I 'clasp' the body of the guitar's lower bout between my knees and apply pressure to the neck back and then start turning the large wingnut and it engages almost immediately. Also, there is no rough or grinding to the mechanism. Rather smooth. From memory it feels just like the last one I had.
So glad you are liking your Of660. Mine has still got a little bit of grinding going on until about the 3rd turn, then very smooth. I was told could be a hair off and will break in shortly. It seems to be.
I just ordered a set of Aluminum bronze both a light set and a medium light set to try. Any other suggestions out their for strings?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber