The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-20-2017, 08:44 AM

Congratulations, Captain Jim, on the new X20! Enjoy it!
Barb
Old 02-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

We play a lot of "music trivia" in our house. Official ruling: 200 bonus points for Kris Kristofferson! And, a public admonishment for me to stick to my rock roots.

"Pleased with my Select Series X20"?? That may be the understatement of the year. <--- Can't seem to wipe that smile off my face.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Today is Monday. Sooo... JD, we are all looking forward to your son's reaction.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:59 AM

yes yes , I am anxious for him to get it as well !! He actually showed up late last nite and I was tempted , but it was too late to begin such a journey . Like most college students ... he is lacking sleep and his visits home are a chance to make some of it up .

It will likely be this afternoon as we have all sorts of distractions on our plate today .

JD

ps ... we are going to see the 'Experience Hendrix ' show tonite ...have you seen the lineup ? Holy Cow !
Old 02-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz1 View Post
yes yes , I am anxious for him to get it as well !! He actually showed up late last nite and I was tempted , but it was too late to begin such a journey . Like most college students ... he is lacking sleep and his visits home are a chance to make some of it up .

It will likely be this afternoon as we have all sorts of distractions on our plate today .

JD

ps ... we are going to see the 'Experience Hendrix ' show tonite ...have you seen the lineup ? Holy Cow !
Timing is everything. I can't wait to see how you pull this off!

PS. I looked at the Experience Hendrix line up - impressive! I was not aware of this tour until you said something. You two are going to have a great time!
Old 02-20-2017, 06:17 PM

Talking

And heeeeeere's Mikey!!!

This is Mike, JD's son. This thing is insane! I can't believe how bright and warm and big it sounds! We put some new strings on it and it got even better, which is hard to believe. JD had me watch a video of it being played this morning, and I was drooling over how beautiful it was. Little did I know it was in the other room. What a surprise. I will be playing it for the rest of my life. Maybe someday when I make it big , I will buy him one ! This whole thread was a fun read for me . Thanks ! Mike

Well there ya have it .

We did shoot a few videos of the reveal and also him jamming with it . We are off to the show , but I will work with those tomorrow .

Thanks for playing along . JD
Old 02-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Guest 928

Way cool. Looking forward to subsequent reports.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Well, that is very cool! Glad to hear that your Dad kept it a secret, Mike. A very special guitar for a deserving young man... from a great Dad!

Can't wait to see the video of the reveal - have fun at the Experience tonight!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
After Emerald announced their Select Series for 2017, I have watched with great interest to see what would be next. When I checked e-mail this morning, the February Select Series offerings were in my in-box.

Now, I will admit I have been giving some consideration to ordering an X20... but I guess I am an immediate gratification kinda guy. When I bought my X7, it was a cocobolo veneer that pushed me off the fence. The 4 month wait would be tough on me, even though Sean said they'd ship it wherever our travels take us. I ordered an X7 Opus that they had in stock, and had it in my hands (Ireland to south Texas) in 4 days! Yes, I know that every air shipper and delivery truck had to align just right for that to happen. That may be the time to beat.

From the moment I opened the box on the X7, I was hooked. It wasn't my first carbon fiber, but my first Emerald. They made the buying experience an absolute delight. And, the X7 has become the guitar I pick up the most. It is SO comfortable. Yeah, I've said this before.

Back to this morning's e-mail - I opened it and saw that they had two X20s as part of this month's Select Series... and one of them was already sold! When my wife got up, I said, "Check this out..."

She said, "You've been thinking about an X20 - is that what you'd order if you were going for a custom?"

I had to admit that I looked up louro preto to see what kind of wood it is. Unlike a wood guitar, this is all about the looks, and I do like how that cocobolo looks. I've been following the discussion about CITES and rosewood and cocobolo. No issue with louro preto. The first one that sold had more sapwood, this one has a smaller bit of sapwood and a couple birdseye figures. And, the back and sides are black CF weave gloss (I do like the crystal ice finish on the back and sides of my X7) - I think that sets off the wood veneer nicely. Well, in the photos.

The Blonde said, "Get what you want - you can wait if you have to." SO much of what would be my "ideal" on this one. I clicked "Buy It"... in a nano-second, it said my credit card was denied... ??? My wife called the credit card company, and they assured her it was nothing they did.

I sent an e-mail to Sean at Emerald, and even though it was now after hours in Ireland, he got right on it. I held my breath for a few moments, until the PayPal request came through... SOLD! To me. Whew!

I joked with Sean that doing this all on a Friday, after hours, AN Post probably won't be able to beat their previous record, even though we are now near a big city and not on an island.

A preview...

http://emeraldguitars.com/?v=06b152301bbe

The X7 was a delightful surprise when I opened the box. I have never played an X20, and have come to appreciate a smaller guitar. Reading several reviews here on the X20, including the description of "a bigger guitar that doesn't feel big" was a big help in this decision. As was the immediate gratification factor.

Kudos to Alistair, Sean, and the staff at Emerald for the Select Series concept... very welcome for those of us who are afflicted with "CWS" (Can't Wait Syndrome). Yeah, now the delivery wait.

Captain Jim
Cap'n.....just looking at this pic up close again..my goodness that's such a good looking instrument!

This may sound like a silly question but how big is the sound hole? Can you stick your hand in it? I'm curious if it would be possible to install an x-brace for the tonewood amp.

6 more days will be my 4 month mark! I have just one little interesting thing on mine that I don't think I've seen on any yet...well that and the veneer. That veneer that you got is absolutely gorgeous...never heard of louro preto before either.... and of course the beauty of it is...it doesn't have to be a gorgeous tonewood...it just needs to be a gorgeous wood!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Cap'n.....just looking at this pic up close again..my goodness that's such a good looking instrument!

This may sound like a silly question but how big is the sound hole? Can you stick your hand in it? I'm curious if it would be possible to install an x-brace for the tonewood amp.

6 more days will be my 4 month mark! I have just one little interesting thing on mine that I don't think I've seen on any yet...well that and the veneer. That veneer that you got is absolutely gorgeous...never heard of louro preto before either.... and of course the beauty of it is...it doesn't have to be a gorgeous tonewood...it just needs to be a gorgeous wood!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Hey ChiTown Todd,

I think it depends on the size of your hands... our President, no problem... Shaquille O'Neal, probably not. You know what they say: big hands... big gloves.

OK, that out of the way, I can just fit my hand into mine... oh, that is nice in there. I've reached my hands into boat compartments (with raw fiberglass) and pulled back a bloody paw. Not with this lovely guitar.

I'm digressing again, aren't I?

Four months? And you seem so normal? So, are you going to tell us what that "one interesting thing" is or keep us waiting until you have the guitar in your (fill in the size) hands?

Yes, the woodies are about the looks... because I am assuming all these Emeralds sound great! Funny thing, it was a gorgeous cocobolo X20 that pushed me off the fence when I was considering an X7... and, I have to say I think that black carbon fiber X7 is really sharp looking. And, it sounded so good, it made me want an X20. And, here we are.

As a boat guy, I have had people ask me about buying "the right boat." My response: when you walk away from the boat, and you have to turn around and look once more, and smile - it's the right boat. I look at this guitar... and I smile. Yeah, it's the right guitar.

Looking forward to hearing about your incoming!

Jim
Old 02-21-2017, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Jim

What a beautiful guitar! Just as gorgeous as the Cocobolo one they previously had on their page.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post

Hey Todd,

We actually have a ToneWood Amp here in the office and the X20's design actually make it much easier and quicker to install it and take it out again, without any hassle! We've only briefly messed around with the ToneWood Amp, but it's definitely great fun!

Best Wishes,

Sean
Old 02-21-2017, 04:02 AM

I was pretty resolute in my "purist" view that seeing carbon weave was best possible look a CF guitar could ever have.

Seeing this photo and the recent videos and photos of these Emeralds has really altered my "bias" and worldview.

These guitars are off the scale gorgeous. The one in your hands in this photo makes me drool.

That has to be a joy to wake up and see each morning. Play long and in good health!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, AC. I'm right there with you regarding the look of the carbon fiber weave being striking. These wood veneers take it to a whole 'nuther level of beauty (in the eye of the beholder, of course)... and still give you that CF weave on the sides, back, and neck.

The Emerald designs (and carbon fiber offerings in general) have been eye-opening to me... a guitar not made of wood? I couldn't imagine the sound could be so good. Then, make 'em all swoopy-like? And off-set the sound hole?? What kind of blasphemy is this??

Then, this guy from Ireland takes wood that is certainly out of the ordinary sources for guitars and mixes it with carbon fiber to make guitars like we've never seen before?!? And, they aren't just about pretty, but they sound great, play great, and are sensuously comfortable?? Oh, come on - how much can a traditional guitar player take???

I love it. I embrace it. And I can't wait to see what Alistair does next!

-------------

And for the record, my true joy is waking up next to the Blonde each morning... and she likes the guitar playing.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:41 PM

Just so ya know ... 'Experience Hendrix ' is an outstanding show with a lineup that won't quit !!! Do go .

Mike's time with his X20 so far has been fantastic . He absolutely cannot put it down . We got home from the show late and within 30 seconds he way playing and we just about had to get mad at him to get him to stop ( a good nites sleep and all ) ... when he finally relented and we all went to bed , I could still here a faint guitar from his room . I smiled .

The guitar arrived in tune ! Perfectly . His first strum was met with " it's loud " . After a bit of exploring around , we changed strings to his favs...Elixir Nanoweb Phos. Brnz lites and it got louder and warmer . The set up is perfect as is . I asked him if a trip to see Charlie was in order ( who has set up all of his electrics and may be part wizard ) , and he said NO , it needs nothing !!

My video skills ... well they aren't skills I guess , are not too pretty good . Thanks to all who have encouraged me(us) through this process !!

Here goes :
pt 1 is the reveal
pt 2 is unplugged noodling
pt 3 is plugged in
pt 4 is general goofing off

https://youtu.be/yw-j0-uY3zU
https://youtu.be/Wc93Tcp50e8
https://youtu.be/FXbz6J69J60
https://youtu.be/_Lwe-CsDZX0

Thx !! JD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber