The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Taylor Deluxe 800 series

Walked into our local guitar store and was very impressed with the Taylor Deluxe 800 series guitar. 12 fretter with arm bevel. Expensive but, Wow, impressive sounding and playing guitar. I had never seen one with the transverse rear bracing, didn't know they even existed. With all the talk about the V bracing being an advertising gimmick, still makes me wonder if they don't really know what they are doing in creating quality stuff. This one sure was.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
Walked into our local guitar store and was very impressed with the Taylor Deluxe 800 series guitar. 12 fretter with arm bevel. Expensive but, Wow, impressive sounding and playing guitar. I had never seen one with the transverse rear bracing, didn't know they even existed. With all the talk about the V bracing being an advertising gimmick, still makes me wonder if they don't really know what they are doing in creating quality stuff. This one sure was.
Likely why they call it the "Deluxe" Series.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:14 AM

Hi,

The diagonal rear bracing has been on the regular 800 and 600 series for a few years now. I have a 612ce 12 fret (first edition from 2015) with it, and the redesigned 800s from 2014 have it. The braces don’t go all the way to the edge, either, and taper thinner as they approach the sides.

It would be impossible for me to tell how much difference any particular feature makes without disassembling it, changing it, and rebuilding it. I like it too much to do that! So I am completely willing to defer to their preferred pattern since it works for me!

But back to my point, it’s not just a deluxe thing. I think the biggest feature that the 800 deluxe adds is the arm bevel.

Have a good one,
Stan
Old 02-25-2018, 08:27 AM

I played an 814 at my local GC last week and was really impressed by the tone. A little throatier than what my previous Taylor experiences. Although I have to say the thing had the worst setup I've ever seen on a Taylor guitar. Just awful.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
I played an 814 at my local GC last week and was really impressed by the tone. A little throatier than what my previous Taylor experiences. Although I have to say the thing had the worst setup I've ever seen on a Taylor guitar. Just awful.
That's unusual. Was it a new 814???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
When you are demoing a guitar at a store you must assume that it has been abused. If it was a "new" out of the box Taylor it would be different. I've never seen a Taylor that didn't have a great OEM setup. That's not true for all manufacturers. I just purchased a new Rainsong. Horrible setup and QC. After a good setup the guitar is great. If I demoed this guitar with the OEM setup and my opinion was based on that experience I would have thought that Rainsong guitars were terrible.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-25-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanstep3 View Post
I think the biggest feature that the 800 deluxe adds is the arm bevel.
I'm not sure what, if any, sonic difference it makes, but the DLX does have Adirondack bracing.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
... With all the talk about the V bracing being an advertising gimmick...
Keep in mind it nothing but internet forum talk. Whether one likes guitars with V-bracing or not, it is no gimmick.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Keep in mind it nothing but internet forum talk. Whether one likes guitars with V-bracing or not, it is no gimmick.
It's gonna be different. If they are planning on installing this pattern on the whole line they must be confident it in as they will be betting the whole farm. I think they'll wait to see how it is received from a sales standpoint first. If folks will spend $5k for these guitars the cheaper models would be a good bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I'm not sure what, if any, sonic difference it makes, but the DLX does have Adirondack bracing.
The Adi bracing makes a considerable sonic difference. It tightens up the sound and takes some of the boom out of the bass- something that people may or may not like. I'm finding that my 814ceDLX needed to find the right set of strings and had to lighten my touch to really bring out its voicing. The 814ce is a wonderful instrument but can sometimes get muddy depending on how it's played and the individual unit. They all sound considerably different in front of the guitars than from player's position. I suspect the Adi bracing will open up more over time, but will take more to play in.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-25-2018, 05:12 PM

I also played an 812ce DLX 12 fret. Loved it.

Sometimes I wish Taylor would offer the DLX options on the 600 and 500 series. I need a 618e with a bevel.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:31 PM

My local GC has a standard 814ce that is amazing. It's huge sounding. Even though I've played the new V-braced 914ce, which was really nice, I'd much rather have the 814ce.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erivel View Post
My local GC has a standard 814ce that is amazing. It's huge sounding. Even though I've played the new V-braced 914ce, which was really nice, I'd much rather have the 814ce.
When you stumble upon the right 814 they are amazing. From what I've heard on the snippets, the sounds of the V braced Taylors are "different". Someone
in another thread described them as "more vintage sounding with a Taylor vibe" (if I'm recalling correctly). Unfortunately tomorrow night is the Taylor hoo-hah at CME and I've got a meeting that I'm required to attend at that time . I really would have liked to have been there.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Default the deluxe

To my ear the current 814ce Deluxe...is the best playing and sounding guitar from Taylor I've ever played. I like their 12 fretters...but plugged in...DO NOT LIKE THEM!!...BUT...this 814ce Deluxe to my ear actually amplified much better...lot's of bottom end and clear as a bell....BUT...it spensive$$$$...for a Taylor....but I "may" have one some day!!!
Old 02-26-2018, 12:44 PM

i just played a 714ce at my local shop. Looked like a custom special order as it was bursted and ornate but wow what a guitar and I'm not a taylor guy. It was so **** expensive, otherwise I would have popped on it. No idea what bracing it was. Spruce and rosewood. Played so well. incredibly even, nice projection and very musical.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I also played an 812ce DLX 12 fret. Loved it.

Sometimes I wish Taylor would offer the DLX options on the 600 and 500 series. I need a 618e with a bevel.
I'd love to play a taylor 12 fretter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion