The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-12-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I have no male friends that I could call for an emergency. Funny enough I have one female friend that I could call anytime about anything and she can do the same. We are only friends; she shares her boy problems with me and I share my girl problems with her.

I've never really bonded with guys; was thinking about that the other day.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Never heard the term before, but I have a friend who is awesome! We don't get to communicate like we used to since I have moved from KC area to DFW area 3 years ago. We have been very close since 1990. Both of us are 68 years old. And coincidentally he is in surgery as I write this in Leawood, Ks. for hip replacement surgery. He was very active all of his life, handball, tennis, basketball early on, treadmill, etc. But, Arthur got him. Praying for a speedy recovery of a successful procedure. Thanks for the post, the timing for me was indeed providential.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

I would have to be pretty desperate to call someone at 2 AM, and that would probably be because of some tragedy I hope I never have to live through.

My wife would the first one I'd call, assuming that I wasn't next to her. Or my son. And I could call two of my brothers.

- Glenn
Old 02-12-2018, 04:28 PM

I think I could call most of my friends at 2 AM if I REALLY needed to. But I can't quite imagine what circumstances would make me think or feel that I had such a time sensitive need. To take me to a hospital? I'd probably just call 911 if my wife weren't around. Bail me out of jail? I think my risk for being arrested is quite low these days, and if arrested, I can't imagine anything happening in my life that would necessitate a very hasty return to freedom. And while I like social support and emotional consolation as much as anyone else, I'd still place my friend's comfort first and let them sleep.

The only situation I can imagine would be a late night medical emergency occurring when my wife iss away, if I were anticipating that I wouldn't be able to call at a more opportune time to request that my friend take care of my dog in the morning.

But it is a comfort to know that, if unforeseeable circumstances did arise, I have several friends that I could call, and who I trust would respond well.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Living in a condo, I have a property management company, a caretaker and some neighbour friends who I could call at 2:00 AM - in an emergency. Anyone else would think I am loosing my marbles.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 AM

Interesting question, one I had not previously considered. And the answer for me is even more interesting, for me at least. Yes, as a minister I have several male friends I could call at 2:00 a.m. who would gladly take my call, knowing that I would never abuse that honor. The odd thing is that I have more of these 2:00 a.m. friends than I have buddies to hang out with during normal waking hours. (Close acquaintances are a bit different from hang out buddies, if you know what I mean.)

cotten
Old 02-14-2018, 06:01 AM

I think this is a remarkable thread. Studies repeatedly indicate that the number one problem among older people isn't health or housing or diet. It's loneliness. And here we have a thread where almost 60% of the discussants admit that they don't have a close friend. I thought I was the outlier in that department, but it turns out I'm mainstream. I wish I felt comforted by that, but I don't.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

I guess I misunderstood the question

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-23-2018, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

In the past I would've said that I had three friendships at that level. My closest friend died of esophageal cancer almost two years ago. I guess the other two have experienced too much drift after not living near each other for 20 years. We rarely even talk any more. Sad.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:04 AM

Depending upon the situation, I've got a few friends I could call at that hour for assistance. They also know they can do the same with me.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone else experienced an onslaught of SPAM after opening the link in the OP????
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-23-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Has anyone else experienced an onslaught of SPAM after opening the link in the OP????
Yes.

Was that poll in the original thread when it first started? Must have been, but, I don't remember seeing it because I would have clicked on it then. I have never seen that type of poll before.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:33 PM

Yes, I have a friend I could call at any time should the need arise. But he lives about 150 miles away. But if I needed him, he’d hop in his car and drive. Even though we don’t see each other often, it’s a bond that is strong and permanent. And I would do the same for him. And he would do it for my wife.

Great friends can be hard to find and harder to keep. I’m fortunate to have a friend like that.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 PM

Default 2AM, oh no

Don't think so. It'd have to be mighty important to try that one on somebody.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic